Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Nightrain gurgling sound in gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024 | 04:49 PM
Brookiez28
|
Novice
Default '06 Nightrain gurgling sound in gas tank

After turning off my bike today I heard a hissing / gurgling sound on the bike. Took the gas cap off and I can see the gas moving slightly (tank is about 1/3 full) and can hear the hissing / gurgling sound as if there is a very small amount air getting into the tank through the gas line some how and bubbling up through the gas in the tank There is no gas leaking anywhere external of the tank. I also checked the bike an hour after turning it off and engine was relatively cool and STILL making the noise!
Would appreciate any ideas on what could cause this and what the fix would be.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE - I checked the bike again after 3 hours . Still making the noise but I believe its the FUEL PUMP running while the bike is turned off. Totally bizarre. I have the bike on a trickle charger. I unplugged that, tried to start the bike and just got a clicking noise. Lights and signals work, but won't start. I'll disconnect the battery and reset the ECM (Thundermax) tomorrow and see how it goes. Feel free to offer up any trouble shooting thoughts!

Last edited by Brookiez28; 05-05-2024 at 07:53 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-05-2024 | 05:21 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Seeing it’s an 06 more than likely #27 has gotten hard and cracked.

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024 | 05:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Fuel pump runs all the time when a FI is running. Holds 65 psi at idle or WOT.

Probably just bleeding off from the pressure relief. That relief housing can crack. The cap is one way vent in. The vent tube attached has a verticle restriction part. This keeps liquid from surging out.

Is bike running bad. If the feed pressure hose is cracked, idle since that is lean anyway will be first to go.

PS.. Welcome to the HDFORUM. Only as a suggestion, make another new thread over in the new member welcome area to say hello

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-05-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2024 | 06:29 PM
Brookiez28
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Fuel pump runs all the time when a FI is running. Holds 65 psi at idle or WOT.

Probably just bleeding off from the pressure relief. That relief housing can crack. The cap is one way vent in. The vent tube attached has a verticle restriction part. This keeps liquid from surging out.

Is bike running bad. If the feed pressure hose is cracked, idle since that is lean anyway will be first to go.

PS.. Welcome to the HDFORUM. Only as a suggestion, make another new thread over in the new member welcome area to say hello
Thanks Jackie Paper. Is the relief valve the same as the check valve? If so, does the gas tank have to be removed to replace the part?

Old 05-05-2024 | 06:31 PM
Brookiez28
|
Novice

I checked the bike again after 3 hours . Still making the noise but I believe its the FUEL PUMP running while the bike is turned off. Totally bizarre. I have the bike on a trickle charger. I unplugged that, tried to start the bike and just got a clicking noise. Lights and signals work, but won't start. I'll disconnect the battery and reset the ECM (Thundermax) tomorrow and see how it goes. Feel free to offer up any trouble shooting thoughts!

Last edited by Brookiez28; 05-05-2024 at 07:54 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 05-06-2024 | 04:33 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Harley calls it a regulator. Item 5. Sounds like if fuel pump is running you have an issue with fuel pump relay sticking or ECM.

Parts come out of tank from the top with it on the bike if that really is your issue. Pull relay for pump to decide what noise really is.

When you start adding piggy back attachments, I'm no help for sure.

Old 05-06-2024 | 06:03 AM
Brookiez28
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Harley calls it a regulator. Item 5. Sounds like if fuel pump is running you have an issue with fuel pump relay sticking or ECM.

Parts come out of tank from the top with it on the bike if that really is your issue. Pull relay for pump to decide what noise really is.

When you start adding piggy back attachments, I'm no help for sure.

Got it. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll have a better idea this afternoon..

The following users liked this post:
Jackie Paper (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024 | 06:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Is the fuel pump powered via a relay? Relay's do stick, which would constantly power the fuel pump, and would drain a battery.

Old 05-06-2024 | 07:04 AM
Brookiez28
|
Novice

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Is the fuel pump powered via a relay? Relay's do stick, which would constantly power the fuel pump, and would drain a battery.
Thanks Foxtrapper. Will be checking this afternoon. I'll give updates after I determine source of problem. I believe it drained the battery yesterday as the bike would not turn over after the pump/regulator running for 2-3 hours after bike was off. After 1 hour I figured out it was an electric issue. Hopefully I can find the source today.

Old 05-06-2024 | 07:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

System relay gives power thru the 15 amp fuse only after ECM get the hits from crank position sensor (CPS)( ECM gives ground to magnetic coil in relay) Then you get running pump and ignition for spark.

The first couple seconds that you hear fuel pump when you key on is a timer in ECM giving power to the 15 amp fuse.

Doesn't have a BCM yet . That's around 2011? Please correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-06-2024 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: '06 Nightrain gurgling sound in gas tank