Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 10:35 AM
NDakota
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heritage Softail Accessories

Hi All! I am considering buying a 1998 Heritage Softail and I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with on accessories of this bike.

First of all, what are these 2 gauges? One of those (the front one) is broken so I'll have to replace it, but I don't even know what that is for:

Also, is it possible to change the speedo to an original one? the one in this bike is not the original, it is a digital one and it is absolutely rubbish, I'd like to have the classic white speedo instead of this one, but I think I understand that you can't change the speedo without changing the mileage, cause the mileage is not saved anywhere in older HD models?

I still have to decide if this is worth buying or if I need to keep looking, I'll have to sell my Sportster XL883C first to get money to invest in this beauty.

Old 06-26-2022, 10:45 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

The one on the left of your pic is just an oil tank dip stick with a thermometer in the cap... A quick check of oil temperature... if it still works. Those have the reputation of failing... often... just an FYI, that's also how you check your oil level... make sure to check it when warm... or some oil my be in the sump, rather than the tank..

The one to the right in your pic is an oil pressure gauge....

The following users liked this post:
NDakota (06-26-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 06:10 AM
NDakota
6th Gear

Thanks!

What about the speedo, is it worth / ok / manageable to change it to a classic one? Right now it is a digital one, which I don't like that much tbh...

Old 06-27-2022, 06:23 AM
HeritageBrads
Road Master
Received 744 Likes on 315 Posts

Bike looks nice, but damn I can see why you don't like that speedo

Old 06-27-2022, 06:39 AM
NDakota
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HeritageBrads
Bike looks nice, but damn I can see why you don't like that speedo
Exactly! Bike is this one:

It's not pristine, of course, but it's a 1998 model and has only 21K miles, running nicely. it has some age-related minors, but overall I'd say it's not bad. I really hope I manage to sell my Sportster before this bike gets taken!

Do you think changing the speedo is something I can do?

Last edited by NDakota; 06-27-2022 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:48 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Agree w/ gauges (oil temp(rear) & oil pressure (front), but the speedo should be swappable w/ OEM, if you so wish. Anything's possible.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:49 AM
NDakota
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Agree w/ gauges (oil temp(rear) & oil pressure (front), but the speedo should be swappable w/ OEM, if you so wish. Anything's possible.
What about the mileage? will it stay the same? if I buy a used one for example, can I transfer the mileage into the used one?

Old 06-27-2022, 08:42 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,276 Likes on 4,444 Posts

Originally Posted by NDakota
What about the mileage? will it stay the same? if I buy a used one for example, can I transfer the mileage into the used one?
Your console will come off with one bolt and several wires... the speedo is pretty easy to remove/replace... the speedometers were interchangeable... just remove/unplug old one and plug-in/install new one.......

The early bikes, like your EVO with a carb, were pretty simple and had an ICM (ignition control module).. the mileage was stored in the speedo... even the early ECMs (electronic control module) for EFI bikes, didn't contain the mileage....

Your EVO console is easily removed. You remove the one acorn nut (1/2" socket on OEM), and it will pull up and be able to lay on it's side... put something on the tank to avoid scratches...

There is usually a plastic ring with like three clips to release the speedo from the console. The online parts finder shows two electrical connectors and the odometer reset button, but that speedo part number on eBay shows only one electrical connector... Get a look at yours to make sure you get the right speedo if buying used...

If you get a used factory speedo (part #67027-96), you will need to find one with similar mileage.... As far as I know, there is no way to change the mileage. I believe the newest version is #67027-96C and it's obsolete, no longer offered by HD... so you'll need to buy a used one with close mileage or search for new aftermarket alternatives..

I changed the Speedometer on a 2001 Springer I bought. I bought the Springer about 4 years ago and it only had 9.8K miles... The card on the speedo face was badly faded, and I didn't want to pry open the speedo to change the card face.... I searched for awhile, but found one with like 500 miles more than I had on the bike. I bought the speedo and watched/planned my mileage carefully... When the bike had exactly 2 miles less than the odometer of the speedo, I changed them out.. I could have putted around the neighborhood to get the mileage even closer, but aI figured within 2 miles was close enough...

Good luck and report back how you replace the speedo...

Enjoy the new bike...!!

Last edited by hattitude; 06-27-2022 at 08:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
eighteight (06-27-2022), NDakota (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:03 AM
NDakota
6th Gear

That's amazingly detailed, thank you!

I'll post back if I'll end buying the bike and, if so, as soon as I'll replace the speedo Hopefully someone will buy my 883 soon enough, fingers crossed!

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 AM
HeritageBrads
Road Master
Received 744 Likes on 315 Posts

That front wheel ! argghh my eyes ! lol

The bike does look sweet though. A few things changed would be the norm anyway. hope you get it.

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail Accessories