Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estate sale bikes...what would you pay? Fat Boy/Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023 | 08:14 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Garry Sr
I'd go 3k for the pair, you can double your money standing on your head.
A price for both, may get her to sell easier. I do think you could make money if you wanted. If you got space, if could be a fun project.

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Th I do not know anyone with Carfax access to check the VINs for me, but I will ask around.

ill.
I think you are way over thinking this. Its a couple of cheap motorcycles. What you think they were in a flood?? Don't know your state, but if they were total in many states the title would be branded. The guy was riding them, had health issues and never rode again.

It is possible something needed fixed, and he never got to it because of his health and just quit caring.

I also think you are way ove3r thinking the TC. If you can work on an evo, you can work on TC. Get a factory manual. Bikes those old you can get on ebay $40-50 shipped.

2005 has delhi fuel injection. I have one. People have said parts are getting harder to find. I don'gt know if that is true or not. I Worse case you replace it tuner that replaces ECm. But that would be some money, for that price you may consider carb.

But really I think you replace the fuel pump and assmebly for under $500. Ibought factory pump. But you can dirt cheap chinese pumps off amazon. But I do think the evo is the easier one. You could have that running in a weekend.

I am running that vintage of fuel injhection, and have no plans selling, and parts are available.

If you are selling, air up the tires, if they hold air no cracks, sell the guy they are old. Tell the guy you put cheap fuel pump in. If they are not cracked, and holding air, myself, I would run them. I got front tires in my fleet that are old. I got a 2015 right now.
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/v-t...yABEgJ_XPD_BwE

The following users liked this post:
HarleyHappy (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023 | 08:34 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wakko47
Thanks for the insight, fellas. I put a jump pack on the FB and it has 13k miles. I did not attempt to start. I aired up the tires as well, and while there aren't any cracks or rot, and minimal wear, I agree that the cost of possibly crappy tires is too great. The FB is carbed, and I can rebuild the CV carbs in my sleep, so that's not a big deal. It's got SE jugs and pipes on it, and the module under the seat is also SE. Battery is dated 2013.

The Heritage is fuel injected, but I don't know what kind. It says SPI on the tuna can but that's all I know. I did not attempt to check mileage on it.

As far as how I can tell that the bikes are in excellent condition, that's a silly question. I cannot speak for the mechanical condition, obviously. The exterior condition of the bikes are excellent. They've clearly been kept in the garage their whole lives, have no evidence of being dropped, and no obvious evidence of a crash (though I recognize that I'd need to look alot deeper for that). I do not know anyone with Carfax access to check the VINs for me, but I will ask around.

I can do the FB work myself easily, though I won't mess with the tires. I'd like to keep this bike, as I cut my teeth on an '05 FB and miss that bike, but prefer the EVO in my '96 Dyna than the twinkie in that '05 FB and in the Heritage. The Heritage I'm sure I can figure out much of it easily enough with parts replacement, and I do have a friend that's familiar. If I made a play for the Heritage, it would be to sell. We have the title in hand for the FB but so far haven't found the one for the Heritage, but the attorney isn't too concerned with that. There's no auction to bid on. As of right now, the sister has basically said to get them out. My thoughts are $2k on the FB is safe. The Heritage? Jury is out still.

Thanks fore that additional info... Sounds like you've put some good thought into this...

Since you have the skills to do the work, this could be a fun project...

Keep us posted on the outcome...

PS- The Heritage will have the Delphi EFI. They are solid. I have a 2003 Heritage EFI that I bought new, and it still runs excellent...!

HarleyHappy (08-28-2023)
Old 08-27-2023 | 09:50 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cap77
help me with that, Smitty
what's the concern(s) using a jump pack?

..L.T.A.
Its a battery designed to jump start vehicles

Can You Use a Jump Pack on a Motorcycle?
You can also jump start a motorcycle using a jump pack. Jump packs are portable batteries designed to help start up your motorcycle without the need for a second vehicle. When selecting a jump pack, be sure that the model you choose is compatible with your battery's voltage rating. Most motorcycles run on 12-volt batteries. The GB20 Genius Boost Sport from NOCO is perfect for motorcycles and will provide up to 20 jump starts before the unit needs to be recharged. Jump packs also feature smaller clips that are ideal for getting at hard-to-reach batteries.

Old 08-27-2023 | 10:02 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by smitty901
Do not use a jump pack to try and start them . Charge the battery if you can. Jump packs can cause damage to them.
Please explain how a jump pack can cause damage.

Rounders (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023 | 12:53 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

When did this dude @Rounders surface? Seems like a know it all to me. Buy the bikes, who gives two ***** about anyone's opinion. Roll them in the garage. Pick one, work on one. Take your time. Have fun and make it a project, make it enjoyable. Who cares about the money, make it about you. Take your time, you have time, this isn't a project that has a deadline. I wish I could stumble across a barn find or estate sale like this. Think outside of the box. Not what everyone else has to say. Buy em. Eff it.

Old 08-27-2023 | 03:47 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member

let's work backwards:
In "good" running condition, full retail is about $5000 and $7000
just to get them running safely figure $2k each (if not doing yourself)

so now you're at 3k and 5k

then the cosmetics

I think realistically , without seeing them, and not fighting a bunch of tire kickers that don't show up with cash, they are $2,000 for the fatboy, $3000 for the heritage

Old 08-27-2023 | 04:17 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
When did this dude @Rounders surface? Seems like a know it all to me. Buy the bikes, who gives two ***** about anyone's opinion. Roll them in the garage. Pick one, work on one. Take your time. Have fun and make it a project, make it enjoyable. Who cares about the money, make it about you. Take your time, you have time, this isn't a project that has a deadline. I wish I could stumble across a barn find or estate sale like this. Think outside of the box. Not what everyone else has to say. Buy em. Eff it.
Bleep bleep, and bleeping. How is this really any different than what I said? I said buy them if you want them.

By know it all, you mean, I know what year things changed on harleys?? If you think this thread is super technical, you probably got the dealer changing your oil.

Read my posts before you insult me.

Last edited by Rounders; 08-27-2023 at 04:32 PM.
04FXDI (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023 | 04:48 AM
Garry Sr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
A price for both, may get her to sell easier. I do think you could make money if you wanted. If you got space, if could be a fun project.
If he gets both of them for 3k and he wants to keep one he could sell the other for what he paid for both without even touching it and have a free bike

Old 08-28-2023 | 04:51 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

@Rounders not an insult at all. You just seem like that guy who has his own opinion bout things, if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're wrong.

And no, I do most of my own maintenance, the Condo Association isn't fond of it but I do what I can. last time my Indy did my oil was because I had
major surgery on my wrist and tied up for 3 weeks. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a garage, but I'll sacrifice my lifestyle for my daughters
college education.

Old 08-28-2023 | 05:04 AM
Garry Sr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
@Rounders not an insult at all. You just seem like that guy who has his own opinion bout things, if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're wrong.

And no, I do most of my own maintenance, the Condo Association isn't fond of it but I do what I can. last time my Indy did my oil was because I had
major surgery on my wrist and tied up for 3 weeks. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a garage, but I'll sacrifice my lifestyle for my daughters
college education.
I've got about 4 places in Mi I can stay for 100% free but I've got the same problem, can't wrench

Quick Reply: Estate sale bikes...what would you pay? Fat Boy/Heritage