Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Way You Cut It It'll Cost You $10,000

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:53 AM
IVDesertRat
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Way You Cut It It'll Cost You $10,000

to trade in your old bike to buy a new one? Is that about right? If not more if you consider the LOSS on the bike you're trading in which most people don't factor in.

Went to a stealer last week to look at the new bikes and the guy was real anxious to offer me $10,000 for my 2003 Anniversary Deuce...........yeh, right. In any event my thought process is along these lines is......and yes I won't get to buy a brand new bike which has obviosu appeal but I'm strictly talking dollars and SENSE here.

For the $10,000 it's going to cost me to upgrade to a new bike, why not just take that $10,000 and add a little (in some cases very little) and just buy a nice used bike? This way for that $10,000 you have 2 bikes instead of one brand new one? New 6 speed, bigger, faster engine OK but in the end they are just going to be driving down the road right next to me.

I was looking at relatively new 2002-2005 Road Kings advertised in CycleTrader for $11,000-$13,000 all day long. It's just the reality of the trade in and the beating you take from my recent visit that has me fired up. Sorry to vent but I'm looking forward to owning two Harley's now.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Any Way You Cut It It'll Cost You $10,000

A bike, like a car or any other toy is not an investment and they do depreciate.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:31 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand your frustration. When I looked-up my trade's value (before going to dealer) I was shocked to see how much I was going to loose compared to what I had put into the bike over the year and a half of ownership.

My dealer gave me the trade-in value I found online after we went back and forth on his initial assessment. I had my printouts from web searches and the bike's service records with me.

I didn't have the patience or the inclination to try to sellmy old bikeprivately. I knew what I was getting myself into. Once we agreed to a trade-in allowance, I simply accepted my fate and didn't dwell on my losses.

You bring up a valid point about puchasing a second bike outright. You can thentake the necessary time to get a better price for current ride. You can never do worse than what the dealer will offer you.

Good luck with you next investment. Evenas such,a poor one.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 PM
IVDesertRat
Banned

Cars, Boats, Bikes all depreciate but 40-50% in 12 months? Sheesh.........even the AMC Pacer didn't depreciate THAT much. This means there's even BETTER deals in the used market so that's where I'm going. New Deluxe...........here I come.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Softy
Road Master

I would be lucky to get 11k out of my bike. But I intend to keep her forever anyway.The Beyotch...

Old 08-26-2007, 12:14 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

As with most commodities, the largest margin of depriciation occurs as soon as you drive it off the lot. The best money is private party... sales and purchase, but of course there are certain risks and hassles to be considered.

Roger

Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Moondognyc
Tourer

Commodity?? Toy?? Investment?? Trading a new bike in for a... ... new bike ?????

WTF ??!!!!! What happened to buying a bike to just ride?
The state of motorcycling is at it's cheesiest, and this type of thought process fuel HD's corporate fire. It helps to createa company that no longer cares about its own heritage unless it has a dollar attached to it. A company that makes 10 year old parts obsolete. A company that has taken away the ability to do performance mods on your machine without the aid of a friggin' computer. A company that already has folks begging for a water-cooled touring bike. Probably because these folks don't even change their own oil, so who cares if it's more Honda like..
What a bunch of crap. Keep your bike and ride it.
If you have to sell it, and youfeel like you're getting ripped off from a dealer, you are!! You always get more when selling private ......
Feel free to flame ...I'm sure that anyone justifying this behavior has plenty of co-signers here.........

Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 AM
dl03
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moondognyc

Commodity?? Toy?? Investment?? Trading a new bike in for a... ... new bike ?????

WTF ??!!!!! What happened to buying a bike to just ride?
The state of motorcycling is at it's cheesiest, and this type of thought process fuel HD's corporate fire. It helps to createa company that no longer cares about its own heritage unless it has a dollar attached to it. A company that makes 10 year old parts obsolete. A company that has taken away the ability to do performance mods on your machine without the aid of a friggin' computer. A company that already has folks begging for a water-cooled touring bike. Probably because these folks don't even change their own oil, so who cares if it's more Honda like..
What a bunch of crap. Keep your bike and ride it.
If you have to sell it, and youfeel like you're getting ripped off from a dealer, you are!! You always get more when selling private ......
Feel free to flame ...I'm sure that anyone justifying this behavior has plenty of co-signers here.........
thats why i bought used.
i was looking to get an 07 fatboy b/c of the 200 rear tire. i hate the fact that they are all fuel injected and have 02 sencors on them but i was willing to over look it. then i found what use see below. the last owner dumbed about 4k into her. she only had 7500 on an 2002. i couldn't pass it up. i paid 16k for a bike that if i bought new would have cost me well over 20k to do all that has been done. and after reading the horror stories about the 96's heat problems i am glad i did. the next thing will be water cooled to keep with the high demand of power and epa regulations. how fast do u want to go??? imo. a worked 88" punched out to a 97" with about 95 h/p and 100 or more torq is plenty. it will spank any car on the road and alot of bikes. if u want high h/p then buy a crotch rocket and hit a car at 180 mph. a cruiser no matter the make will make u more responsible imo.u enjoy having poeple look at u while go by.i can go light to light and get more enjoyment cruising and hearing that beautiful harley sound while watching everyone look at my bike as i go by.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think that's bad?
try to trade in or sell a custonized bike
I couldn't get 50 cents on the dollar
but I don't intend on getting rid of anything

Old 08-26-2007, 08:48 AM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into trading my 05 fatboy on a brand new 07 heritage with factory custom paint. I was enamoured bike this bike. I had to have it. I just could not come to terms with the trade in offer. So i kept my bike and hauled right off and bought custom paint. Very happy with my bike now and it gets alot of compliments. Not to mention it will run circles around the 96".

Quick Reply: Any Way You Cut It It'll Cost You $10,000