Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter projects for the Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023 | 10:12 AM
RockerE
|
Cruiser
Default Winter projects for the Rocker

I've got some big plans for the Rocker this winter and I'm almost done collecting all the parts and tools I need. Here is the bike now
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo690.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo920.jpg
I am planning on pulling the primary to do the 30/70 final drive pulleys and while it's off I am putting on a BDL open belt drive which was delivered yesterday. I just have to drop off a few key parts to my powder coater sometime this week so I have it all back and ready before the salt hits the roads here in NY.
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo155.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo495.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo310.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo683.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo245.jpg
While I'm at it I am also going to replace my front and rear turn signals/break lights with these new smaller ones I found.
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo215.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Winter projects for the Rocker-photo427.jpg   Winter projects for the Rocker-photo875.jpg   Winter projects for the Rocker-photo31.jpg  

Last edited by RockerE; 10-28-2023 at 10:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fiachra (10-28-2023)
Old 11-04-2023 | 07:46 AM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

Winter projects for the Rocker-photo440.jpg
Put everything together to mock up what it is going to look like. Just dropped parts off to powder and should have them back next week. Essentially having the black parts done in blue to match the bike.

Rocking_it (11-04-2023)
Old 11-12-2023 | 11:57 AM
Valdemar
Tourer

[QUOTE=RockerE;21442066] Attachment 626651
Junte todo para simular cómo se verá. Acabo de dejar las piezas en polvo y debería recibirlas la próxima semana. Básicamente, hacer las piezas negras en azul para que combinen con la bicicleta.[/QUOTE
]

I would use black color, your engine is chrome and black, and the open primary must be chrome and black to follow the line of the engine.... the bike, with chasis and fram elements, have a lot of blue.

Old 11-12-2023 | 04:29 PM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

[quote=Valdemar]
Originally Posted by RockerE
Attachment 626651
Junte todo para simular cómo se verá. Acabo de dejar las piezas en polvo y debería recibirlas la próxima semana. Básicamente, hacer las piezas negras en azul para que combinen con la bicicleta.[/QUOTE
]

I would use black color, your engine is chrome and black, and the open primary must be chrome and black to follow the line of the engine.... the bike, with chasis and fram elements, have a lot of blue.
Thanks for your opinion and I do think it would look good with the black that it came with but with the other powder coated parts I have done on the other side of the engine I think this will help balance it. I already have the lower rocker box covers, pushrod tube clips, and tappet covers done and so on this side of the bike you can see the lower rocker box covers and this will bring in a little more of that blue. I already dropped them off to powder and should be picking them up tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2023 | 09:19 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member

Wow... post # 2 mockup has that "wow factor".
Good luck with your project.

Old 11-13-2023 | 01:19 PM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

I just got the parts back from powder so I figured I would share some photos.
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo68.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo692.jpg
The lighting is bad so there are some glares on the chrome but here is the mock-up of what it will look like all together.
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo93.jpg

It's supposed to be pretty warm again here this week so I'm still riding for now. As soon as they put the salt on the roads here in NY I will start pulling it apart.

Old 11-13-2023 | 04:42 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Both great mods! You'll feel a noticeable difference in low end torque with the 30/70 swap...and if you still want a more, I later added a set of S&S 583 cams, and the combo really transformed the bike!

I like that BDL, it looks nice with the blue powder, is that a new model, their website only shows it available for baggers? When I got mine they only had one model available with the adapters to fit the Rocker/ Breakout. It came with a domed rear pulley cover that I replaced with a custom one.

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-13-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2023 | 05:33 PM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Both great mods! You'll feel a noticeable difference in low end torque with the 30/70 swap...and if you still want a more, I later added a set of S&S 583 cams, and the combo really transformed the bike!

I like that BDL, it looks nice with the blue powder, is that a new model, their website only shows it available for baggers? When I got mine they only had one model available with the adapters to fit the Rocker/ Breakout. It came with a domed rear pulley cover that I replaced with a custom one.

Yes it's a new model that is coming out soon for all softails. I asked Scott about it because I saw a picture on their site in the slides at the top but it wasn't listed anywhere. He said it's new and not available on their site yet but he could get it for me and have them put in the appropriate motor plate spacer and offset pulley to fit the rocker.
Once I got it I brought it to my powder coating guy and had him do a few parts to match the bike and the other powdered engine parts I have done. I also picked up a chrome grade 8 bolt to replace the one that mounts the front pulley. I am still looking for a 9/16 grade 8 thick washer in chrome but haven't had any luck. If I can't find one I will just bring the one that came with it to get chromed. I was trying to avoid that though because the chrome guy I know it over an hour away, though I do have some other parts I would like to do at the same time if I do end up going that route.

Old 11-30-2023 | 05:59 PM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

The salt is on the road here so it has begun. Winter projects for the Rocker-photo299.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo33.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo80.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo863.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo598.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo285.jpg

Rocking_it (11-30-2023)
Old 12-02-2023 | 03:17 PM
RockerE
|
Cruiser

Ended up having to drill and split the transmission sprocket nut to get it off. So I'm glad I had an extra on hand since I had read here that a lot of people end up having to do that.
Winter projects for the Rocker-photo287.jpg
I got the belt drive all done now and just need to pull the rear wheel and change the rear pulley out and then do the lighting but I am going to need to make some new mounting brackets for the rear lights and then chrome them before putting them on. Winter projects for the Rocker-photo968.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo575.jpgWinter projects for the Rocker-photo518.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by RockerE:
Rocking_it (12-03-2023), Valdemar (12-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Winter projects for the Rocker