Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 09:13 PM
neanderpaul
|
6th Gear
Default Fat Boy or Heritage?

First, I want to thank everyone for all of your advice re: the Bad Boy. Unfortunately, it was bought from under me before I could purchase it...oh well he who hesitates...

Anyway, I'm now turning my attention to bigger softails. I'm currently on a VTX 1800 Classic, and find that I like the "Fat" feeling bike. But, of course, why settle for the knockoff...so I'm wondering if anyone has seen any comparisons between the Fat Boy and Heritage Softail. I've ridden Fat Boys before, but never the Heritage, and I'm wondering what differences there are. It appears to be the same bike with the exception of the handlebars and fender trim/laced wheels.

Is it pretty much the same bike or no?

Old 02-05-2005 | 09:37 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Fat Boy or Heritage?

Same bike - frame, suspension, engine, tranny. Like you sed: Different seat, bars, wheels, cosmetics.

Old 02-05-2005 | 11:24 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pococj

Same bike - frame, suspension, engine, tranny. Like you sed: Different seat, bars, wheels, cosmetics.

Old 02-06-2005 | 09:52 AM
randyr
Advanced

I looked at both rather extensively and decided on the Fat Boy - I wanted to customize it to my taste rather than having the factory do most of the work. I didn't like the handlebars - too high and when riding the fat boy was more of a sports car.

Old 02-06-2005 | 10:34 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

My Paw-in-law has a Heritage Springer that's gourgous!

Old 02-06-2005 | 11:12 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Depends on your intended use. Around town, the Fat Boy would be the choice, but don't rule out the Deluxe. (In my opinion, the sharpest bike Harley makes right now). For touring, the nod goes to the Heritage.

Heritage has bags and windshield already installed. On the Fat Boy both are extra, and the size of available bags on the Fat Boy are limited by the shotgun exhaust. Unless you want to change exhaust, you have to get pretty small bags.

For touring, the solid wheels on the Fat Boy can be a problem. They catch a lot of wind in crosswind situations. Wyoming between New Castle and Cheyenne during Sturgis comes to mind. We rode through some 50 to 60 MPH direct crosswinds one year coming home.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-07-2005 | 02:50 AM
sfarson
Road Master

Yep, essentially the same bike except for what's noted above. I'd go for the Heritage. Versatile in stock form. Can easily strip it down. Can take it across the country. Classic looks. I personally like the higher bars... enhances the in-the-bike feel.

Old 02-07-2005 | 08:28 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Depends on your intended use. Around town, the Fat Boy would be the choice, but don't rule out the Deluxe. (In my opinion, the sharpest bike Harley makes right now). For touring, the nod goes to the Heritage.

Heritage has bags and windshield already installed. On the Fat Boy both are extra, and the size of available bags on the Fat Boy are limited by the shotgun exhaust. Unless you want to change exhaust, you have to get pretty small bags.

For touring, the solid wheels on the Fat Boy can be a problem. They catch a lot of wind in crosswind situations. Wyoming between New Castle and Cheyenne during Sturgis comes to mind. We rode through some 50 to 60 MPH direct crosswinds one year coming home.

Regards,

Bill
Billnourse is right on the money! Its a bit of a misnomer to say they are essentially the same when to get them exactly the same would cost alot of money. Billnourse makes all the good points about the cost if you end up wanting to go touring or simply want to enjoy the comfort of a windshield like I do.

The only thing wrong with the Heritage is the stock mini chopper handlebars. They are crap. I am swapping mine for the fatboy handlebars at a minimal cost. After sitting on the Deluxe and the Fatboy to try out the handlebars I decided on the Fatboy handlebars because you don't need to change the risers. The risers on the FatBoy are indentical to the risers on the Heritage, so all you need to do is purchase the fatboy bars - no risers needed as you would if you want for the Deluxe handlebars.

The fatboy bars are just as nice as the Deluxe bars and half the price if fitting on the Heritage.

If you decide on the Heritage you get the cruising capability in the cost. I took off my saddlebags and will only put them on for the odd tour - otherwise they are off by default and now my Heritage looks like a fat boy but has the extras.

Go see my album for pics....

Old 02-07-2005 | 01:51 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member

My vote goes for uh,,uh, let me see the HERITAGE, why you might ask yourself, first of all is the wheel's, not to make no one mad or anything but I do not like the wheel's if they are not chrome or just completely gone and just like Howartthou said the cost for the extra part's just don't aid up when you can take off on the Heritage and have pretty much the same bike only better.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 02-11-2005 | 08:13 AM
SERB
Tourer

I would go for the Heritage, but I would have to change the seat and saddle bags. I cant get behind the studded look. The rest of it is cool, though. I like the Fat Boy, but it would cost too much to change the wheels, exhaust, then buy bags and a windshield.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy or Heritage?