Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024 | 09:21 PM
11pointer
|
Stage II
Default Speedometer not working

Alright guys I have searched the forum I think as much as possible and cannot find any help fixing my speedo, my odometer and trip meter work as they should and the turn signals cancel out, my only issue is the speedometer not working and have replaced the sensor and also cleaned the ignition switch and contacts with wd40 but still no luck, any help would be appreciated
2006 Softail Deluxe

Last edited by 11pointer; 06-07-2024 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Model and year
Old 06-07-2024 | 10:40 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 11pointer

Alright guys I have searched the forum I think as much as possible and cannot find any help fixing my speedo, my odometer and trip meter work as they should and the turn signals cancel out, my only issue is the speedometer not working and have replaced the sensor and also cleaned the ignition switch and contacts with wd40 but still no luck, any help would be appreciated
2006 Softail Deluxe

It would seem with only the speedometer not working, and all other signals and lights are working, the problem could very well be the speedometer itself...

Have you removed the console, and inspected the wires/connector that plugs into the speedometer itself...?

That would be my next step...

FWIW..... If you get your hands on a 2006 Softail Electrical Diagnostic Manual, it will tell how to trouble shoot the speedometer itself. It usually has a bunch of flow charts, "If this... then this" type stuff. I have an electrical diagnostic manual for each of my bikes. I use it much less than the service manuals or even the parts catalogs.... but when I need it, it's gold...

I'm not a gifted electrical guru, but there are several on this forum... I struggle through electrical stuff and can often prevail... but it's not easy for me..

I can offer this advice.. When it comes to any diagnostics, be systematic, be thorough, and be persistent..... You'll get it eventually..

Keep us posted along the way, there are many who can help...

Old 06-07-2024 | 11:55 PM
11pointer
|
Stage II

Originally Posted by hattitude
It would seem with only the speedometer not working, and all other signals and lights are working, the problem could very well be the speedometer itself...

Have you removed the console, and inspected the wires/connector that plugs into the speedometer itself...?

That would be my next step...

FWIW..... If you get your hands on a 2006 Softail Electrical Diagnostic Manual, it will tell how to trouble shoot the speedometer itself. It usually has a bunch of flow charts, "If this... then this" type stuff. I have an electrical diagnostic manual for each of my bikes. I use it much less than the service manuals or even the parts catalogs.... but when I need it, it's gold...

I'm not a gifted electrical guru, but there are several on this forum... I struggle through electrical stuff and can often prevail... but it's not easy for me..

I can offer this advice.. When it comes to any diagnostics, be systematic, be thorough, and be persistent..... You'll get it eventually..

Keep us posted along the way, there are many who can help...
Thanks a bushel, all the wires and connectors at the speedometer itself appear good and nothing out of the ordinary, will locate the electrical manual for it and troubleshoot from there and update as I go.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (06-08-2024)