Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Fatboy engine codes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024 | 12:09 PM
DieselHaphazard
|
6th Gear
Default 2002 Fatboy engine codes.

Finally got the codes out of my 2002 FLSTF-I. 16,000 miles on it.
I've got:
23 - Front cylinder fuel injector
32 - Rear cylinder fuel injector
41 - Crank position sensor
53 - ROM error or failure.

The bike seems to be running normally. The last major repair it got was a fuel tank reline 2 years ago including a new fuel pump, level sender, filter, pressure regulator, crossover hose, and hoses inside the tank. The line between the tank and the injectors was clean. But, it was replaced as well. I'm guessing I should have replaced the injectors as well. Those are most likely the cause for the 23 and 32. I'm fine with replacing those. But, wanted to see if there was anything else to look out for before changing the injectors.
The wiring to the crank sensor looks OK. And, that's probably just a failed sensor. I can replace that as well if there aren't any other issues that would cause that code.

I am worried about the 53- ROM error or failure.

I had a Power Commander 3 on this bike for a while. I removed it when I did the tank repair and never reinstalled it. The bike runs fine. Except for the red engine light coming on after 5 minutes of riding.

Any thing that I should be looking for?

Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by DieselHaphazard; 04-08-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2024 | 02:34 PM
DieselHaphazard
|
6th Gear

Some additional information...

Ignition/Run = ON - Fuel pressure goes to 60 PSI then drops to 0.
Engine at idle - Fuel pressure is at 55-60 PSI. The gauge needle shakes.

I removed the fuel tank top plate looking for fuel leaks inside the tank. When the ignition is turned on, the pump primes the system. There's a large amount of fuel spraying out of the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator when this happens.
I didn't see any leaks from the other lines.

Old 04-09-2024 | 04:19 PM
MarlinSpike
Road Master

Mr. H hopefully will chime in if I am wrong or to add to my opinion.
The one thing I do not completely follow is that you say it goes to 60 psi and then 0 psi. If that is after the ignition is turned off, then what you described is normal.
The pump pressurizes the system and purges air so fuel is ready to go when the engine is turned over.
What I believe you are seeing is the regulator purging the system. Now, if it kept spraying from the regulator after the pump stopped, then that is not correct. If you watch the fuel pressure it should pump up and hold in ready-to-start mode. Slowly over time, it will bleed down after shutdown. Not sure how quickly that happens.

Mr. H will probably have a much clearer and more accurate description of the system than I fumble along trying to say.

Last edited by MarlinSpike; 04-09-2024 at 04:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hattitude (04-09-2024)
Old 04-09-2024 | 06:57 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MarlinSpike

Mr. H hopefully will chime in if I am wrong or to add to my opinion.

The one thing I do not completely follow is that you say it goes to 60 psi and then 0 psi. If that is after the ignition is turned off, then what you described is normal.

The pump pressurizes the system and purges air so fuel is ready to go when the engine is turned over.

What I believe you are seeing is the regulator purging the system. Now, if it kept spraying from the regulator after the pump stopped, then that is not correct.

If you watch the fuel pressure it should pump up and hold in ready-to-start mode. Slowly over time, it will bleed down after shutdown. Not sure how quickly that happens.

Mr. H will probably have a much clearer and more accurate description of the system than I fumble along trying to say.

Spot on..... with one caveat. Even if the engine is turned off, there will still be some residual pressure in the line at the tank fitting for awhile. It shouldn't immediately drop to 0 psi. I have removed my tank connector hours after shutting off the bike, and some gas spits out from the residual pressure in the line.

OP, if the pressure drops immediately to 0 psi when the pump shuts off, measured at the tank connection, AND you see fuel from the regulator housing after the pump shuts off.... I suspect you have a crack in your regulator housing. A common issue with the OEM plastic fuel pressure housings.

This just happened to another forum member, in another thread.

Look at post #1 and #10 here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-off-idle.html

You pressure gauge needle shaking when it is running, could suggest the leak is still small enough for the fuel pump to overpower the leak.... and the bike runs normally in most conditions

The leak will first start to manifest itself during idle and/or full throttle acceleration. You will get stumbles in the rpm and/or it will seem to be missing....

Last edited by hattitude; 04-09-2024 at 07:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (04-12-2024)
Old 04-15-2024 | 12:36 PM
DieselHaphazard
|
6th Gear

SO, here's what I found....
The crankshaft position sensor was on its way out. Replaced that with a new sensor from the dealer.

Picked up a Dynojet Power Vision Black from Fuel Moto. Also spoke with Scott at Dynojet.
Scott had me send him my current tune and diagnostic readout from my bike. He came up with a custom OEM base tune for me.
I loaded that tune into the bike and took it for a ride. Bike ran and there was no check engine light on.
Came back home and loaded the tune from Fuel Moto. Ran the bike. No engine light and what a difference!!! Extremely happy!!

As far as the fuel spraying out of the bottom of the regulator. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen like it is.. The pressure spikes to 60PSI with the ignition on and immediately drops to 0PSI.
No slow bleed off. Just Ignition on..pump comes on...60PSI...pump stops..pressure drops to 0PSI. Fuel is spraying out of the bottom of the regulator housing when this is happening.
I have the aluminum Trask regulator housing installed so it's not a cracked housing.
I ordered a new regulator, filter, and lines for inside the tank. If I'm taking it apart again, I might as well just change everything in one shot.

I'll update the thread once I get that handled.

The following 2 users liked this post by DieselHaphazard:
hattitude (04-15-2024), MarlinSpike (04-16-2024)