Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85 Flex Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E85 Flex Fuel

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but can you run E85 in the newer Harleys, or buy a kit that will allow them to run it? I'm thinkin' that could save quite a bit over time at the pump. I read an article that says Harley says it's ok to run E10, but I'm curious about E85 that you see at a bunch of gas stations now.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Screamin00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E85 Flex Fuel

i wouldnt, there is quite a bit of tuning to do, you would have to have the insde of the tank lined since it is metal and the e-85 can hurt it, the a/f ratio is complety diffrent, it can also burn up your rings quicker if there not made for it. Ive actualy researched it a decent amout because i was going to try running it in my trans am when i still had it because its around 100 octain and i coulda bumped the timing even more

Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

This is what I found about running E10 in Harleys. However, it doesn't mention E85.

Ethanol-Blended Fuel and Your Motorcycle
The use of E-10 Unleaded is approved for use by major motorcycle manufacturers including Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. Harley-Davidson goes so far as to recommend the use of renewable, clean air fuels such as E-10 Unleaded because of their environmental and performance benefits.

http://www.ncga.com/ethanol/main/your_car.htm

Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, dont run E85. It will eat away at rubber in the system and the fuel system needs much more(way rich)of it to run. I dont think the fuel system can adjust enough to make it work. I have ran E85 in my Ford, which is designed to use it....the gas milageis very very bad! It will lower my milage by about 25% and it is only about 10%-15% cheaper then gas.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

I knew that it lowered fuel mileage. I read a study that said a 2007 Tahoe averages 14 mpg with regular gas. It dropped to 10 mpg with with E85. However, when you crunch the numbers, it pretty much balances out to the same cost in the end. More expensive fuel + more gas mileage = Less expensive fuel + less gas mileage. But with Premium gas being $.20 more per gallon than regular gas, it should wind up being cheaper runnin' E85. None of that matters though if you can't run it in the bikes. So I guess the answer to my question is: No. You can't run E85 in a stock Harley. Is there a company that makes a kit to change out the stuff on a bike to make it compatible? Not sure if it's worth it, but it was just a random thought that popped in my head, so I was curious.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't run it in a stock HD. BUT, I can remember when E85 was a high dollar racing fuel, especially when the other 15% was nitromethane.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:03 PM
deluxxxe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E85 is 85% ethanol 15 gasoline. It will destroy any fuel system that was not designed to run it.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That whole ethanol thing is ridiculous ... I won't even run E85 in a vehicle designed for it. If ever there was a non-solution to a problem, E85 is it. Step away from that pump - Pull upto the real fuel :-)

Old 08-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp

ORIGINAL: Midwest Muscle

That whole ethanol thing is ridiculous ... I won't even run E85 in a vehicle designed for it. If ever there was a non-solution to a problem, E85 is it. Step away from that pump - Pull upto the real fuel :-)
Gotta disagree with ya. I'm all for giving less money to the Middle East and giving more money to the American farmer.

The following users liked this post:
1 2 many (05-19-2024)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Live2Ride

ORIGINAL: Midwest Muscle

Gotta disagree with ya. I'm all for giving less money to the Middle East and giving more money to the American farmer.
The American farmer has not been getting rich or even comfortable selling any product for a very long time. The only people getting the money for Ethanol are the agro giants like ADM. The farmers have to sell there corn to someone, and that someone tends to be large Agro corps that completly screw them, ethanol or no ethanol.

Quick Reply: E85 Flex Fuel