Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 FLSTF knock sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
K ripper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 FLSTF knock sound

Just bought new Fatboy. When I first start it I hear a knock coming from the primary case side. Of course I was told by the dealer that it was normal. Love the bike but the sound is buggin. Was told that it was a compensator sproket and the initial knock on start up was normal. Not buying it. Anyone know whats up???

Old 08-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser
Default RE: 07 FLSTF knock sound

I don't think I have that problem YET but 5th gear really gets on my nerves. Also when I'm in 5th or 6th gear sometimes I hear a noise that sounds like a small pebble hitting under the fender but I know it comes from the motor. Doesen't do it all the time but alot mostly win I crank the throttle. I hope you find the problem and get it fixed. For me sometimes I think I made a mistake on buying a HD. My first one at that. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello-
What about going back to the stealer- have them start another Fatboy same year as yours ( hope they have one...perhaps a 07 that is still there or if an 08 o.k.) and see how that sounds, when yours is started next to it? If it does not make the noises yours does on start up, have them inspect could be a warranty issue and stay on them to make it right.

I have an 07 Fatboy- no issues or odd sounds thus far.
No start up noises, or trans noises in lower gears, and 5th is not a problem, 6th works fine at 70mph +

Old 08-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

Took mine to dealer for the 5th gear clatter. Was told it was normalI don't have the start up issue either but 55mph in 5th is terrible. They said it was the different cut gears. As in the transmission forum of this site many people have problems with the clatter. The IDS fixes it but they don't make one for the FatBoy. I'm thinking my tick maybe the spark plugs. Maybe I'll find some better than what I have. Ride safe.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a knocking noise coming fromthe bottom end. It has been there from day one, although it was very faint earley on. It got much worse as I approched 1500 miles,so I took it in for a look see. Turns out that the "auto" primary chain tensioner was not working and allowed the chain to become very loose. This amplified the original faint knock to the point that the mechanic that rode it thought that the compensator was loose. Although present at all engine speeds and gears, this knock was most pronouncedin 2nd or 3rd gear at constant rpm. Now I'm back to the original faint knock, itdoesn't really bother me, but I'm wondering if the tensioner will stop working again, as they didn't replace anything.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:30 AM
2003chromefatboy
Advanced

Have an 03 fatboy with 41500 miles. At roughly 15000 miles I had a terrible knock in the motor. It would come and go. Took it to my dealer, and as soon as he heard it, he nailed it. The Primary retainer nut (I think thats what its called) had started to back off. Its right behind the primary cover. You could see it had started to chew the back of the cover (only slightly). The dealer said it should have been lock tight at the factory. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Easy Crossing
Advanced

New 08 Heritage knocking noise coming from primary also. Knocks in every gear, and if you rev the engine the knock just gets worse.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 AM
K ripper
1st Gear

Yeah, I went back to the stealer and I did listen to other bikes. Mostly 07's some 08's and didn't really hear that same sound coming from any of those bikes. Service manager insists that it is normal for a compensator sproket to make that noise on inital start up. No noise coming from the bike while cruising.. HMMMMM. Hope the damn thing falls apart before my two years are up. What the he ll.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Easy Crossing
Advanced

With my bike you have to let it warm up before you can hear the rattle noise, and it gets louderthe more I ride it.My dealer did the same thing let me hear another 08 but he didn't let it warm up, and I didn't hear any rattle noise. I haven't heard a bike yet that makes the noise mine makes but I've heard from some on this forum that they have a noise coming from the compensator also. Sounds like some have the noise and some don't. Read this thread for more information on this noise. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2180653/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is the compensator sprocket, then it will knock when cold then go away when it is warmed up. The cold knock isn't normal. I had to take my '05 in and have the sprocket retorqued. No knock after that.

Quick Reply: 07 FLSTF knock sound