Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Noco NLP20 Lithium battery is really impressive

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024 | 08:12 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
Oh please, read the reviews. I've never had problems with any batteries including Bike Master lithium. The Noco is a piece of crap. And it was on a 19 Street Glide with a lithium deltran battery charger. I was a NOCO believer for the first 6 months but started reading that there were lots of problems. Then mine went dead. And Noco's replacement warranty is garbage. Enough said to take it for what it's worth but be prepared.
I DID read all the reviews I could find anywhere on the Noco, and also all the reviews on the HD lithium battery. The vast majority of reviews are favorable. On the unfavorable ones where the user actually provides real information (beyond "these batteries are crap"), the user error reasons for the failure becomes very evident:

- Did not read the instrucitons, so used a "lead acid" or "AGM" mode battery charger instead of "Lithium" mode charging

- Used a multi-mode battery charger BUT failed to read the instructions for the charger that tell you you must SELECT the mode, and so never actually selected the "Lithium" mode of operation, so the charger operated in "lead acid" or "AGM" mode instead of Lithium mode

- Did not read the provided instructions that describe how the BMS shuts off charging at very cold temperatures to protect the battery. So yeah, the battery will of course not charge in an unheated garage at minus 30F! If you get cold temperatures that tigger the BMS no-charge protection, you are supposed to store and charge the battery INDOORS!

- Bought the wrong model battery for the user's application

- Did not use the spacers to protect the battery from excessive engine vibration (which will destroy ANY type of battery)

etc, etc

Since I always do read the instructions for any product I buy, I figured I would be able to avoid these kinds of issues. And, given my successful usage of Lithium batteries in multiple motorcycles over multiple years, I can attest that reading and following the instructions for both the battery and the charger seems to have worked well.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Jim G

Old 02-26-2024 | 09:02 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Jim....good luck with it. Nuff said.

I will agree that the packaging is very impressive

Old 02-26-2024 | 09:12 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Can’t imagine 11 pounds is the difference between easy and safe maneuvering and risk of unsafe maneuvering. If that is the case, I would not be riding. I don’t believe I could even notice the change. I don’t notice a full tank of fuel which is higher up and heavier. If it gives you more confidence, then by all means but I just see this as a waste of money (best case) and potential failure or worse (worst case).

I wonder how much that government mandated ducks @ss weighs that sticks out the rear of the otherwise clean rear fender? If I was worried about weight, I would lose that first and clean up that clutter.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024 | 10:05 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Can’t imagine 11 pounds is the difference between easy and safe maneuvering and risk of unsafe maneuvering. If that is the case, I would not be riding. I don’t believe I could even notice the change. I don’t notice a full tank of fuel which is higher up and heavier. If it gives you more confidence, then by all means but I just see this as a waste of money (best case) and potential failure or worse (worst case).

I wonder how much that government mandated ducks @ss weighs that sticks out the rear of the otherwise clean rear fender? If I was worried about weight, I would lose that first and clean up that clutter.
You're kidding about the fender length, right? It is already short enough to spray the rider's back in the rain! I'm glad the license plate is there to help reduce the spray a bit! The current bare@ssed rear-end look on bikes is not very pretty either!

I know the trend is to show off wide rear tires, but to me that's a bit like a guy wearing a mankini!

Jim G

Old 02-26-2024 | 10:17 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
You're kidding about the fender length, right? It is already short enough to spray the rider's back in the rain! I'm glad the license plate is there to help reduce the spray a bit! The current bare@ssed rear-end look on bikes is not very pretty either!

I know the trend is to show off wide rear tires, but to me that's a bit like a guy wearing a mankini!

Jim G
Not kidding, I bought the same bike in part because of the big rear tire. It’s not like it is hidden behind that clutter mandated by overzealous government knows best bureaucrats. It just clutters up an otherwise clean rear end. You’ll never see an afterthought like that on anything custom. Tail tidys are very common across the motorcycle industry to correct these kind of things. And you might save some weight…although it’s probably all plastic which detracts from
the fit and finish of that premium metal fender.

Anyway, your bike and your choice…YMMV…

Last edited by stratplexi; 02-26-2024 at 10:19 AM.
tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024 | 11:08 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

One of the downsides of lithium batteries is they have much lower Ah ratings than comparable AGM batteries. The NOCO has only 8Ah capacity. So, you better make sure your bike never needs to crank a bit longer, or you leave your ignition on going in for a beer.

As example, The late model Harleys have a 1,500 watt starter motor. So, at 12 volts it draws 125 Amps, so 8/125….means it can provide 125 amps for .06 hour= 3.6 minutes…yeah that should be enough if you dint have and with starting.,

Old 02-26-2024 | 11:55 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
One of the downsides of lithium batteries is they have much lower Ah ratings than comparable AGM batteries. The NOCO has only 8Ah capacity. So, you better make sure your bike never needs to crank a bit longer, or you leave your ignition on going in for a beer.

As example, The late model Harleys have a 1,500 watt starter motor. So, at 12 volts it draws 125 Amps, so 8/125….means it can provide 125 amps for .06 hour= 3.6 minutes…yeah that should be enough if you dint have and with starting.,
Actually, the current flow from the Lithium battery would be much higher - that's why the engine starts so quickly. But, you are right when you say there is more than enough amp hour capacity with either a lead acid, AGM, or Lithium battery unless it is REALY too cold, or the engine needs a tune-up! I personally don't like lengthy cranking to start an engine. Under a second sounds great, and impresses the other riders in a group!

Jim G

Old 02-26-2024 | 01:20 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Sure, I too like a quick fire up. But sometimes things aren't great, and a longer crank simply happens. Finding out your battery only has enough juice for a few seconds then really sucks.

This is actually a complaint with almost all cars and bikes now. They start so fast you never get a chance to judge the battery. Only when the engine suddenly no longer cranks over do you know the battery has gone caput.

Back in the day of carburetors and chokes, starting took longer and you'd start getting that indication during a longer crank over. RRRRRRrrrr.r.r.r..r..r.. And you knew it was time to start thinking about a new battery. And, you had weeks if not months to do it.

Old 02-26-2024 | 01:24 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
The weight reduction IS real. I weighed it on a precision scale and it does weigh 3.7 lb.

You are welcome of course to ride in gfreezing weather - it's your right - BUT NO motorcycle tire is desgined to actually have acceptable traction in winter weather simply because there is no market for winter weather motorcycle tires. You ARE taking your life in your hands. If a cager or an animal runs in front of you, and you try to either brake or swerve, you will likely crash because of that missing traction.
What a load of crap. The streets are dry, they're just as good to stop on as they are in the winter...I know, since I've had to do so many times throughout the years I've ridden. Like I said, 22 years now I only ride a bike (job injury made me disabled, and strangely the bike hurts *far less* to ride than trying to get in or out of a car or drive a p/u!), and if I don't want to become a hermit, I get out all times of the year, but I won't ride when I know there's snow or ice on the road, though I've ridden on snow and sleet before...that left almost a permanent 'pinch' on the seat, lol.

The whole 'safety' thing in winter has you scared. Not sure where you get your info, but real life means it can be done, so quit worrying so much and get out.

Old 02-26-2024 | 03:25 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

As example, The late model Harleys have a 1,500 watt starter motor. So, at 12 volts it draws 125 Amps, so 8/125….means it can provide 125 amps for .06 hour= 3.6 minutes.,
three and half minutes ?
Dayum!! that's a LONG time of continuous cranking.
My bike's a "one second" starter hot or cold. If it took more than 3.5 seconds to start, I'd wonder what's wrong

This thread caught my interest because me battery is 5 years old, and I'll be buying a new one this season "just because"
Since I got 5 trouble free years from a Harley OEM,(and never on a tender) reckon I'll just go with another Harley OEM

..L.T.A.

tar_snake (02-28-2024)

Quick Reply: The Noco NLP20 Lithium battery is really impressive