Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Chain tensioner dealer price

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 07:41 AM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Cam Chain tensioner dealer price

Hi all, anyone paid for this job recently and if so what to expect to pay. I realize if you include lifters and a few other items its more. But generally Ive heard rumors of 1200-2000 dollars from dealer work. Is that correct? Thanks

Old 08-05-2023, 08:14 AM
Fuzzman71
Advanced
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Yep, sounds about right. My dealer quoted me right at $1700. And I believe that part is right at $600 so, that's $1100 labor.. No thanks I'll do it myself. Sorry I didn't mean to go off there. To answer the question the price sounds accurate.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:21 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Depends on what parts are used and what the labor rate is in your area.....

There are basically 4 ways to fix that problem; Just replace the tensioner pads (if you go this route, replaced with Cyco brand tensioner pads) $$, upgrade to hydraulic tensioners with the Screamin' Eagle cam plate (but it will leave the link chain between the cams so not a complete fix) $$$, upgrade to hydraulic tensioners using an '07+ cam plate & pump (but will need new conversion cams, best chioce if you want to do a cam mod at the same time) $$$$$, and then replacing the tensioners altogether with gear drive cams (gets rid of tensioners & cam chains, but you need your crank runout to be 0.003" or less) $$$$$$...

I've done just the tensioner pad replacement on one of my twin cams ('01 Springer) and a friend's bike ('04 Softail). These bikes don't get a lot of miles put on them. However, many people have reported the cyco spring tensioner pads last really well. I've read several reports tensioner pads having 40K +miles, when just replacing the tensioner pads with Cyco brand pads.

I've done the '07+ cam plate upgrade to my '03 Heritage with a big bore kit and new conversion cams. This is my favorite choice of the four becuase it ends up with newer hysdraulic tensioners AND newer roller chains. But as mentioned, it will require new conversion cams, and then of course a new tune...

I have never used the Screamin' Eagle cam plate option. While it does switch over to hydraulic tensioners, it only uses a new roller chain between the crank & cams. It retains the older link style chain between the cams. That link style chain is considered partially responsible for the accelerated spring tensioner pad wear. IMHO, this is an expensive option for just an incomplete fix.

I have gear drive chains on my bagger, but that is a crate engine with pretty big HP/TQ numbers compared to the stock twin cam. They are nice, but much more expensive than the '07+ cam plate option, not available for your bike if the runout numbers aren't within spec, and IMHO a little overkill for a basic stage II engine mod... But they are nice if you have the $$$$$.

Good luck with your decision..

Last edited by hattitude; 08-05-2023 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:30 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

@hattitude is always right on the money. He knows his ****.

You can opt for something like this, IDK your year, make and model. But Feuling is top notch.
Harley Davidson Racing and Performance Parts and Accessories - FeulingParts.com

If your pockets are shallow, and would really like to wake her up, then this may be a good idea Feuling Parts

Last edited by 04FXDI; 08-05-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:47 PM
duffy8540
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 107 Posts

I had mine done (05' FLSTSC/I) by an Indy last fall and his labor rate was just $40 an hour......still cost me almost $1800. SE 07'+ cam plate kit (includes larger oil pump, new chains and gears), Fueling lifters, SE adjustable push rods, S&S 510 cams (why not since it was apart) and new inner and outer cam bearings (came with the S&S cam kit). He did the job without taking apart the rocker boxes to save some labor. This spring I had him do a V&H digital tuner and a Jagg six row oil cooler to the tune of another $1200. Both jobs together took a total of 5 hours according to his bill. He got all of his parts aftermarket to keep the price down. My math says $3000........

Old 08-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,268 Posts

I would be shopping for at least 5 more quotes , but definitely NOT from any stealership . I did both of mine with just the Nylon shoe kit. Took all of 6 hours and would have been less, if I just bought them fully assembled.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:28 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,310 Likes on 2,670 Posts

talked to an indy recently.
estimated labor for shoe change $350
I "presume" that's using adjustable push rods so the tank and rocker covers aren't removed??

..L.T.A.

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:23 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

Originally Posted by 04FXDI

You can opt for something like this, IDK your year, make and model. But Feuling is top notch.
Harley Davidson Racing and Performance Parts and Accessories - FeulingParts.com

If your pockets are shallow, and would really like to wake her up, then this may be a good idea Feuling Parts

I was unaware of those Fueling packages.... They seem to be a pretty good value...

04FXDI (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 03:44 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 908 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I was unaware of those Fueling packages.... They seem to be a pretty good value...
Definitely get a little more for money with the Feuling kits, my Indy actually prefers them over the S&S kits. I trust his judgement, so far
he's been right on for me. I opted for this. Woke the bike right up, but she was altogether a different animal after the Dyno Tune, the
canned map was noticeable, but I was wowed afterwards.

Feuling Parts

hattitude (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 06:55 AM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all the valuable input. After looking over both (the inside with a mirror of course) I think I'm going to wait a bit and do it myself. It's not bad at all if you pay attention to detail, stay organized, and don't rush. Oh yeah and use youtube as a guide. This one should have a fair amount of time on it. I change oil a lot because I just like fluids clean.

hattitude (08-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Cam Chain tensioner dealer price