Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

‘23 Fat Boy-Turn Sig/Tag Relocation Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024 | 12:00 PM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default Wiring Help - Relocation Kit

[QUOTE=Kenelz;21605553]I used the OEM relocation kit on my '21 FB. It had decent instructions, it went easy, no problems. I put Viking bags on.
Kenelz, did you simply splice new wire needed for the extra length of the relocated turn signals, or did you use the miles of wire included in the kit? Seems overkill to me, but seeking your advice. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2024 | 12:09 PM
Hog Augie
Advanced

Kenelz
I like the idea of spiral binding! I am going to check into that up here in Bring Cash Canada. I am sure it will be a $50 plus job here

Old 04-22-2024 | 12:40 PM
Kenelz
Tourer

[QUOTE=ExFedOne;21654895]
Originally Posted by Kenelz
I used the OEM relocation kit on my '21 FB. It had decent instructions, it went easy, no problems. I put Viking bags on.
Kenelz, did you simply splice new wire needed for the extra length of the relocated turn signals, or did you use the miles of wire included in the kit? Seems overkill to me, but seeking your advice. Thanks.
I spliced it where conveinent, no need to run the wire all the way, make it easy on yourself. Of course stagger any spices.
Good luck!

Old 04-23-2024 | 11:47 AM
ExFedOne
|
Novice

Correction: In my earlier post to Kenelz, I stated that the center reflector on my 2023 Fat Boy was a functioning running/brake light. It is not. It's just a reflector.
Bob

Old 04-24-2024 | 08:02 PM
Kenelz
Tourer

Originally Posted by ExFedOne
Correction: In my earlier post to Kenelz, I stated that the center reflector on my 2023 Fat Boy was a functioning running/brake light. It is not. It's just a reflector.
Bob
If your thinking of replacing the reflector with the LED, while you have things opened up it would be a good time to do it;

Old 04-28-2024 | 05:13 PM
ExFedOne
|
Novice
Default Saddle Bag Install COMPLETE- Sharing Experience

Hello All. First of all, I want to again thank all the folks who took the time to reply to my posts/questions/concerns and issues. As a pay-back, I'd like to provide experience from this project hoping it will help someone else.
1) while at Bike Week in Daytona this year, I was glad to see a new fat boy with OEM saddle bags. I examined them carefully, removed them from the display bike, re-installed them and looked at all the attachment details. I was shocked at how poorly the leather was wrapped under the bags. I think the leather was poorly stapled with multiple loose ends and frayed edges; horrible quality. The heavy plastic structure of the bags and the attachment mechanisms were excellent. I mentioned and showed the obvious lack of QC to the Harley representative and he offered no defense or argument.
2) I continued my search for quality bags, such as Viking and others. I didn't like many of them because the attachment hardware often placed the bags too far from the bike fender. Others lacked rigidity. I found the bags in my photo on line from a company called C.C. Rider in California. I spoke with humans and examined photos and details and was (am) convinced these were structurally the same bags Harley sells for literally over twice the price.Since the company also sold them on Amazon, that's where I purchased them, knowing I could return them if they were other than as advertised. The bags are absolutely beautiful and exceptionally well made and are structurally and mechanically 100% identical to the Harley bags. The brass bar on mine doesn't include the words "Harley Davidson" or the reflector. I apologize if buying non Harley branded bags offends anyone. I've purchased mostly OEM products, but I have a budget and common sense.

3) You will need a Harley model specific bag installation kit; basically, four bolts on the rear fender are replaced with round hardware that aligns with the bags. I purchased the kit offered by C.C. Rider on Amazon. Very high quality triple chrome. You will also need a model specific turn signal relocation kit, either chrome or black. They're finally back in stock. I recommend buying the Harley OEM kit, not the aftermarket ones.
4) Making the bag purchase and installation kit and relocation kit are the easy part. The time consuming process of dismantling and installing the relocation kit and rewiring and soldering and heat shrinking all the splices takes more time that I first thought, but it all turned out perfectly; I think it would pass approval of a Harley tech.
5) You can't go wrong if you follow the instructions that accompany the Harley turn signal relocation kit, which is what I did. I followed Kenelz suggestion of pivoting the rear fender, versus removing all the attachment bolts at once, when removing the chrome side bars. The installation gets tricky while dismantling each tail light and carefully weaving the dual filament light bulb harness end contacts in the housing and ensuring that the right color wire will contact the correct brake/turn signal part of the bulb; continuity tester helps. I made my splices within the recessed portions (look like ant tracks) of the chrome side bars rather than at the ends of the new harnesses. If I had to do it over again, I would make the splices under the seat and would have saved myself hours of misery.
6) These bags are very sturdy because they each have a steel bracket that runs between the back of each bag to a structural mounting point on the frame. The right side mounting point requires removing the OEM slip on exhaust to access the mounting point. The left side requires the removal of the passenger foot peg mount. The installation manual says to remove the bolt, insert the mounting bracket hardware and reinstall the foot peg mount. This was no easy task as the T45 bolt can only be accessed using a T45 bit holder and 1/4" extension/ratchet. Every other combination imaginable would not budge the bolt. I ended up going through several drill bits drilling out the recessed bolt. This was a total PITA.
That's all I have to offer. I am so happy with my saddle bags and would highly recommend them to others. Sorry for the long posting, but I wanted to get it all out while it was fresh in my memory.
Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
Kenelz (04-29-2024)
Old 06-05-2024 | 06:40 PM
Doublefelix
Tourer

Can you take a couple pics from the back?
One high and one from about the level if the bottom if the bags?

Old 06-06-2024 | 06:12 PM
ExFedOne
|
Novice

Hello Doublefelix,
Here are the pictures you requested. I fyou need anything else, please let me know.
Bob

Old 06-07-2024 | 08:38 AM
Doublefelix
Tourer

They look good

Old 06-10-2024 | 05:38 AM
Road Riders Bike LlC
Stage I

Originally Posted by DaveyFB
I bought a bracket off EBay that will replace the reflector
Will be making the swap in the next few weeks
There were a number of threads I found on here that had info
And the REAR TURN SIGNAL NARROW MOUNTING KIT from Harley (product no longer found)

Also the plate frame from CD & brake/turn signal
Horizontal Motorcycle Plate Frames with LED Illumination (customdynamics.com)

Integrated Fat Boy LED Taillight with Turn Signals for 2018-2024 FLFB/FLFBS (customdynamics.com)
I want to Know how much That Fat Boy 2019 with Shipping In DUbai