Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Fatboy puking oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024 | 04:57 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
Wow.... I didn't remember it being that high for parts...

However, I just checked my my parts cost for that upgrade on one of my bikes and it was back in 2018. I thought it was much more recent than that.... my bad...

My parts (minus tuner), were $1100 in 2018. If his parts include a tuner or tune license and tune, that could be a fair number for 2024...
He never mentioned a tune in the price. I am running the screaming eagle performance module. So it should tune itself with a couple switch flips.besides it's gonna be a minute till I get the 2100 together. Would you know if bad o- rings would let the oil drain back down

Old 04-08-2024 | 05:09 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tar_snake
If parts are that much, you could damn near buy a nice banged up rat bike scoot for that price. Sell that thing you have and get a shovelhead or evo bike and not worry about those damned cam things. I *hated* having to check on those things every ~5000 miles when I had an '09 Super Glide. It was just one of the things that turned me off 'computerized' bikes. Once that thing blew up on me after 87,000 miles, I sold it for $1500 and got me an evo Super Glide. Had it for about 5 years before a cager t-boned me. Now I have an evo Heritage Classic. No one on the planet has enough money to give me to go back to using anything that doesn't have a carburetor.
Good call thank you

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-13-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 05:17 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Gents, could the buddy have done something to damage the bike, or was it just coincidental that the tensioner STB while in his care and control? @OP, was the oil light on when your buddy returned the bike? Have you asked him the timeline?

I'd never loan my bike out, nor would any of my biker friends ever ask. But that's just me.
No disrespect at no means.
I seen a brother going through some stuff and I wasn't taking no for an answer. He needed a way to get around but never asked. I'm putting the problem on a crappy Harley year with crappy parts. It was just it's time. Now it's time to get a more bullet proof year.

tar_snake (04-13-2024)
Old 04-08-2024 | 08:28 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Shaggy520

He never mentioned a tune in the price. I am running the screaming eagle performance module. So it should tune itself with a couple switch flips.besides it's gonna be a minute till I get the 2100 together. Would you know if bad o- rings would let the oil drain back down

I doubt it, at least not at the speed you said the oil tank was draining....

Even if the main oil pump o-ring (on the oil pump case) was missing, it would affect pressure & flow, but I don't see it allowing the oil tank to drain as quickly on shut down as you report.

The large oil pump o-ring on the oil pump scavenger side snorkel, will greatly affect the scavenging abilities of the oil pump, and can lead to sumping while running, but not the oil tank draining back into the sump after shut down...

The smaller cam plate o-ring on the oil pump feed side of the cam plate, even if missing, I just can't see it allowing the oil tank to drain as quickly on shut down as you report.

Based on what you have described, I am expecting some broken parts in the cam chest, most likely the oil pump, like oil pump gerotors, oil pump case, or some other major void to allow the oil tank to drain so quickly on shutdown, you can't check the oil level....

I can't wait to see what you find when you pull that cam plate...

Last edited by hattitude; 04-08-2024 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2024 | 12:54 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Any update?

Old 04-12-2024 | 01:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

Originally Posted by Shaggy520
Don't spend $2100. When the tensioner went, I suspect that the oil pump ate some of the pad material and the oil pump gerotors have been damaged, probably broken. The two separtor plates (#5, post #26) and the wavy washer (#6, post #26) between the gerotors are there to keep pressure on the pump against the cam plate o-ring (#8, post 26) which prevents oil from gravity flowing through the pump into the cam chest. If the gerotors are damage to the extent that the wavy washer cannot keep enough pressure on the cam plate, oil will flow through pretty fast; how fast depends on the damage.

I agree with others that have suggested this as a DIY project; it's not that difficult with a few tools and the HD service manual. Parts would include the Twin Power tensioners, inner (Torrington/Toyo B-148) and outer cam bearings j(OEM are fine), all associated o-rings, cam cover gasket, exhaust port gaskets and new oil pump. Daytona sells a good pump for much less than the OEM replacement. Search on the "oven/freezer" method to R/R the outer cam bearings or farm out the installation of the cams into the plate to a local shop. A blind hole puller from Autozone or Advanced Auto can be rented to pull the inner cam bearings, just be sure the right size collet is included in the kit. Use one of the cams to tap in the new inner cam bearings. I know that sounds very "caveman" but I have done it several times before buying the R/R tool. Freeze the bearings over night, lubricate the bearings and the bearing bosses and tap the bearings flush with the case, numbers facing out. Two torque wrenches, ft.lb and in.lb; the rest of the tools are garden variety. Follow the manual instructions for aligning the oil pump, very important. I don't recall if OEM push rods or adjustables are in play but deal with them according to which have been used. There are good videos on how to adjust on line; just need to know the pushrod TPI. Be careful torquing the cam cover fasteners at 10 and 2 o'clock, where the dowels are. They are prone to stripping so I torque them to the low end of the torqe spec in the service manual; 90 in.lb IIRC. The motor will rattle on start up but will quiet down quickly as lifters pump up and oil is circulating through the system. New lifters might be a good idea if more than 35K miles on OEM lifters. Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFO Larry, AKA Larry's Motorcycle and Machine are the best option. There is no need for a tune after the work is complete.

I am sure I missed something but just wanted to give the OP an idea of what taking on this DIY project entails in an effort to encourage him to take it on.

Old 04-12-2024 | 03:10 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
Don't spend $2100. When the tensioner went, I suspect that the oil pump ate some of the pad material and the oil pump gerotors have been damaged, probably broken. The two separtor plates (#5, post #26) and the wavy washer (#6, post #26) between the gerotors are there to keep pressure on the pump against the cam plate o-ring (#8, post 26) which prevents oil from gravity flowing through the pump into the cam chest. If the gerotors are damage to the extent that the wavy washer cannot keep enough pressure on the cam plate, oil will flow through pretty fast; how fast depends on the damage.

I agree with others that have suggested this as a DIY project; it's not that difficult with a few tools and the HD service manual. Parts would include the Twin Power tensioners, inner (Torrington/Toyo B-148) and outer cam bearings j(OEM are fine), all associated o-rings, cam cover gasket, exhaust port gaskets and new oil pump. Daytona sells a good pump for much less than the OEM replacement. Search on the "oven/freezer" method to R/R the outer cam bearings or farm out the installation of the cams into the plate to a local shop. A blind hole puller from Autozone or Advanced Auto can be rented to pull the inner cam bearings, just be sure the right size collet is included in the kit. Use one of the cams to tap in the new inner cam bearings. I know that sounds very "caveman" but I have done it several times before buying the R/R tool. Freeze the bearings over night, lubricate the bearings and the bearing bosses and tap the bearings flush with the case, numbers facing out. Two torque wrenches, ft.lb and in.lb; the rest of the tools are garden variety. Follow the manual instructions for aligning the oil pump, very important. I don't recall if OEM push rods or adjustables are in play but deal with them according to which have been used. There are good videos on how to adjust on line; just need to know the pushrod TPI. Be careful torquing the cam cover fasteners at 10 and 2 o'clock, where the dowels are. They are prone to stripping so I torque them to the low end of the torqe spec in the service manual; 90 in.lb IIRC. The motor will rattle on start up but will quiet down quickly as lifters pump up and oil is circulating through the system. New lifters might be a good idea if more than 35K miles on OEM lifters. Johnson Hy-Lifts from WFO Larry, AKA Larry's Motorcycle and Machine are the best option. There is no need for a tune after the work is complete.

I am sure I missed something but just wanted to give the OP an idea of what taking on this DIY project entails in an effort to encourage him to take it on.
Wow this is what I was looking to hear. No dis respect to anyone who gave me advice on this matter. I took everything into consideration. And I truly thank all of you. Now I do know the hot cold method to shrink metal. I wasn't aware that pieces of the tensioner pads could get to the pump. I can get cysco pads for $20+ and seal kit I believe was around $40+ the adjustable pushrod kit including tubes seals and rods for $50. Honestly I've been a bit leary to start removing the cam chest because Im nowhere close to $2100. And for tools I've never had any specialty tools for any job I've ever done. I've made tools and that's at a intermediate DIY level. I will start ordering the parts and kits online. My local shops are much higher. Don't get me wrong I still support bubba's motorcycle shop. Because that's the way. For now tho my bike can't sit any longer then necessary. Thank you

The following 2 users liked this post by Shaggy520:
hattitude (04-12-2024), tar_snake (04-13-2024)
Old 04-12-2024 | 04:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Community Team

I suggested the Twin Power tensioners because they are a direct replacement. The Cyco pads have to be installed on the OEM carriers if they have not been damaged by contact with the chain. That will require the purchase of the hardware required to attach the pads to the OEM carrier which will cost about $30 plust the tensionenrs. For a bit more the Twin Power tensioners are complete and a direct install. There have been issues with the attachment of the Cyco pads to the OEM carrier; if not done properly, the pad will come off. A YouTube video is attached; your call on which way to go on the tensioners. If you have questions, bring them back here; lots of help. Post some pics of the oil pump internals and the inside face of the cam plate. Good luck.

Last edited by djl; 04-12-2024 at 06:01 PM.
hattitude (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024 | 06:27 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl
I suggested the Twin Power tensioners because they are a direct replacement. The Cyco pads have to be installed on the OEM carriers if they have not been damaged by contact with the chain. That will require the purchase of the hardware required to attach the pads to the OEM carrier which will cost about $30 plust the tensionenrs. For a bit more the Twin Power tensioners are complete and a direct install.

I have the Cyco pad tool, did a couple sets, but the last time I changed tensioners, for a friend, I just bought Twin Power tensioners... They are like $30 each tensioner, just too easy...

As of a few years ago, Twin Power sold Cyco tensioner pads for spring tensioner replacement pads. They rebranded the Cyco pads as "Twin Power Tensioner Shoe". They also used them in their Twin Power spring tensioners.

I haven't checked for several years, so if Twin Power has changed their vendor for pads/shoes, I am unaware of the change..

Old 04-12-2024 | 07:53 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Twin Power Cyco Cam Chain Tensioner - 25-047 outer

Twin Power Cyco Cam Chain Tensioner - 25-048 inner

Usually about $32 on Amazon. It looks like the inner is readily available but the outers are
not. It's usually the other way around.

Twin Power Solenoid Inner Boot Power Solenoid Inner Boot https://a.co/d/i0coANe

Last edited by golfblues; 04-12-2024 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Fatboy puking oil.