Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Fatboy puking oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024 | 06:48 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djl
First things first. What was the last thing done to the bike? Any recent work?

As often happens with softatils, I am thinking, could be wrong, that at some point, oil was added based on a low level reading after oil in the tank drained down into the sump and the oil added to the tank over filled the system.

Try this. Do not add any oil after the dump. Start and run with the dipstick out and watch to see the oil returning from the sump into the tank. Let her run for a while or take a short ride. Then shut down and check oil level, on the jiffy stand. Add just enough oil to reach the full mark. I am guessing it won't be 2.5 quarts.

If the system was over filled, this will cure the issue. If not have to look elsewhere, like the breather system itself but eliminating the most common reason for this condition should be addressed first.
While the bike is running I can see the the oil splitting back into the tank kinda slow. It's coming out the breather tubes faster and when it's shut off the tank empties faster then I can check the level. Like right now the tank is empty. Are they supposed to be empty

Old 04-02-2024 | 06:51 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shaggy520
While the bike is running I can see the the oil splitting back into the tank kinda slow. It's coming out the breather tubes faster and when it's shut off the tank empties faster then I can check the level. Like right now the tank is empty. Are they supposed to be empty
Plus when I was doing this check my oil light would come on

Old 04-02-2024 | 07:11 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you say you added a catch can / external filter for the breathers? Was it recently? Did you use a "kit" or put something together yourself? My son has an 04 road king and bought a heavy breather used and after he put it on the dipstick would pop right out and his rocker gaskets started leaking. He was ready to tear into the motor but I had him check the bolts that came with it...solid...no hole for the breather to breath through. Sounds like you might have something similar going on if you did in fact put on a new breather setup

Old 04-02-2024 | 07:30 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior

Plus when I was doing this check my oil light would come on
I would open up the cam chest and see what is going on I'm there and with the oil pump.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024 | 08:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have a Harley filter with the top diaphragm gasket in good shape, that tends to slow it.

But no, that's not normal. Sounds like the oil pump is broken.

And with the light coming on, don't drive it. Your going to destroy the motor.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-02-2024 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hattitude (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024 | 08:41 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
Did you say you added a catch can / external filter for the breathers? Was it recently? Did you use a "kit" or put something together yourself? My son has an 04 road king and bought a heavy breather used and after he put it on the dipstick would pop right out and his rocker gaskets started leaking. He was ready to tear into the motor but I had him check the bolts that came with it...solid...no hole for the breather to breath through. Sounds like you might have something similar going on if you did in fact put on a new breather setup
No sir all I did was reroute the hose's to the bottom of the bike. No catch can either my dipstick stays in

Old 04-02-2024 | 08:45 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
If you have a Harley filter with the top diaphragm gasket in good shape, that tends to slow it.

But no, that's not normal. Sounds like the oil pump is broken.

And with the light coming on, don't drive it. Your going to destroy the motor.
No sir I'm staying off it and it sucks." so you think it's it's the oil pump. So is the tank supposed to sit empty with all the oil in the bottom end

Old 04-02-2024 | 08:53 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to say but...... If your oil tank is draining that fast, you have a problem with your oil pump, something is seriously wrong... You need to open up the cam chest and inspect the oil pump & the oil pump gerotors...

I wouldn't start or ride the bike until I found the problem...

Good luck with the disassembly and inspection... keep us posted

The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
s-glide76 (04-13-2024), tar_snake (04-04-2024), WONKEY (04-03-2024)
Old 04-02-2024 | 09:04 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

No sir I'm staying off it and it sucks." so you think it's it's the oil pump. So is the tank supposed to sit empty with all the oil in the bottom end
Originally Posted by RANGER73
Start the bike, run it 2 minutes.
If it's a sumping issue it'll go back into the oil tank.
Check the level straight up or leaning on the jiffy stand. Check the manual.
Run it a little low, between low and the full mark.
I'm thinking too much oil.

Old 04-02-2024 | 09:10 PM
Shaggy520
|
Intermediate

This is how my tank looks

Attached Files
File Type: mp4
VID_20240402_190907.mp4 (15.66 MB, 18 views)

Quick Reply: 2000 Fatboy puking oil.