Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no dyno needed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:22 AM
crock921
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no dyno needed??

I just called my LD and was discussing the addition of Vh BSS, forcewinder, and SERT. he said they do not need to dyno the bike because HD has the programs all set up. Is this true? I thought the dyno was necessary after piping the bike? I am confused now![:@]

Old 08-25-2007, 11:34 AM
heyrob
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: no dyno needed??

On many of the fuel management systems ( including SERT andPCIII) you can get a canned map that, depending on your set up, will get you pretty close without a dyno. The set up you are planning is very common, so there are canned maps available. But if you dyno it, you can get it dialed in perfectly (depending on the skill and care of the guy doing the tune), and will probably get a better tune (a little more power, mileage, less popping on decel etc.) If you are spendingall the money on a SERT, you may as well go with the dyno.If not, you can just get a cannedremap without bothering with the SERT.

Also,in California (where I live) the EPA is so strict thatthe canned maps that the dealers use are too tame. You have to download one yourself from the web or go to an independent tuner. Because of this problem, I passed on the SERT and used a PCIII, which I could program myself. You probably don't have this issue in Wisconsin.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

Yet another dealer misnomer!

Partially right I guess, They do have canned base maps with the SERT which might work alright but to get it dialed in correctly a dyno tune is needed. The programs or maps that come with the SERT are for SE acc. only, Not your setup!

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Rambler
Tourer

Basically the canned maps will get you to within 3 to 5 % of perfection. If your looking for the final few percentage points in HP then get it Dyno Tuned. You may pick up an additional 2 to 3 HP.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

I've attached a pic of my dyno tuning chart. The blue lines "before" is with the stage one canned map. The red lines "after" increase is just with dyno tuning. I thought it was quit an increase in HP & torque.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Trotter
Banned

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

I've attached a pic of my dyno tuning chart. The blue lines "before" is with the stage one canned map. The red lines "after" increase is just with dyno tuning. I thought it was quit an increase in HP & torque.
Your Tuner did his job looking at your printout, stay with him. What dealer or Indy did you use ?A/F isGreat no heat issues there

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Trotter

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

Your Tuner did his job looking at your printout, stay with him. What dealer or Indy did you use ?A/F isGreat no heat issues there
It was Rocket Harley Davidson in Huntsville, AL.
MPG is low to mid 40s

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
crock921
Road Captain

wow moses. that is pretty significant. i will have to get it tuned some time over the winter. at this point i just want to ride until the season ends. should i expect popping at decel?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:23 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

my bike is a built 95 all harley se parts big bore kit pistons pushrods roller rockers se 257 cams and screaming eagle heads. I have the HD download for this package installed. I never had my bike dyno tuned. The bike runs real well no hesitation very little popping if any on decel and when you twist it it just gets up and goes. I just changed my plugs at 10,000 miles which means the plugs had 5000 miles on them. you could not get a better looking plug any where just about perfect color. my exhaust tips in the back are on the black side. my thoughts were to have a pc111 put in and have it dyno tuned. My question is should i leave well enough alone by the looks of the plugs and the way its running would it be worth it. or from the info i am giving does it sound like i am close to what ill get with the dyno. I feel i should stand pat and leave it as is. any comments

Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
crock921
Road Captain

sounds to me like your bike is running well. the plugs should tell you is something is amiss.