Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘23 Fat Boy-Turn Sig/Tag Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024 | 08:09 AM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default ‘23 Fat Boy-Turn Sig/Tag Relocation Kit

Seeking experience and advice on using aftermarket vs OEM kits and in particular the re-wiring process.
I’m planning to buy/install aftermarket bags.
Thank You
PS-was at Bike Week and saw the Harley brand bags on a 24 Fat Boy at the show. The workmanship is worse than horrible. I won’t buy them-especially at over $1,000.

Old 03-10-2024 | 09:40 AM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member

I bought a bracket off EBay that will replace the reflector
Will be making the swap in the next few weeks
There were a number of threads I found on here that had info
And the REAR TURN SIGNAL NARROW MOUNTING KIT from Harley (product no longer found)

Also the plate frame from CD & brake/turn signal
Horizontal Motorcycle Plate Frames with LED Illumination (customdynamics.com)

Integrated Fat Boy LED Taillight with Turn Signals for 2018-2024 FLFB/FLFBS (customdynamics.com)

Old 03-11-2024 | 06:30 AM
ExFedOne
|
Novice

Thanks, Davey. I’ll check out the links.
Bob

Old 03-13-2024 | 08:05 PM
Kenelz
Tourer

I used the OEM relocation kit on my '21 FB. It had decent instructions, it went easy, no problems. I put Viking bags on.

The following users liked this post:
1Xmueller (06-08-2024)
Old 03-14-2024 | 03:24 PM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default Thank You

I have ordered the OEM relo kit, but it’s back ordered. Meantime, I have a couple of follow up questions since we have the same bike:
I read the Harley on-line installation instructions. It said to pull the main fuse. When it came to actually splicing in the new wires, it says to refer to service manual.
1) did you do more than pull the main CB when you spliced the new wires?
I can easily unscrew the neg side of battery, but the + pretty much requires removing the battery.
2) I’m looking for a service manual (Clymer) that covers my 2023. What manual do you have?
Thanks again. I love this bike!
Bob

Old 03-14-2024 | 08:17 PM
Kenelz
Tourer

When I ordered my kit, the chrome was back ordered, I waited for a couple months, cancelled, and ordered the black. I checked back several times, and the chrome was never in stock. Maybe I just checked at the wrong time.....

As for the installation, I don't remember much, it was a couple years ago. I do remember it being easier than I thought it would be, you are just extending the existing wires. I soldered and shrink wrapped the splices. I don't think I pulled the fuse.

Whenever doing anything that you need to remove the fender from the strut, just remove one bolt on each side of the strut to the frame first, and loosen the other two so it hinges/lifts up. Then its easy to get at the fasteners for the fender, otherwise the tire makes it a pain.

I have the factory service manual (FSM), you need one! I bought it from a dealer, but you can check Ebay for a used one, or download the PFD on some sites. I took mine to an office supply and had them cut the backbone, and spiral bind it, I can open it and it lays flat on the bench. It cost around $6 to have that done.

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by Kenelz:
1Xmueller (06-08-2024), Merida (04-26-2024)
Old 03-14-2024 | 08:57 PM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default Thanks

I appreciate the info and tips. I hope my relocation kit (chrome) arrives in a few weeks; it’s apparently a popular mod for installing bags.
thanks again. Be safe.
Bob

Old 03-15-2024 | 06:27 AM
Kenelz
Tourer

Originally Posted by ExFedOne
I appreciate the info and tips. I hope my relocation kit (chrome) arrives in a few weeks; it’s apparently a popular mod for installing bags.
thanks again. Be safe.
Bob
Another mod you might be interested in is to replace the back fender reflecter, to a real tail/brake light. It's simple, you pop of the reflecter, and replace with the light. You can see it in my post above. More light is always better.

https://www.customdynamics.com/led-l...8aAgL8EALw_wcB

The following users liked this post:
1Xmueller (06-08-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 06:52 AM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default Thanks Kenelz

I agree. More light is always better. On my 23 Fat Boy, the center light is actually a functioning running/brake light. I think it was a reflector on earlier models.
Having just returned from Bike Week, I recall seeing countless bikes with yellow headlights. I plan to make that conversion in the future.
Thanks again for the service manual ideas as well. I’ll keep shopping for one.
Winter is over in NoVa!!
Bob

Old 04-22-2024 | 06:59 AM
ExFedOne
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Kenelz
When I ordered my kit, the chrome was back ordered, I waited for a couple months, cancelled, and ordered the black. I checked back several times, and the chrome was never in stock. Maybe I just checked at the wrong time.....

As for the installation, I don't remember much, it was a couple years ago. I do remember it being easier than I thought it would be, you are just extending the existing wires. I soldered and shrink wrapped the splices. I don't think I pulled the fuse.

Whenever doing anything that you need to remove the fender from the strut, just remove one bolt on each side of the strut to the frame first, and loosen the other two so it hinges/lifts up. Then its easy to get at the fasteners for the fender, otherwise the tire makes it a pain.

I have the factory service manual (FSM), you need one! I bought it from a dealer, but you can check Ebay for a used one, or download the PFD on some sites. I took mine to an office supply and had them cut the backbone, and spiral bind it, I can open it and it lays flat on the bench. It cost around $6 to have that done.

Good luck!
Thanks again, Kenelz. My chrome OEM relocation kit that was on back order finally arrived! Appreciate the reassurance that the install is straightforward and you had no issues. I’m bleeding money lately so I hope the PDF version of the factory manual is in fact identical to the hard cover version. I wish you lived down the street so I could swap you a borrow for a bottle of bourbon. Also, the hard bags I ordered also finally arrived. They are beautiful/perfect/awesome and IDENTICAL to HD Fat Boy bags in terms of the hard case/opening and closing/installation hardware, etc. However, in contrast to the OEM ones I saw at Daytona Bike Week last month, the leather on these aftermarket ones is attached perfectly and flawlessly. I will post pictures after getting them installed.
Thanks again for the helpful information.

The following 2 users liked this post by ExFedOne:
1Xmueller (06-08-2024), Kenelz (04-22-2024)

Quick Reply: ‘23 Fat Boy-Turn Sig/Tag Relocation Kit