Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice On going without Front Fender on Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Advice On going without Front Fender on Heritage?

That sucks man, get your old shitty fender put on for the trip.
It'l work for that I'm sure. Maybe not though.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone at work back into my Heritage last summer and smashed the front fender. Same thing your dealer told you, it took a month to get a new fender and when it arrived it was a Deluxe fender so had to send it back and wait another month for the right fender. I refused to waste the summer not riding so I rode the entire time with no front fender and had no problems. I usually ride to work 3 or 4 days a week, 40 miles round trip. I got cought in rain a few times, no problem. I ride with a full face helmet so never had a problem with stuff hitting me, matter of fact it never even occured to me before reading this thread. One thing you will notice immediatly is that the front end is a lot lighter and handles a lot easier. I was surprised how much difference the fender being removed made. Plus, I think it looks cool- like the old dirt track racers.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if they will let you have the old fender, you might be able to hammer it out enough to work OK for your trip.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
NoVaThunder
Tourer

Been riding without my fender for a while now cause I couldn't find one I like on the bike with the new fat tire. So I guess I choose to ride without it "as a matter of course". I haven't noticed all the rocks and crap others here speak of. I hear them hitting the bottom of the bike as I go through the loose stuff also, but not my face. Maybe I just can't tell the difference from bugs to rocks. My wife says I'm not very sensitive. I have notice the moisture on the road gets picked up tossed forward and blown back into my face. I said something about this on another thread and one of the chopper guys said tying a bandana between the forks is the cheap fix for the water. Seems like it would work since the water is spun forward by the tire and blows back. Also, as said before, your windshield would probably cach most of that. Whatever; I say if it's between riding with no fender or not riding I would ride. Take a shorter ride and see what ya think.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
bigtomhk
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: campdreamer47

. The shop is waiting for the fender to come from the factory and they told me that this usually takes six weeks or so.
That's painted by factory as well right?

Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 516 Likes on 359 Posts

Will this work?
I have a fender thats prob CCI. It's made for FXWG forks when using a 16" wheel. I know he fender bosses on WG forks are different than FL forks. Will your idea about SLAMMING that fen work with this one?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:23 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser

I rode my 71 FLH without a fender for almost a year because I didn't have the money to buy a new one back then. I never noticed a big difference.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 AM
FXST
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a aftermarket Fatboy or Heritage guard, what ever is the cheapest for the trip then sell it off again on ebay...

Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will thank you all for the advice and good karma. I had the dealer put my old beat up fender from the accident back on today and I am on the road. I also got the Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs and part of my stage one done. What I mean by part of my stage one is they did not have the jets for the carb. Anyway I am on the road with a fender that is not pretty to look at but it will do and I have a new exhaust. Now for the driving after the accident part. Will I was just about as nervous as a school girl at a biker party and I thought every damm vehical on the road was really going to just cross over from their side of the road to kill me.[:@] All jokes aside I was very nervous...more so then when I first got in the saddle of my harley 4 years ago after being out of biking for 25 years. I hope this gets better??? Any advice?? By the way the Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs are loud to say the least but I like it so far. It sure makes that Harley motor sound like a power house of grunt. Thank everyone who posted your thoughts and ride safe.