Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pogo Seat On A Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,885 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by duffy8540
I would have to come up with some brown leather saddlebags though. They would HAVE to match.
I bugged Google for days searching for a bike with a tan seat and black bags. Then, I remembered my ride in a previous life...

Of course, the bike was all black, but I liked the way it looked.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:03 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

I used the Corbin-Gentry leather 'police' reproduction seat.
V-Twin Mfg Corbin-Gentry police seat # VT 47-0246

I used some thick washers on the rear and a nylon spacer at the front, but it was maybe 1/2" thick...
Here's the best pics I have.

good luck,

T.

The following users liked this post:
Tcrafty (10-06-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

A seat came in the mail today!

I had ordered THIS ONE from J&P on the 5th of this month but the order never passed the "Processing" phase. J&P has always been pretty responsive on orders and I usually receive them in a few days. I chalked this one up to the supply chain and checked out what Dennis Kirk had for seats. Found THIS ONE in stock, and it was about half the price of the Corbin-Gentry seat from J&P. I had looked at it before ordering the other seat but wasn't sure if it would fit the T-bar any better than the other one. But, I figured I'd order it while I was waiting. The Dennis Kirk seat showed up while the J&P one still shows "Processing".

The Indian seat is on the left. The new DK seat is on the right. I liked this one because it had the conchos that would match the ones on my bags. I'll likely trim the tassels though.

The DK seat is MUCH higher quality than the Indian one! EVERYTHING is done better. The seat pan, the stitching; the padding, the leather, and the way it's fitted to the pan are all higher quality. Even at a steep discount, I'd still go for one available here instead of the Indian one.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:32 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Default Installing the new seat

First, I checked that the seat would fit the T-bar. It fit perfectly! So then I could start installing the pogo mount. I removed the OEM seat and set it aside.

The one thing I did find out was to make sure those three bolts at the pogo mount are tightened to give the pogo the right angle so that the pin will go in easily. If you have to fuss with it too much to get the pin started, it won't get any easier with a seat in the way. There are enough other things to align while installing the seat that you don't want to have to fight with the pin for the pogo mount. Make sure it's secure and aligned before proceeding.

Once that was adjusted properly, I removed the pogo (it unscrews) and put the plastic cover back over the battery tray. Then screwed the pogo back onto the mount. You can see I used threaded rod for the front mount and plan on cutting them off to length and putting acorn nuts on them. Because I cut the front tab off of the battery mount so it would fit, I figured I'd drill holes and let the acorn nuts hold the front of the plastic cover. I didn't need to do this since the pogo goes through the cover and the hole is just large enough that the plastic cover is captured between the pogo and the mount.

I fitted the T-bar and then fastened the seat to it. If you have the counter space, you can attach the seat to the T-bar and then install the T-bar to the front mount. I shimmed the rear bolts to give a little clearance between the T-bar and the seat pan but when I tried to put the pin in the pogo, it hit the ribs of the seat pan. I loosened the front carriage bolt enough so I could fit the pin in place and then tightened the nut on the front mount of the seat.

Old 10-13-2022, 03:39 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

All in all, I think it gives the bike the exact look I was going for. I'm well pleased with it.

There are a couple of spots where I'll tweak the Crossbones cover to help it conform to the fender and help protect the wiring a bit more. But overall, it'll do just fine for me. The seat matches my bags pretty well and the best part is the passenger pillion still slides right on and fastens down just like it was designed. Very little work to get it ready for wifee to go for a ride!

The passenger seat and backrest all fit just as they were designed!

The following 2 users liked this post by Tcrafty:
duffy8540 (10-13-2022), s-glide76 (05-02-2023)
Old 10-13-2022, 03:46 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

So now, the beauty pix!

Hope you like 'em!

The following 4 users liked this post by Tcrafty:
Big Mule (10-13-2022), JCDLXSEIA (10-13-2022), s-glide76 (05-02-2023), Zedbra (10-14-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Default The ride report:

The seat does put you up higher than the OEM seat, just like any other police-style solo seat will do. I wondered how much the little spring inside the pogo would help and was pleasantly surprised that it does make a difference, especially on those small ripples you find in the middle of the lane or those exceptionally thick paint stripes through town. I had to adjust the mirrors for the different ride height but didn't feel the need to adjust the bars due to discomfort.

I'm thinking of riding over to Biketoberfest on Saturday so we'll see how the two-hour ride does on my arms and butt!

Old 10-13-2022, 04:30 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

So looking at the 'frame cover', I'm not sure that the Crossbones version was the 'best' selection.

Here's a few part numbers that you might consider that may give it a
more finished look... (like no spring perches and molded to the fender)

These are HD part numbers....

Lower Frame Cover : 49800-10

ECM (upper frame) Cover
--------------------------
#49801-10 : FXST & FLSTSB
#49802-10 : FLST/C/N
#49803-10 : FLSTF/FB
#69200097 : FXS / FLS

hope this helps,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 10-13-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:46 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by WKNDS
So looking at the 'frame cover', I'm not sure that the Crossbones version was the 'best' selection.

Here's a few part numbers that you might consider that may give it a
more finished look... (like no spring perches and molded to the fender)

These are HD part numbers....

Lower Frame Cover : 49800-10

ECM (upper frame) Cover
--------------------------
#49801-10 : FXST & FLSTSB
#49802-10 : FLST/C/N
#49803-10 : FLSTF/FB
#69200097 : FXS / FLS

hope this helps,

T.
Those part numbers definitely help. Looking at the HD website, they are no longer available. Maybe ebay?

Old 10-13-2022, 06:14 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Those part numbers definitely help. Looking at the HD website, they are no longer available. Maybe ebay?
Perhaps - sorry I can't help with discontinued part numbers...
Those numbers that I listed were valid when I did my frame
covers back in 2013....

hth,

T.

Quick Reply: Pogo Seat On A Softail