Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Noco NLP20 Lithium battery is really impressive

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024 | 06:28 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Now that you've shed 11 pounds by going to lithium, it just about offsets the 12 pound engine guard you ordered.
Yes. And the NET result is about the same original weight as before the engine guard was added, but a lower center of gravity because the engine guard's center of mass is lower than that of the battery.

The Noco is also significantly less tall than the OEM battery, until you add the 2 plastic spacers to its bottom to get back to OEM height. That means it goes in or out of the battery comaprtment withOUT having to remove the OEM engine oil funnel each time.

Jim G

Old 02-25-2024 | 06:36 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cap77
interesting
I'm curious if you notice a difference when your gas tank is full or half full?
That would be 15 ponds or so

..L.T.A.
You bet I do. The fuel tank is placed VERY high on the motorcycle - exceeded only by the handlebars. So, yes, and by the way, premium 94 octane fuel weighs more per gallon than 89 or 91 octane fuel; about 6.4 lb per US gallon. So 5 gallons of it actually weighs about 32 lb. Plus, it SLOSHES when the bike is leaned or tipped, accentuating the lean or tip effects, That's why race motorcycles and cars have baffles inside their fuel tanks, to mitigate the sloshing effects.

Jim G

The following users liked this post:
Cap77 (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024 | 06:47 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

By the way, I'm not that concerned about the HANDLING improvement here due to the lower center of gravity, as a Harley breakout does not "handle" anywhere near as well as a lighter sportbike. What I AM concerned about is if I am doing a u-turn, or turning a tight turn when there might be sand or gravel on the pavement (we sue sand and gravel A LOT on Canadian roads in cold weather), and the bike starts to try to tip over, a lower center of gravity, even when the actual weight loss is small, gives the bike less leverage to overcome my efforts to keep it upright.

And, should the bike actually tip over, a lower center of gravity makes it FAR easier to get it upright again. Remember, I am 73 years of age and nOT a body builder.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 02-25-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2024 | 06:55 PM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain

Eh. I'll stick with my heavy *** AGM. That way my bikes and house won't burn down

The following 3 users liked this post by FLSTC-Dave:
Goose_NC (02-26-2024), s-glide76 (02-26-2024), tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-25-2024 | 08:14 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Had the Moco 30....was great until it wasn't...It lasted 6 months. Noco said 6 weeks to replace it. I got a 100% refund from Amazon. POS, many complaints. Beware!

Check most recent reviews on the nlp30 on Amazon....

and I'm not against lithium as I have a bike master in my 06 Softail going on it's 6th year

Last edited by golfblues; 02-25-2024 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2024 | 09:04 PM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by golfblues
Had the Moco 30....was great until it wasn't...It lasted 6 months. Noco said 6 weeks to replace it. I got a 100% refund from Amazon. POS, many complaints. Beware!

Check most recent reviews on the nlp30 on Amazon....

and I'm not against lithium as I have a bike master in my 06 Softail going on it's 6th year
Golfblues: Let's try to diagnose WHY.Tell us:
- What AH rating did that battery have?
- What motorcycle model & year was it used on?
- How often was the motorcycle ridden?
- what battery charger did you use?
- how often did you charge it?
- What were the symptoms when it failed?
- Progressively got weaker or fine "until it wasn't"?
- At the time of failure, what was the ambient temperature?

Jim G

Old 02-26-2024 | 03:34 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
, and by the way, premium 94 octane fuel weighs more per gallon than 89 or 91 octane fuel Jim G
Break them out guys !

Last edited by eighteight; 02-26-2024 at 03:35 AM.
tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024 | 05:55 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Yes. And the NET result is about the same original weight as before the engine guard was added, but a lower center of gravity because the engine guard's center of mass is lower than that of the battery.

The Noco is also significantly less tall than the OEM battery, until you add the 2 plastic spacers to its bottom to get back to OEM height. That means it goes in or out of the battery comaprtment withOUT having to remove the OEM engine oil funnel each time.

Jim G
Oil funnel under the seat? When did Harley start doing that?

The following 2 users liked this post by Goose_NC:
NorthWestern (02-26-2024), tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024 | 07:51 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Golfblues: Let's try to diagnose WHY.Tell us:
- What AH rating did that battery have?
- What motorcycle model & year was it used on?
- How often was the motorcycle ridden?
- what battery charger did you use?
- how often did you charge it?
- What were the symptoms when it failed?
- Progressively got weaker or fine "until it wasn't"?
- At the time of failure, what was the ambient temperature?

Jim G
Oh please, read the reviews. I've never had problems with any batteries including Bike Master lithium. The Noco is a piece of crap. And it was on a 19 Street Glide with a lithium deltran battery tender. I was a NOCO believer for the first 6 months but started reading that there were lots of problems. Then mine went completely dead and would not reset. And Noco's replacement warranty is garbage.6 weeks to replace! Enough said to take it for what it's worth but be prepared.

Last edited by golfblues; 02-26-2024 at 09:00 AM.
tar_snake (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024 | 07:54 AM
JimGnitecki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Oil funnel under the seat? When did Harley start doing that?
The oil funnel / dipstick is not under the seat, but rather it is just below the seat on the right hand side on the Breakout. But in order to insert or remove the battery to/from under the seat, the HD user manual says you might have to remove the funnel, so apaprently the clearances are tight enough to make removing the funnel necessary sometimes. But with the 27mm (1-1/16") lower height of the Noco NLP20 battery, the removal of the funnel/dipstick should be unnecessary.

The Noco "kit" includes several plastic and foam spacers to increase the size of the Noco battery to match the size of the OEM battery, where necessary or desirable. On the 2023+ HD Breakout 117, it IS desirable since HD provides a "cage" that holds the OEM size battery. Keeeping the cage is probably desirable in order to limit the oppotunity for the battery to vibrate because of engine vibration.

BUT, the Noco NLP20 requires the use of 2 plastic spacers to do that (a 15mm high spacer and a 12mm high spacer) to add that 27mm of height. Those spacers can simply be inserted first, and then the battery. That provides an extra 27mm of clearance for the battery to clear the dipstick.

Jim G

Quick Reply: The Noco NLP20 Lithium battery is really impressive