Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSSM question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023 | 07:54 PM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced
Default TSSM question

Hey everyone. I searched around the forums and didn't find exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask. I have a 2002 softail standard (FXST 1BHY). After reading around on here and checking I determined my bike has a non security tsm (68921-01A). My question is checking flebay I see several different models and I'm not sure what all models I can snag that will work? From what I've read I have to go with a button fob which is fine, but I'm unsure exactly which tssm part numbers I can get away with. Of coarse harley only offers the newest one on the website and was hoping I could get a used one with a fob online somewhere. My bike is carb and I've also read If I pick a tssm up it won't have to be married to the ecm if anyone can confirm? Thanks

Old 03-28-2023 | 10:21 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hyoslvr
Hey everyone. I searched around the forums and didn't find exactly what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask. I have a 2002 softail standard (FXST 1BHY). After reading around on here and checking I determined my bike has a non security tsm (68921-01A). My question is checking flebay I see several different models and I'm not sure what all models I can snag that will work? From what I've read I have to go with a button fob which is fine, but I'm unsure exactly which tssm part numbers I can get away with. Of coarse harley only offers the newest one on the website and was hoping I could get a used one with a fob online somewhere. My bike is carb and I've also read If I pick a tssm up it won't have to be married to the ecm if anyone can confirm? Thanks

The matching TSSM for the bikes that take the #68921-01A Turn signal module (TSM), is #68923-00. It shows that your bike can take the newest version #68923-00D. However, that TSSM is obsolete, and no longer available from the MoCo. Based on the fact that it shows you can use the "D" suffix, you should be able to use any TSSM with the suffixes A, B, C, or D after the part # of 68923-00.

The 2001 and 2003 Electrical Diagnostic manuals, show the below table which confirms the TSSM doesn't need to be married, referred to as "Password Learning", before it will work on the bike.

You WILL however, need to set the security code and assign the Key fob(s) to the TSSM. There are charts in the Electrical Diagnostic Manual that spell out how to do it. It is cumbersome and the process needs to be followed to the letter..

The process for assigning key fob(s) (up to two per TSSM) is the same whether the personal security code has been assigned or not...

But there are two different processes to set the security code based on whether it's a first time set-up, or you are changing an already assigned security code..

I would suggest you don't buy one unless it comes with the assigned security code, or it is NOS (New Old Stock) that has never had a security code assigned.

I hope this helps...

Good luck with adding a TSSM..

Last edited by hattitude; 03-28-2023 at 10:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
ajtwin (03-29-2023), Tcrafty (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 09:53 AM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by hattitude

I hope this helps...

Good luck with adding a TSSM..
Yes! This has helped immensely. Thank you! 🙂

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 02:38 PM
MarlinSpike
Road Master

Mr H really knows his stuff.
But pertaining to resetting the TSSM and FOB, - the only thing I will add is that he stated "cumbersome" to be nice - It is more like a royal PITA !

Last edited by MarlinSpike; 03-29-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2023 | 02:53 PM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarlinSpike
Mr H really knows his stuff.
But pertaining to resetting the TSSM and FOB, - the only thing I will add is that he stated "cumbersome" to be nice - It is more like a royal PITA !
Understood. My local dealer quoted me $650 for a new tssm and 1 fob. Programed and installed they said. Was just weighing my options

Old 03-29-2023 | 03:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks like you got what you needed. There's some real sharp knowledgeable people on here.

PS. Just in case, and only as a suggestion..make your next new post over in the new member welcome area.

And for sure, Welcome and I hope you enjoy your ride with us.

Old 03-29-2023 | 03:31 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Carbs don't have ECMs to marry too.

I was looking at replacing mine, but also figure if I do it maybe I should decide if I want to LED, I believe if you get the right TSSM you don't need resistors. Not positive on that.

Old 03-29-2023 | 03:46 PM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Looks like you got what you needed. There's some real sharp knowledgeable people on here.

PS. Just in case, and only as a suggestion..make your next new post over in the new member welcome area.

And for sure, Welcome and I hope you enjoy your ride with us.
not a problem I do plan to. I’d even like to post a picture once its all cleaned up. 🙂 I had a sportster before, but a lady hit me and totaled it. This is my first softail

The following users liked this post:
Jackie Paper (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023 | 03:49 PM
hyoslvr
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rounders
Carbs don't have ECMs to marry too.

I was looking at replacing mine, but also figure if I do it maybe I should decide if I want to LED, I believe if you get the right TSSM you don't need resistors. Not positive on that.
my sportster had all custom dynamics leds. First thing the lady said when she hit me was she didn’t see me. I mainly wanted to convert to TSSM because I hit a lot of stores on the weekend and liked the idea of just hitting a button to temporarily disable it. But I understand the adddd cost vs minimal feature

Old 03-29-2023 | 03:54 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't think LEDs nescarilly make it bright. You have to go by lumens. You want to covert it to get rid of secruity, is that what you are saying? Its a 20 year old bike, I would if I could. I find the fob annoying. I think about just leaving it on the bike. But then I think welll I got it I should use. Meanwhile my other bikes are not locked.

I have a TSM on my 01. You have TSSm which also provides secruity, right? If I am understanding you just want to install a TSM.

Last edited by Rounders; 03-29-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: TSSM question