Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mikuni for $200?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 01:25 PM
dl03
|
Tourer
Default mikuni for $200?

my buddy and my inde has offered me a mukni 42 mm w/ manifold from one of his other customers for $200. bucks.
is this a good deal??? this is the price that the guy wants for it.

what should i expect,performance wise from this. i do plan on doing a gear driven cam in the near future. but i was curios if the carb will net some noticable difference from my stock cv. any insight and all opions are welcomed.
thanks.
jay.

Old 08-22-2007 | 01:47 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Default RE: mikuni for $200?

Not sure on the performance gain but the price looks good. Most kits I have seen run upwards of $400...

Old 08-22-2007 | 01:48 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser

Jay, that's a night and day difference IMO. My '03 FXSTS had the Mikuni 42HSR when I bought it this summer. After having it, I can't imagine going back to the stock CV carb, or FI for that matter. You can't make that Mikuni miss a beat, and the throttle response is insane. I've tried to make mine hiccup, cough, sputter (all the things a CV does pretty often), and it just won't do it.

If the carb is known to be good, it's worth the money. I always wonder why someone takes something off ... In other words, my first reaction is there might be something wrong with it. But if it's like it came out of the box, you'll love it.

Mike

Old 08-22-2007 | 02:02 PM
dl03
|
Tourer

mike. thanks. now ireally can't wait to put it on. i appreciate the good lookin-out.
the carbitself is flawless. the guy who has it blew the 110 rev-tech it was on. he is now going to a 124" my buddy assures me that it is in new condition. i trust him. he was my friend before he was my indy. so with that said. iam goin to call him and tell him to get it.

airborn350g. yeah i haven't priced them, i wasn't planning on getting one yet,til this came up.

thanks alot guys.
jay.

Old 08-22-2007 | 09:48 PM
JimmyR
Novice

I recently got a Mikuni HSR42 easy kit - think it was around $280? - but I needed to buy an air cleaner kit also. So I got a Ness Big Sucker, installed it all and wow what a difference! My bike is a '98 Fatboy and the Mikuni knocks socks off the stock carby. I already had V+H stepped drag pipes on the bike and now this thing goes how I wanted it to all along. Before when I rolled the throttle there was a kinda flat spot and the engine seemed reluctant to actually push me anywhere! Now it's like the engine can't wait to get going.

I'm looking at getting a Dynatek ignition now, and then I think I'll be set. I don't really want to get into changing cams etc. I used to ride a Kawasaki Meanstreak 1500 and it was a lot quicker off the mark than the Fatty is. But I'm gradually getting back to where I want to be with these mods. So before I fit the ignition I'm putting on better brakes!

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:46 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

I installed the 42 Mikuni and the dyno didnt lie, with a completely stock engine and V&H pipes there was almost NO gain at all! (63 hp and 73 lbs of torque) the thottle responce was a little better, but thats it.

Now that I have a 95 incher with ported heads and cams and an exhaust better suited to making power the carb shines!

This is a mod I wouldnt recomend until other engine mods are being done. Just part of a bigger package.

Old 08-23-2007 | 08:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member

Do it!!
You won't regret it...

Old 08-23-2007 | 05:50 PM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mentor70

I installed the 42 Mikuni and the dyno didnt lie, with a completely stock engine and V&H pipes there was almost NO gain at all! (63 hp and 73 lbs of torque) the thottle responce was a little better, but thats it.

Now that I have a 95 incher with ported heads and cams and an exhaust better suited to making power the carb shines!

This is a mod I wouldnt recomend until other engine mods are being done. Just part of a bigger package.
I would agree with everything there, except my view on your last point is just a little different. If putting it out-of-box helps the driveability and throttle response, plus gives you growing rooms for more mods, I think it's wise to do it right away. I've built many more cars than I have bikes, but anytime I can make an immediate improvement and allow growing room for future mods, I pull the trigger.

Mike

Old 08-23-2007 | 06:16 PM
dl03
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Midwest Muscle

ORIGINAL: mentor70

I would agree with everything there, except my view on your last point is just a little different. If putting it out-of-box helps the driveability and throttle response, plus gives you growing rooms for more mods, I think it's wise to do it right away. I've built many more cars than I have bikes, but anytime I can make an immediate improvement and allow growing room for future mods, I pull the trigger.

Mike
i agree.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:56 PM
cnchavez
Intermediate

oh he!! its 200.00 if you don't like it sell it

Quick Reply: mikuni for $200?