Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out the Door Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Moondogger
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Out the Door Price

Hello,

I wanted to get some input on OTD prices for '08 Softail Deluxes. Here in SoCal I've been seeing them at around $21K+. How much room do I have to negotiate on these prices? Has anyone purchased an '08 yet? If I offer $18K will I be laughed out of the dealership?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Alex

Old 08-16-2007, 05:19 AM
Kanebanger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Out the Door Price

Most stealers probably won't get rid of an 08 for 18k if they're asking 21k, but I would say that it's a good starting place for negotiations, they should be willing to deal a little bit on the bike. But remember if you really want the bike don't let a few hundred dollars stop you, I didn't and I have no regrets about my purchase.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you are doing well if you get a dealer to stick to website posted MSRP, 10% off of dealer-installed accessories, and maybe a free first-service. Add the posted freight charge, then the dealers want a variable amount for setup, registration transfer/admin fee, and then your local tax.

Lots of dealers like to dress-up their in-coming stock bikes and are able to justify their departure from MSRP. All it takes is $20 in stainless steel fasteners to have some dealers jack their prices $1k above MSRP. I went through this.

I ended up with a good dealer who sold at MSRP, website revealed freight, and reasonable fees, and expected tax. I took advantage of the 10% dicount on dealer-installed accessories that was part of the offer.

It is NOT like buying a car where there is all sort of margin to play with. Like Lanebanger said, if you can save a couple of hundred bucks, consider yourself making a good deal.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:45 AM
crock921
Road Captain

what i have heard from pretty much any dealer is that there is room on 07s but it is straight up MSRP on 08s. Like others have said, you may be able to talk them down a tad, but the intangibles have more room to play (dealer credits, warranties, discounts on parts/service)

Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our dealer has an '08 Deluxe in White Gold Pearl/Pewter Pearl and it's priced at $18,990. My '08 Softail Custom in Vivid Black was priced at $17,445. I traded in my Deuce and got the Custom at cost. The salesman I used was willing to make me a good deal because 3 months ago I bought my wife a Sporster from him, and on the same day my sister got Sportster from him also. My dad also bought an '08 Ultra from him a couple weeks ago. So in 3 months, my family bought 4 bikes from him. The Fatboy my dad traded in on the Ultra sold in less than a day. So he made some money off that deal. And he knows he can do the same with the Deuce I traded in as soon as they put it on the floor. Getting a low price has a lot to do with your location and your relationship with the dealer. Obviously bikes are much cheaper here in South Carolina than they are in California. My family goes to the dealership quite a bit and they all know us by name, so that makes workin' a deal easier because they know they will continue to get our business.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Here in Southern California, things are different. There are a lot of dealers, butmost willtell you straight upthat 'it isn't like buying a car".I said BULL$HIT - I negotiated for my 'Vettes (they triedto pull thesame crap), my Ranger bass boat, my motorhome - EVERYTHING is negotiable. However, not EVERYONE will negotiate. It may take some time and miles to find theright dealer... but it may be worth it to you. Here's my story:

SKIP FORDYCE
A friend has an '04 and was supposed to have the hook up to get me $4-5k off the bike of my choice... that's what got the wife on board in the first place. I was sceptical, but figured if it came through it would be awesome. I did my homework, had all the numbers (MSRP, actual costs, option costs and markup, sample prices from some recent purchases, etc.), and went with my buddy to the dealer we were supposed to see.We told the contact the situation, he set us up with 'their very best salesperson' and she 'would take great care of us'. I told her I wasn't going to go round and round or back and forth, told her what I was looking for, hit her with the numbers (she was stunned and was trying hard to find out where I got my information), and waited. She came back and told me she located a dealer with my first choice (Jake and Elwood Blue Sunglo '07 Fat Boy) and was going to work up the numbers... long story short, three hours later after watching her walk back and forth more times than I could count, she came up and said I could have it for $21,900! This for a box-stock bike, which is the only way I was going to buy one. The dealers are infamous for adding a bunch of chrome accessories, then jacking the price up based on retail value (or more!), not costs... car dealerships do this as well as the markup on this stuff is huge and adds considerable profit to their bottom line.

OK - so three hours into it and I'm being quoted $21.9kfor a nearly-obsolete bike ('08's were due out in about 6 weeks at that time) that had an MSRP of $17,900!!! Can you say HELL$ NO!!! I told my buddy's contact (one of the managers there) that it wasn't such a deal and thanks for nothing, and we left as quickly as we could. Oh yeah - in spite of telling her at least twice that I needed the best price straight up and wasn't going to haggle, when I rejected her price she started asking what number I had in mind and saying she might be able to do better. I nearly went off but didn't.

QUAID
The next day my buddy and I went down toTemecula, where I'd been told the best prices could be found. I walked in and met the sales manager, explained the situation to him briefly, said I was looking for their best price (no back and forth), and he gave me a price that was slightly lower than the price I got after three hours at Skip Fordyce! Nice, but nowhere near where I needed to be and still WAYYYYY above MSRP.

THE REST
Sotwo days later was Saturday and I had a full day to travel and find a deal. I called most of the dealers within 100 miles or so, found a couple that had bikes in stock, and set out to find my bike. We went to Laidlaw's (no Fat Boys left), Corona (nothing in stock, pricing same as Skip Fordyce), Fullerton (same story), and finally stopped at Pomona Valley.They had a couple on the floor (sticker price was about $2000 less than those I'd seen at the previous dealers!!!) so it looked promising. I didn't see any of the colors I was looking for, so when I was approached by John I explained the situation. He told me they had a Gold Pearl (second or third choice on the list) back in the warehouse, so I asked to see it. It was just what I was looking for, except for not being my first color choice. I told him the whole story on the way back to the showroom and told him I had a number the wife needed to hit and that we could seal the deal if they hit that number.

I gave him my number, ou

Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
crock921
Road Captain

where did you find dealer cost? I thik I am getting a good price on my bike, but i would be interested to know what cost is.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything under MSRP and no set up or delvery fees is a good deal IMO.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

Dealers in Washington mark-up 1-3K on bikes depending on dealership location. You can purchase for MSRP, but probably not until the "off season". If I'm paying 1K over MSRP for a bike, I look for concessions on parts, motorclothes, and service. Ask the dealer for 20% off all the goodies you want to install on the bike and have them install it for free before you take delivery. That way dealergets full comission but doesn't make as much on motorclothes and parts.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I checked everywhere in So Calwhen I bought in 03.The best price I found was at Hutchins in Yucca Valley.Victorville HD came close to their price,but didn't have the bike I was looking for.I'd have to wait for it to get there.Of course as with everything -cash in hand or prearrainge your own financing will help you get the best deal.Skip Fordyce and bothQuaid stores were the highest priced that I checked.The prices here in So Cal seem to be quite a bit higher than I see some of these guys buying forin other states

Quick Reply: Out the Door Price