Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estate sale bikes...what would you pay? Fat Boy/Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023 | 07:29 PM
Wakko47
|
Road Warrior
Question Estate sale bikes...what would you pay? Fat Boy/Heritage

A friend of a friend passed away recently and left behind an estranged older sister whom he hadn't spoken to in years. My friend and a family friend attorney are handling the estate, which includes two Harleys...a '99 FB and an '05 Heritage. Nobody knows the last time these bikes were run, but the decals expired in very early 2016. Tires are mostly flat (or are completely flat, but strong enough to support the bikes still) and even though there are battery tenders in place, turning the ignitions on does nothing. No idea the mileage of either. Heritage has a good amoung of green chrome freckling on forward facing surfaces but is otherwise in excellent condition. Fatty has typical fork corrosion and some very minor chrome freckling, is black, and also excellent. otherwise. Wheels don't appear to have any oxidation. the FB is Evo while the HST is a fuelie twinkie.

I'm not doing any work whatsoever on these bikes until they're mine, if I can even make it happen...there's no guarantees. The sister couldn't care less about the bikes. Both tanks smell like varnish, of course, and will need cleaning out. That's about all I know about these things. Not knowing the mileage or anything else about these bikes, what would YOU feel comfortable paying for either of these cruisers? Best case scenario is a set of tires, fuel system cleanout, brake servicing, battery, and they're on the road. Worst case is of course, high mileage with a reason why they were parked 7 or 8 years ago. He did have health issues.

Thoughts?

Old 08-24-2023 | 09:09 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd air the tires up, in case bead breaks if they go stone flat, and you got a real mess. Atleast now you can roll them out if you can air in them.

You could try a jump pack, to power them up and see the mileage. But I kinda doubt it is going to be the driving factor in the price. The other issues will push the price down more than mileage, unless they were really high. Though it wouldn't hurt to look. Maybe a battery charger on high migh be enough to power it up.

I recently start a bike with a 12 year old battery, that had not run in years using a jump pack.

98 is most likely carbed, if MM Fi I would not touch it. It is probably the easiest to get run, dump the gas, tear the carb down, it might run. 2005 will be delphi FI. I like FI but I also wonder if carbed bikes might be easier to get running. But I have never go a FI bike going that had been parked.

Personally I probably would go not more than 2-3k, just cause of the headaches. Some might say that is to low, some might say to much. Also depends if I want them for personal reasons.

These bikes are not that different than what you have. So do you want them? Not like you are getting a diferent family of bikes. But again I get personal reasons.

What serious issue could they have, that can't be fixed? Unless engine blown. But I am a sucker, and say probably not.

If not tell her to bring to a shop and have them atleast running. Maybe not bother with tires if they hold air. But people will want to see them run. If you were in a winter climate I would talk to them about a deal, leaving them over the winter.

They had tags on them, chances are just parked cause of life, but you roll the dice some.

The question is do you want either?

The following users liked this post:
HarleyHappy (08-26-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 09:14 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wakko47

A friend of a friend passed away recently and left behind an estranged older sister whom he hadn't spoken to in years. My friend and a family friend attorney are handling the estate, which includes two Harleys...a '99 FB and an '05 Heritage.

Nobody knows the last time these bikes were run, but the decals expired in very early 2016.

Tires are mostly flat (or are completely flat, but strong enough to support the bikes still)

and even though there are battery tenders in place, turning the ignitions on does nothing.

No idea the mileage of either.

Heritage has a good amoung of green chrome freckling on forward facing surfaces but is otherwise in excellent condition.

Fatty has typical fork corrosion and some very minor chrome freckling, is black, and also excellent. otherwise.

Wheels don't appear to have any oxidation. the FB is Evo while the HST is a fuelie twinkie.

I'm not doing any work whatsoever on these bikes until they're mine, if I can even make it happen...there's no guarantees. The sister couldn't care less about the bikes.

Both tanks smell like varnish, of course, and will need cleaning out.

That's about all I know about these things. Not knowing the mileage or anything else about these bikes, what would YOU feel comfortable paying for either of these cruisers? Best case scenario is a set of tires, fuel system cleanout, brake servicing, battery, and they're on the road. Worst case is of course, high mileage with a reason why they were parked 7 or 8 years ago. He did have health issues.

Thoughts?
I'll share my thoughts, but you may not like them....

These are the values given by Black Book Powersports:

Year: 1999
Make: Harley-Davidson
Model: FLSTF Fat Boy
Model Type: Cruiser
Displacement: 1340
Cylinders: 2
VIN: 1HD1BML1X
Finance Advance: $4,275
MSRP: $14,835
Avg Retail: $5,680
Auction Wholesale $4,365
Clean Trade: $4,235
Fair Trade: $3,470

Year: 2005
Make: Harley-Davidson
Model: FLSTC Heritage Classic
Model Type: Cruiser
Displacement: 1450
Cylinders: 2
VIN: 1HD1BJY15
Finance Advance: $5,645
MSRP: $17,195
Avg Retail: $6,870
Auction Wholesale $5,710
Clean Trade: $5,410
Fair Trade: $4,640

You didn't say whether the Heritage was carb or EFI.... I listed the carb prices, which for some reason are about $1K higher than the EFI.

These bikes have sit unused for a long time and are in unknown condition. Bikes that just sit, and are not run, fair worse than a bike that is ridden and maintained. I would use a good battery, hook it up to them, just to see if you can read the mileage...

You say "otherwise in excellent condition". I don't know how you can make that claim, describing them as you have, not knowing anything about them, or if they even still run...

They have been sitting unused for 7 or 8 years, and being in the the condition you report them to be in, with all else unknown.... I'd walk away... I wouldn't want them..

But if a I were to try to buy one, I wouldn't pay over fair trade for either one, and depending on close inspection, probably much less..

Both will need a new battery. There is a good possibility, depending on where they were stored, there could well be several electrical connections and sensors that will need to be separated, cleaned, and reconnected or replaced.

Both bikes will need two new tires. I am sure the tire manufacture dates are over 6-7 years old, plus having the bike's weight on them without full air in the tires for years, I suspect has ruined them. I wouldn't trust them at all...

Both bikes will need the entire fuel systems gone through. That means carbs pulled, disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt. Tanks drained, hoses changed, manifold seals replaced, and petcocks rebuilt. If the Heritage is EFI, the guts in the tank (fuel pump, fuel regulator, fuel sock, fuel filter, and internal hoses) will almost certainly need attention. Varnished gas can ruin a fuel injector, at least clog it up good...

The 2005 will also need to have the spring cam tensioners updated, if they have not been done already.

All that at the minimum... The list of things needed could grow quickly, once the bikes are started, you ride them, and can then assess any other problems that may have existed when they were parked, or developed as they were stored.

They each could be a money pit.... There is only $2K between the average retail values, and the "Fair" trade value. That means , especially with the chrome issues, you could spend far less than $2K and be upside down with the bike's value...

Use your head making this decision, not your heart...

Unless of you have some special emotional attraction to them, with the money and ability to resurrect them... You may be better off letting them go...

If you should inspect them, take some pics to share on here... There are many people knowledgeable people on this forum who can spot the good and the bad...

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted on what you decide....

The following 6 users liked this post by hattitude:
CoolBreeze3646 (08-25-2023), Fatboy Brian (08-26-2023), HarleyHappy (08-26-2023), jkinner (08-25-2023), Peak Seaker (08-28-2023), Ron750 (08-24-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-24-2023 | 09:32 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Run away. I bought a dead guy’s bike that ran. It’s been a money pit. After two years and many repairs we’re getting along okay.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron750:
HarleyHappy (08-26-2023), Vec (08-25-2023)
Old 08-24-2023 | 09:49 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Other thing, if you are not doing all the work yourself, I probably wouldn't touch them. I probably would only buy if you wanted his bikes, or a project.

Tires are a consumable item either way. You buy new tires, you got new turns to burn up. You are going to go through more tires.

The carbed evo might be running in a weekend. No other issue. Maybe nagging leaks though

FI TC $500 or so in fuel pump and guts. No clue on the induction module.

I got bike I parked about as long ago I am dealing with right now. Its running on half joke, but not great.

Old 08-25-2023 | 06:27 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

As above in post #3

They will require at a minimum to be safe and operational:

1. New tires
2. Fuel drained, replaced and tanks/lines cleaned, if fuel injected new in tank filter/lines and maybe pump.
3. Three hole fluid change with oil filter.
4. Brake fluid and clutch fluid flush & replacement if they have hydraulic clutch.
5. General cleaning and check for rodent damage.
6. Wheel bearing inspection and possible replacement.
7. New spark plugs and possibly plug wires.
8. Transfer of title - can be an issue if the estate does not have or the estate executor handling does not know where the originals are.
9. New batteries as they don't last 20 years as some have said even with battery tenders.
10. Reality: If they are not running they are just parts bikes.

So probably will cost about $2,000 each in parts etc. plus labor that you will need to factor in to what ever price is paid for the bikes.

Your attention is invited to the attached Motorcycle evaluation guide for your (or anyone else's) knowledge and use as appropriate.

Attached Files

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-25-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2023 | 06:57 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Some of this should be filed under no ****. OIl change, again consumable Plugs? $10, Why not. Plug wires, maybe, but mine are older.

He did say the 2005 is FI, which would be delphi. Those years did not come with hydraullic clutches. While I agree with changing brake fluid, reality is there are bikes with older fluid on the road.

I laugh at the idea of bike that was parked, is now considered a parts bike.

Much of this is just your normal maintenace. Which if you plan on keeping you would do, and consume it.

The evo with the carb might be easy. Nice thing about harleys is the carb is easy to pull. Could even throw a different one on. The fuel injected bike I don't know as much about get going. The pump and guts was around under $400 from Harley 6 years ago, I replaced everything in my tank. I am not sure if an induction module has any fuel sitting in it to gum up.

Did bearings go bad from sitting? I suppose possible. I would be curious if anyone has seen that. I understand the idea.

You need to seperate common maintenace which is now reset to zero for you to ride, from the cost. Yes have to pay it, but you are now consuming it just like if you bought a brand new bike.

I am not telling you do it, but I have inflated and ran tires that were over 5 years old, especially since they have not seen sunlight.

I am not saying to buy, but I am not scared of it either. Just depends if you feel like it. If you can't do the work yourself, pass.

But parts bikes out of bikes sitting with old gas, is a joke.

Old 08-25-2023 | 07:58 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Well Rounders, I am not going to get into much of a discussion with you on this. Those of us who have been buying/selling fixing/repairing motorcycles for 50 years or so know the drill.

If you cannot see and hear the bike run, you have no idea what the engine is like inside - trashed, rod knock, bad valves/cam/clutch etc. Any of these items may render the the cost above what the bike is worth.

Also the items I listed are bargaining tools for the astute among us who know what we are doing.

If you want to gain some knowledge and become astute in these matters, suggest you take a read of the attachment I provided in my post above.

It should be a good read while you sit around deer camp, cook the food, tend the fire, and keep the place clean for the men who are out hunting.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 08-25-2023 at 09:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
04FXDI (08-27-2023), HarleyHappy (08-26-2023), MarlinSpike (08-25-2023), Ron750 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023 | 09:03 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master

Truth be told - You should just forget it and pass on them. But if it's something you want to take on for whatever reason -Don't pay much. Personally, I have not paid over $500 for what I call non-runners. I used to turn a lot of bikes and non-running bikes that had been sitting usually the people were just glad to get rid of them which worked well for me.

They may be nice bikes again someday but be prepared for work and money to get to that point. Start out with an investment you feel you could get back out of them if you change your mind mid-build or if it comes to parting them out. That way you know you will not lose any money.

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (08-27-2023)
Old 08-25-2023 | 09:20 AM
Super38
Cruiser

Im thinking like a grand each and that's if you can do the work yourself...

The following 2 users liked this post by Super38:
HarleyHappy (08-26-2023), Vec (08-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Estate sale bikes...what would you pay? Fat Boy/Heritage