Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic Security ... What to do ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 PM
rvisdew
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Classic Security ... What to do ...

I know, I know ... another old topic, but ....

As a new rider, I was looking to add some additional security to my bike ... The Harley security is nice, but no audible alarm ... wondering about a disc lock, a chain, or something else (good insurance or a gun?) ... What gives you peace of mind?

Also, anything to do with the leather bags? Guess you'd leave them unlocked to keep someone from ripping them or when overnight take them in the room with you .... ???

Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior
Default RE: Heritage Classic Security ... What to do ...

[ul][*] big @ss thick cable with bullet proof lock for locking more than one bike together or going through your front wheel and then your frame.[*] good quality disc lock for the rear wheel.[*] a lot of luck.
[/ul]

Old 11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
SHEP
Tourer

I only use the ignition and fork locks on my Heritage Softail Classic. No other security. Don't even have an alarm system. That is what I have insurance for.
I have traveled all accross the country and have left my bike outside my motel room with only the two locks mentioned above. Never had a problem, although I may just be lucky.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 PM
wilcox
Advanced

If I were you I'd get the audible alarm ($85). Just installed mine, just plug it in, the difficulty is reaching up under the rear fender to install it (Need to remove the splash guard) . The reason I got it was someone slashed my front tire while I was at dinner one night. The security system won't stop vandalism, but the alarm might scare them away before something or someone gets hurt. Lucky for me the tire wasn't cut through deep enough to cause a blowout. Didn't discover the slash untill I brought my tires in to be changed to whitewalls. The old tires only had 1,000 miles on them, if I didn't put the whitewalls on, I might have driven on it until it blew. With the sensitivity of the security system, I'm thinking the alarm might have gone off before they had a chance to cut the tire.

As for the Bags, I installed mine on Easy Brackets, unlock the bags and bring them in, plus I don't have to ride around with them on If I don't need them,less wear and tear. If someone messes with them now, the alrm will sound before they get the first bag open.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:25 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: wilcox

If I were you I'd get the audible alarm ($85). Just installed mine, just plug it in, the difficulty is reaching up under the rear fender to install it (Need to remove the splash guard) . The reason I got it was someone slashed my front tire while I was at dinner one night. The security system won't stop vandalism, but the alarm might scare them away before something or someone gets hurt. Lucky for me the tire wasn't cut through deep enough to cause a blowout. Didn't discover the slash untill I brought my tires in to be changed to whitewalls. The old tires only had 1,000 miles on them, if I didn't put the whitewalls on, I might have driven on it until it blew. With the sensitivity of the security system, I'm thinking the alarm might have gone off before they had a chance to cut the tire.

As for the Bags, I installed mine on Easy Brackets, unlock the bags and bring them in, plus I don't have to ride around with them on If I don't need them,less wear and tear. If someone messes with them now, the alrm will sound before they get the first bag open.
did you need to take off the rear wheel?>

Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 AM
SMenasco
Road Master

I have been across the country with my Heritage and used the factory security and locked the forks. I think that most of this stuff just keeps basically honest or slightly dishonest people honest. If someone really wants it, they'll get it. As far as the bags are concerned, I found a set of spin-on locks that work great, from www.durasafelocks.com. Easy to install, but said again, if they really want in, they'll cut the lid off. I quit worrying about it.

Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
mutha
Road Captain

99% of the time nobody will mess with another persons bike..............people leave leathers and helmets hanging on their bikes all the time and nobody touches them..........all i can say is if you get a disc lock make sure you get the reminder for it and hang it on your throttle. otherwise you are in for some problems, seen way to many people forget their disc locks.
imo....factory locks are plenty if they want it they will get it

Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM
jwiz
Intermediate

i would buy good comprehensive insurance from a reptubale insurance dealer, because if you have the loudest alarm system in the world, and are waken at 2am with someone stealing your bike, if you run out to try and protect your bike, you may scare them away or they most likely are prepared to kill you. so i would lock it as much as possible, and pray your insurance company is easy to deal with.
as for the saddle bags i have a quick release system on my bags called barebacks. i got it at www.jpcycles.com i can remove my bag in a second and carry it into the motel room with me.

Old 11-16-2005, 03:56 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rvisdew

I know, I know ... another old topic, but ....

As a new rider, I was looking to add some additional security to my bike ... The Harley security is nice, but no audible alarm ... wondering about a disc lock, a chain, or something else (good insurance or a gun?) ... What gives you peace of mind?

Also, anything to do with the leather bags? Guess you'd leave them unlocked to keep someone from ripping them or when overnight take them in the room with you .... ???

I got the HD factory siren II and the remote pager. The siren isn't really loud, but if I am within 1/2 mile of the bike, the remote pager goes nuts if someone messes with anything. I think I paid about $150 for the combo. If I am in a risky area, I use the alarm, pager, fork lock and a simple padlock through a hole in the brake disc. It'll keep someone from messing with the bike and that's all I care about. If a professional thief decides he wants it, then I have insurance.

Old 11-16-2005, 11:48 PM
wilcox
Advanced

I don't think you have to remove the rear wheel. I had already taken off the rear wheel to get whitewalls and install chrome rear fork. I think you can just remove the splash guard. dont need much room. It just plugs in

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic Security ... What to do ...