Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Suspension for handling performance 2009 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 01:00 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best Suspension for handling performance 2009 Heritage

Greetings, I ride a 2009 Heritage with stock front and rear suspension, that is pretty bouncy in the curves. I like to ride spirited in the turns and would like some suspension recommendations from those that have later model heritage softails. I'm looking for mainly a performance upgrade not concerned with lowering the bike at all.

Thank you in advance,

T

Old 07-11-2023, 02:14 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

I spent money on my Bagger suspension, that's what I tour on...

I've left my Softails with OEM suspension.... for now....

But.... I have heard/read a lot of positive feedback on the Legends suspension for Softails (2000-2017).

https://www.legendsuspensions.com/pr...ftail-2000-17/

They have two drawbacks:

1) They are pretty expensive, but if I were going to do long, multi-day trips on my Softails, I'd spend the money...

2) They block access to the trans drain plug that is between the OEM shocks. To do a trans oil change, you need to drop a shock, or use a vacuum oil changer to remove the old trans oil out the dipstick. Again, if I really wanted performance on my softails, this wouldn't dissuade me. The trans oil stays relatively clean, so leaving a small amount in the case when using a vacuum oil changer wouldn't bother me... I changed oil in numerous boat engines over the years using a vacuum oil changer... If it didn't hurt a boat engine (they have a hard life/duty cycle) than I doubt it will hurt an HD Transmission..

My second choice would be the Progressive RAP shocks for a softail... They are a cheaper shock, yet also get a lot of positive reviews..

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...es-shocks-wrap

Good luck with your decsion

Old 07-11-2023, 02:15 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

There's a few high-quality options out there. But we need a budget to point you in the right direction.

Old 07-11-2023, 02:21 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hattitude
I spent money on my Bagger suspension, that's what I tour on...

I've left my Softails with OEM suspension.... for now....

But.... I have heard/read a lot of positive feedback on the Legends suspension for Softails (2000-2017).

https://www.legendsuspensions.com/pr...ftail-2000-17/

They have two drawbacks:

1) They are pretty expensive, but if I were going to do long, multi-day trips on my Softails, I'd spend the money...

2) They block access to the trans drain plug that is between the OEM shocks. To do a trans oil change, you need to drop a shock, or use a vacuum oil changer to remove the old trans oil out the dipstick. Again, if I really wanted performance on my softails, this wouldn't dissuade me. The trans oil stays relatively clean, so leaving a small amount in the case when using a vacuum oil changer wouldn't bother me... I changed oil in numerous boat engines over the years using a vacuum oil changer... If it didn't hurt a boat engine (they have a hard life/duty cycle) than I doubt it will hurt an HD Transmission..

My second choice would be the Progressive RAP shocks for a softail... They are a cheaper shock, yet also get a lot of positive reviews..

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...es-shocks-wrap

Good luck with your decsion
Great info to start with. Thank you! Do you know if the progressives block the drain plug? I change my trans fluid every 3-6k so shocks that block the plug might be. deal breaker, unless a vacume pump got 90% of the oil fluid out?

Old 07-11-2023, 02:22 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
There's a few high-quality options out there. But we need a budget to point you in the right direction.
I'm thinking up to 1500, if they will make a solid difference in touring and handling. thanks

Old 07-11-2023, 03:01 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Originally Posted by kneesinthebreeze24
Great info to start with. Thank you! Do you know if the progressives block the drain plug? I change my trans fluid every 3-6k so shocks that block the plug might be. deal breaker, unless a vacume pump got 90% of the oil fluid out?

Pretty sure the Progressives don't block the drain plug....

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
04FXDI (07-12-2023), kneesinthebreeze24 (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 03:14 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

I'm thinking up to 1500, if they will make a solid difference in touring and handling. thanks
I have the RAP 422's and Monotubes upfront. You won't be disappointed, and there will be more members to follow backing my statement.

You can really dial in the RAP's, for solo, solo tour, 2up and 2up tour, I've got mine dialed in pretty tight to my wants and needs. I could drag the
floorboards on the stock suspension but, (to me) she always felt a lil squirrely, now I have no fears or concerns of throwing her into the twisties, I'm
not an on the edge rider or very aggressive, but she takes to the road so much better and planted than OEM, to where the Progressive actually gave
me a boost of confidence and my skill level, mind you, I've been 2 wheeling since the late 70s. Progressive transformed my Heritage.

I tour a lot, my main reason not to go air, was if you spring a leak and need parts, not every shop in town is going to carry air ride parts for your specific
set up, but you can get a set of OEM style shocks at any dealer, and back on the road in no time. Progressive is my choice.

The following users liked this post:
Clammy (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 04:39 PM
kneesinthebreeze24
Cruiser

I have the RAP 422's and Monotubes upfront. You won't be disappointed, and there will be more members to follow backing my statement.

You can really dial in the RAP's, for solo, solo tour, 2up and 2up tour, I've got mine dialed in pretty tight to my wants and needs. I could drag the
floorboards on the stock suspension but, (to me) she always felt a lil squirrely, now I have no fears or concerns of throwing her into the twisties, I'm
not an on the edge rider or very aggressive, but she takes to the road so much better and planted than OEM, to where the Progressive actually gave
me a boost of confidence and my skill level, mind you, I've been 2 wheeling since the late 70s. Progressive transformed my Heritage.

I tour a lot, my main reason not to go air, was if you spring a leak and need parts, not every shop in town is going to carry air ride parts for your specific
set up, but you can get a set of OEM style shocks at any dealer, and back on the road in no time. Progressive is my choice.
Thanks man! I appreciate he info. This sounds exactly what I'm looking for!!!. Agreed, my bike definitely squirrelly in the turns. Bounces more than I would like and wants to drift to the outside, than carve through the turn. I'm going to look into the mono tubes for the front and 422 in the back.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:56 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 808 Posts

This is the setup I have on Reaper. I have put in many thousands of miles with it, and I concur with everything written.

Cheers!

04FXDI (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 07:59 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 808 Posts

Thanks man! I appreciate he info. This sounds exactly what I'm looking for!!!. Agreed, my bike definitely squirrelly in the turns. Bounces more than I would like and wants to drift to the outside, than carve through the turn. I'm going to look into the mono tubes for the front and 422 in the back.
I recommend spending the extra bucks for the 422 w/RAP. I had the non-RAP 422s for years, and they were great, but I switch between solo, loaded with luggage and 2-up all the time, so doing the adjustments became a chore, and I wound up setting them with more preload than I wanted solo, but not enough for loaded down, as a compromise. I switched to the RAPs a couple of years ago, and realized I should have gone that route from the get-go. Switching between riding configurations is simple and takes literally seconds, now.

Cheers!

04FXDI (07-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Best Suspension for handling performance 2009 Heritage