Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitting A HD Flushmount Fuel Gauge To An Older Softail

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024 | 09:14 PM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced
Default Fitting A HD Flushmount Fuel Gauge To An Older Softail

Have you ever wondered if a HD flushmount fuelgauge/gas cap (62818-06G) will work on an older softail? Don't worry, I tried it so you don't have to. The HD website lists it as Fits '08-'17 Softail® (except FLSTNSE, FXCW, FXCWC, FXS, FXSB, FXSBSE and FXSE), '08-later Road King® and ‘15-later Freewheeler™ models.

I tried it on a carbed 2002 softail standard. Can you make it work? absolutely. Is it a PITA? You bet. After getting it installed and working I can see why they list it as not fitting. The gas cap was no problem. Just understand the fact no matter how well you try and line the trim ring up, it will never be perfect. The curve of the tank is obviously slightly different, and again they say it won't fit so to be expected. But if you really like it and are dead set on it, you will get the trim ring close enough and move on with life. I suppose you could remove the adhesive, sand it to a perfect fit, apply new adhesive and move on. I opted to call it good enough.

Now on to the fuel gauge, which was the major PITA. First and foremost, I went into this with no doubt I could get the electronics working. I had already retrofitted my bike to use the 3 wire fuel gauges a while back, and plenty of info can be found on here on how to do that. The biggest issue, without a doubt, was clearance between the fuel gauge, and the fact the sending unit sits underneath it. If anyone has installed these on newer bikes, you understand how you push the gauge down to release the spring tension which holds the gauge into the housing. The problem is on these older bikes, it is impossible to mount the housing, then push the spring back down as it bottoms out on the sending unit. Long story short, if you buy it, it will work electronically after retrofitting to a 3 wire setup. But be prepared to do some major modifications to the bottom side of the gauge to get the clearance off the sending unit. I didn't get any pictures of the install (sorry I should have) but essentially you'll need to trim the bottom of the gauge, route wiring, etc. until you can barley make it fit. I'll upload some finished pictures in a bit, but basically yes it's doable, although not recommended. I hope this answers a question I have seen multiple times on here, with no answers.

Last edited by hyoslvr; 04-16-2024 at 09:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hyoslvr:
blu92in99 (04-16-2024), hattitude (04-17-2024), maverickmk (04-17-2024)