Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late model Fatboy leather saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2022 | 08:29 AM
Mrbirdog
|
Cruiser
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Mrbirdog
I like the 40 series from boss and Iron bags they’re expensive as much or more than Harley. I just don’t like the hard shell bags… lockable would be nice but it’s not a necessity.When you search the inter-web, sometimes you miss things, that’s why I’m posting, someone out there might have a better mousetrap.Happy holidays.Mrbirdog

Old 12-11-2022 | 08:32 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I like black and buckle with maybe conchos. Custom would be great.

Any pics would be awesome as well

Happy holidays and thanks in advance

Mrbirdog
If you like custom I have a set of boss bags for sale in rhe classifieds. I think boss and iron bags are the best you can get. Mine have hd conchos on them and only used for about 500 miles. Good luck in your search.

Old 12-11-2022 | 09:54 AM
Mrbirdog
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TedMan
If you like custom I have a set of boss bags for sale in rhe classifieds. I think boss and iron bags are the best you can get. Mine have hd conchos on them and only used for about 500 miles. Good luck in your search.
Sorry, what is RHE classifieds ?

Old 12-11-2022 | 10:22 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Sorry, what is RHE classifieds ?
typo.....he meant "the" probably types like I do, to fast and never pays attention lol.

Old 12-11-2022 | 10:26 AM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Is there something wrong with Viking?

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
I've seen several sets fall apart rather quickly, one guy I worked with swears by them, but he's also on his 3rd set. He would've been better off buying a more expensive set like Boss or actual HD bags, He had the big rear trunk that started to separate from the plastic liner, bubbling up. Viking bags had a reputation for poor quality, unless they've gone through some extensive remodeling, then I recommend staying away. You're always going to get the good and bad stories with just about everything. But I've seen to many that are just plain junk. JMO

Ah the dreaded "stay away from Viking Bags" opinion.

OP - do your research is all I can say, Name brand doesnt always mean best, these high end bags you will still have to fit onto your bike. as far as Viking............... I have never had an issue & I have had many customers buy them & have me Install them (I am not a Viking Rep - just a customer that has had good experiences) - all of which are still fully intact and performing very well. No issues as previously stated & Ive done waaaay more than several sets

I personally have the Viking tour trunk on my heritage - I even drilled it to add the HD studs to mimic the OEM Trunk (not sure how many studs but alot) - Been on my Bike for years, I do a lot of touring and this trunk is Awesome, Its so Good I just purchased one as an Xmas gift as the recipient has remarked on my tour trunk many times - no bubbling, leaks or delamination issues & thats with me literally drilling god knows how many holes in it to apply the chrome studs.

Keep this in mind - no matter what after market Bags you get - you will need to install them, if you JB weld them, drill them wrong or............... after install notice a defect - you own them!!!!!! and this is the main problem I see with aftermarket saddlebags, tour trunks, etc.... most screw up their initial install & want the Manufacturer to take responsibility, take your time - measure, measure measure. Oh BTW - food for thought, how long do you plan on keeping the bike? are you going to tour, overnight trips, etc.. - sometimes the realistic usage of what you will need - will dictate how much you really need to spend to get the result you want. why put on $1500+ saddlebags that will only be used a couple times then you trade in or sell it? any way good luck on the search & I hope you find what works for you.

The following users liked this post:
eagleeyeice (12-12-2022)
Old 12-11-2022 | 10:26 AM
Mrbirdog
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
typo.....he meant "the" probably types like I do, to fast and never pays attention lol.
I traded messages with iron bags. They told me they need to get a new Fatboy in the shop so they could figure out attachment system for it ..then I will probably order.

Peggers (01-17-2023)
Old 12-11-2022 | 10:28 AM
Mrbirdog
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LXT

OP - do your research is all I can say, Name brand doesnt always mean best, these high end bags you will still have to fit onto your bike. as far as Viking............... I have never had an issue & I have had many customers buy them & have me Install them (I am not a Viking Rep - just a customer that has had good experiences) - all of which are still fully intact and performing very well. No issues as previously stated & Ive done waaaay more than several sets

I personally have the Viking tour trunk on my heritage - I even drilled it to add the HD studs to mimic the OEM Trunk (not sure how many studs but alot) - Been on my Bike for years, I do a lot of touring and this trunk is Awesome, Its so Good I just purchased one as an Xmas gift as the recipient has remarked on my tour trunk many times - no bubbling, leaks or delamination issues & thats with me literally drilling god knows how many holes in it to apply the chrome studs.

Keep this in mind - no matter what after market Bags you get - you will need to install them, if you JB weld them, drill them wrong or............... after install notice a defect - you own them!!!!!! and this is the main problem I see with aftermarket saddlebags, tour trunks, etc.... most screw up their initial install & want the Manufacturer to take responsibility, take your time - measure, measure measure. Oh BTW - food for thought, how long do you plan on keeping the bike? are you going to tour, overnight trips, etc.. - sometimes the realistic usage of what you will need - will dictate how much you really need to spend to get the result you want. why put on $1500+ saddlebags that will only be used a couple times then you trade in or sell it? any way good luck on the search & I hope you find what works for you.
thanks for your reply and happy holidays

LXT (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022 | 10:31 AM
LXT
Road Master

Mrbirdog,

Not sure where you are located, but take a look at Lutz leather saddlebags - Don does great work & his bags are every bit as good as the ones mentioned here & at a far better price!!!!

Old 12-11-2022 | 10:54 AM
Mrbirdog
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LXT
Mrbirdog,

Not sure where you are located, but take a look at Lutz leather saddlebags - Don does great work & his bags are every bit as good as the ones mentioned here & at a far better price!!!!
I’m in Indiana and thanks. I will check it out.

Old 12-11-2022 | 11:13 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LXT

Like I mentioned, you're going to see the good with the bad reviews. But my personal opinion is not only have the Viking bags received a bad rep, but they're also ugly as........< add your own expletive here. Why put cheap trashy bags on a beautiful motorcycle. Sorry to sound like a dick, I just think they look awful.

Quick Reply: late model Fatboy leather saddlebags