Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FLS won't turn on any electric (run & accessories)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022 | 03:16 AM
Sauraus
|
Advanced
Exclamation 2013 FLS won't turn on any electric (run & accessories)

Hi there,

Got a bit of a conundrum with my wife's 2013 FLS, turning the ignition switch has no effect.

Some background, we had parked her bike for about 3 weeks and not touched it as we were out traveling and when we came back I had to move the bike about 220 yards at which point the bike came to life immediately with no issues whatsoever, I parked the bike hooked up the battery tender and left it overnight.

The next day we wanted to go for a ride and when my wife turned the ignition switch nothing happened, the only thing that came on was the hazard lights; the headlight, the speedo, the dash lights, and the fuel pump were all dead. At first, we thought maybe its the fob battery so we swapped that but that didn't change anything, the thing that struck me as odd was the fact the hazard lights would not turn off after a while, they just kept flashing. So I pulled the main fuse thinking maybe a power cycle of the BCM & ECU will help here, after inserting the main fuse back the hazard lights don't even come on anymore, the only electrical thing working right now on the bike is the 'trip' button on the LH control, it will make the mileage and time show up on the speedo.

What have I checked so far:
1) The battery voltage is good
2) Resistance (200/800 Ohm) of the ignition switch is good

Where do I go from here? Wire-harness? BCM connector? BCM itself?

Old 06-03-2022 | 08:15 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sauraus
Hi there,

Got a bit of a conundrum with my wife's 2013 FLS, turning the ignition switch has no effect.

Some background, we had parked her bike for about 3 weeks and not touched it as we were out traveling and when we came back I had to move the bike about 220 yards at which point the bike came to life immediately with no issues whatsoever, I parked the bike hooked up the battery tender and left it overnight.

The next day we wanted to go for a ride and when my wife turned the ignition switch nothing happened, the only thing that came on was the hazard lights; the headlight, the speedo, the dash lights, and the fuel pump were all dead. At first, we thought maybe its the fob battery so we swapped that but that didn't change anything, the thing that struck me as odd was the fact the hazard lights would not turn off after a while, they just kept flashing. So I pulled the main fuse thinking maybe a power cycle of the BCM & ECU will help here, after inserting the main fuse back the hazard lights don't even come on anymore, the only electrical thing working right now on the bike is the 'trip' button on the LH control, it will make the mileage and time show up on the speedo.

What have I checked so far:
1) The battery voltage is good
2) Resistance (200/800 Ohm) of the ignition switch is good

Where do I go from here? Wire-harness? BCM connector? BCM itself?

With all electrical issues, first check the battery... not just voltage, but do a load test..

Second, check all battery connections, paying special attention to the grounds... On a softail, be sure to check the ground from the battery to where it bolts onto the frame, at the front of the seat.. that's known to work loose and cause a bunch of electrical gremlins.

Once you know you have a good battery, and all the power connections are clean & tight, if the problem persists, see if you can pull any codes...

Let us know what you find...

The following users liked this post:
jkinner (06-03-2022)
Old 09-26-2023 | 01:04 AM
Sauraus
|
Advanced

Just to close out this thread, it was the bloody speedometer that was the problem (thank you CANBus), swapped out the speedo and bob‘s your uncle everything is working just fine.

Looks like water got into the speedo from the top and that caused a short which resulted in Gremlins taking over the electrics.

The following 3 users liked this post by Sauraus:
eighteight (09-26-2023), hattitude (09-26-2023), Kenomni (10-02-2023)