Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorter shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024 | 03:39 PM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear
Default Shorter shifter

Hoping to get some suggestions. Just got a Harley 2021 Heritage classic and in the process of modifying it so I ride it. At 5 feet even I have already got the custom short person seat, heel shifter, lowering part coming soon and pullback riser. Only thing that's not good is the toe shifter, I really have to scoot way forward to reach it. I don't see where something like a shorter shifter is available, and the other posts I've seen here are 5 to 7 yrs old. Any suggestions on what could be done? I really want to love this bike and its gotten off to a rocky start 😖.

Old 03-03-2024 | 04:59 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

You may want to get a mid controls kit for your feet.
There's a thread around here somewhere that a guy installed the Harley one on his Heritage, even though Harley says it won't fit.

There are far cheaper kits on Amazon, of somewhat questionable quality compared to the Harley kits, but a whole lot cheaper. They don't claim to fit the Heritage, but based on the thread I mentioned above, I bet they will fit. I'm waiting on some things to see if I might want to experiment with them myself.

For example:
Amazon Amazon

Old 03-03-2024 | 05:13 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jewel1969
Hoping to get some suggestions. Just got a Harley 2021 Heritage classic and in the process of modifying it so I ride it. At 5 feet even I have already got the custom short person seat, heel shifter, lowering part coming soon and pullback riser. Only thing that's not good is the toe shifter, I really have to scoot way forward to reach it. I don't see where something like a shorter shifter is available, and the other posts I've seen here are 5 to 7 yrs old. Any suggestions on what could be done? I really want to love this bike and its gotten off to a rocky start 😖.

https://www.speed-kingscycle.com/pro...39438870937698

Old 03-04-2024 | 09:35 AM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
You may want to get a mid controls kit for your feet.

There are far cheaper kits on Amazon, of somewhat questionable quality compared to the Harley kits, but a whole lot cheaper. They don't claim to fit the Heritage, but based on the thread I mentioned above, I bet they will fit. I'm waiting on some things to see if I might want to experiment with them myself.

For example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CFQKMKJ8...lig_dp_it&th=1
I'll show this one to my husband . . . only concern I would have is the brand new (read: not cheap) heel shifter I have on it. I'm spoiled with a heel shifter, so that's kinda not a negotiable part 😋. I also saw a post here where a shorter rider put a sportster shifter on to reduce the length . . . it said that her husb did have to do a bit of a mod, but didn't sound like anything super difficult. Course that thread was from 2017 🙄 . . .

Last edited by Jewel1969; 03-04-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2024 | 09:51 AM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear

The part looks good, just wish there was a little more info on the website though. Measurements, does it come with peg (which I assume it does not?). On the plus side, the part seems rather straight forward, without needing an entirely new mounting part . . . so I don't have to worry about the heel shifter working with it. I'm spoiled with the heel shifter, have had one for my last 2 bikes/24 years. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, if it weren't for forums I'd be screwed AND confused 🙃.

Old 03-04-2024 | 04:24 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

The part looks good, just wish there was a little more info on the website though. Measurements, does it come with peg (which I assume it does not?). On the plus side, the part seems rather straight forward, without needing an entirely new mounting part . . . so I don't have to worry about the heel shifter working with it. I'm spoiled with the heel shifter, have had one for my last 2 bikes/24 years. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, if it weren't for forums I'd be screwed AND confused 🙃.

The add said it's 1" shorter. I would assume that meant 1" shorter than the stock foot shift lever....

You could make a mark on your current front, foot shift lever that is an inch closer to the mounting splines and see if that will work for you...

I doubt it comes with a peg, but your current peg should fit it....

I'm a fan of heel/toe shifters... I have them on my '03 Heritage and my '16 Bagger. I also converted my '01 FXSTS Springer to a heel/toe configuration, and even found/added a heel/toe lever that fit my '16 mid control Low Rider.

Enjoy the bike...!

Old 03-05-2024 | 08:52 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

I'll show this one to my husband . . . only concern I would have is the brand new (read: not cheap) heel shifter I have on it. I'm spoiled with a heel shifter, so that's kinda not a negotiable part 😋. I also saw a post here where a shorter rider put a sportster shifter on to reduce the length . . . it said that her husb did have to do a bit of a mod, but didn't sound like anything super difficult. Course that thread was from 2017 🙄 . . .
Just a few more threads and info on mid controls on a Heritage.

​​​​​​https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...-controls.html

and

​​​​​​https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-...ispreloading=1
Look at the pictures starting at post 1126

Old 03-05-2024 | 09:21 AM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear

LOL . . . I measured the current shifter this morning to see what length would work for me so I can make a decision on the part. I didn't think of marking the current shifter to see if an inch would make a difference, will do that today 👍🏼. And yes, I saw that the peg screws on the current shifter, so I could probably swap it over. If I had to get a new peg, it wouldn't break the bank (esp after all the $$ that I've put into it. Been an expensive month 🤑. I love forums!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

Old 03-05-2024 | 09:22 AM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear

OOOOH . . . more options! More options are a good thing!! Thank you!!!!!! I 💜 Forums!!!

Old 03-08-2024 | 09:39 AM
Jewel1969
|
6th Gear

I ended up ordering a part from Amazon . . . It doesn't say it fits a 2021 Heritage, but I measured what I have now against the measurements of the new part and they are identical other the than the length. If it works out I will be sure to post the link here so if anyone needs it in the future they can find it. Also, I'll try and remember to do a review of it here. Several of the posts I saw mentioned that they questioned the quality of the lever, so I will put up my thoughts once I get it.

Looking forward to trolling the forum for other tidbits of info on my ride. Thank you again!!!!!

Quick Reply: Shorter shifter