Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions on Saddlebags??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Kentp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: suggestions on Saddlebags??

I emailed iron bags and they said their bags could not be used with detachable hardware. Anyone using ironbags with detachable hardware?

Old 08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
gconklin
Road Master

not here. But if you have to bail on ironbags, I suggest you look into Just Leather (linked above).

Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

LeathrneckJims bags are made by Leatherworks. He sells them under his name, and "SAYS" he makes them, but I checked with Leatherworks, and according to them, they are aware of it, and don't have a problem with it, He must sell a lot of bags..

Leatherneck Jim misleades customers on his website. I would never do bussiness with someone that has to decieve you as to where product comes from.

(Edit) I see he has changed his website. When I bought Leatherworks bags last year, his site said.that his company manufactured the products. Now says simply that they are American made Still they ARE leatherworks bags.
ORIGINAL: itileman

I went with www.leatherneckjim.com
Bags are being made now, top quality leather and great people to deal with. Cost is reasonable, about half the cost of HD's bags. Also having a matching tool bag made.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have leatherworks bags and they are working great!
I'd buy them again. Great customer service and truly waterproof.

It's very odd that Just Leather has mimicked their bags being so close geographically to leatherworks. The buffalo nickel thing, pull through straps and all...
I have heard many good things about Just Leather, so I am sure they are great quality.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 PM
gconklin
Road Master

how do we know Just Leather copied them and not the other way around?
don't make me come up there and rough you up, bro!
jk... well, maybe.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gconklin

how do we know Just Leather copied them and not the other way around?
don't make me come up there and rough you up, bro!
jk... well, maybe.
True... You are probably right! I tried to go to Just Leather, but they wanted me to try on a gimp suit and wear a ball gag. I had to run away back to leatherworks

Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 PM
gconklin
Road Master

True... You are probably right! I tried to go to Just Leather, but they wanted me to try on a gimp suit and wear a ball gag. I had to run away back to leatherworks
Oh, you're not into that? I knew I shouldn't have believed all those people saying those things about you.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kentp

I emailed iron bags and they said their bags could not be used with detachable hardware. Anyone using ironbags with detachable hardware?
... I gave up on detachables... With my bags, seeing the level of hardware that holds these bags on, I could throw my entire toolbox into the bags and ride off in confidence, whereas with any detachable, I'd be pretty concerned about the two little mounting points sheering off or something to the like. My bags mount in three points on the struts and also have a mount between the bags that goes under the rear fender.. Strong design is an understatement.. Over-Engineered would be more fitting.. There isn't some 15 lb limit spec on these bags. So I figured, well, I've got strength to haul lots of stuff, and heavy stuff, cavernous capacity even in comparison to heritage or road-king bags, and a bag that I thought was good-looking enough to just LEAVE on the bike, rather than quick removal for looks.. For washing, I grab a 9/16" and 1/2" socket and wrench, and the bags are off in about a minute. Just bolts and washers... Nothing to it.

And, I felt good about doing business with a small one-man operation where you can actually talk to the very guy that's making your bags... That's just plain Cool!

Ok, I'll send Max the invoice for the endorsement now. hehehehe (KIDDING.. I've received nothing for praising his bags)... did get some goodies with the bags though, leather grease and black kiwi and some nice instructions for caring for them.. nice touch. There's a difference in $400 and $900 bags, for sure. Not saying other bags aren't good.. I actually really considered the leatherworks bags, but the shape, look and construction of the Ironbags made me just save up cash a little longer. Glad I did, and I'd do it again. Love 'em.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 08-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Softail in 2007
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Kentp

Wow, that is news to me, I even received the extra hardware to make them detachable, Call Donna at ironbags.

Quick Reply: suggestions on Saddlebags??