Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2022 | 12:56 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

When you refill and measure fill from the top of the fork tube, do you pump the dampers during the process to fill them with fluid? My shop manual is silent on it. TY.

Old 05-26-2022 | 02:19 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tngarren
When you refill and measure fill from the top of the fork tube, do you pump the dampers during the process to fill them with fluid? My shop manual is silent on it. TY.

I fill them, pump the dampers slowly to release all the air pockets, then check that the level is correct... I usually have to add just a tad more after pumping....

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
MarlinSpike (05-26-2022), tngarren (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022 | 02:39 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by hattitude
I fill them, pump the dampers slowly to release all the air pockets, then check that the level is correct... I usually have to add just a tad more after pumping....
Thank you. Same here. Good to know I did not err.

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (05-26-2022)
Old 05-27-2022 | 06:06 PM
shaggieshapiro
Road Master

I use Lucas, but as far as weight it's a personal preference. You have 5, 10, 15 or 20 weight and it's up to you to decide what kind of ride you want. I mix an equal amount of 10 and 15 weight

Rogue Brit (05-27-2022)
Old 05-29-2022 | 07:26 AM
y22c
Road Master

If you are satisfied with your front end performance, stick with the same weight fork oil. If you want to change performance, you can change weights, or even mix weights, to get a performance you like. Just remember, the thicker the oil, the less compliant (stiff) and thinner the oil the more compliant (bouncy) your front end will perform.

Another thing to note, fork oils get thinner, when they heat up. Most have a basic spec and then a 100°C spec. Harley Type E is 20W, but drops to 7.95W @ 100°C. If you are a hard rider, who frequently "works" his suspension hard, you may want to start with a heavier weight fork oil..

I believe most HD bikes come OEM with their Type E fork oil (20W).

If you want a more compliant (bouncy) front end you could go with HD Type B fork oil (10W)...

If you are a canyon carver and want a stiffer front end (Ha, I said stiffer front end) you could go with the Screamin' Eagle Type heavy fork oil. It is also 20W, but fades (gets thinner) less at high temp than Type E.

HD also used to make a very heavy SE fork end oil called extra heavy, which is like 60W... I would guess for racing only, probably unsuitable for street use...

I use Bel-Ray High Performance Fork oil... They make it in 5W, 7W, 10W, 15W, 20W, and 30W. So you can pick a weight and give it try, or there are numerous weights for mixing...

The beauty of fork oil is that it's not that hard to change, and if you pick a weight that doesn't suit you, it's not too hard to change it to something more/less compliant....

Good luck with your decision...

PS- Here's a chart by Spectro Oil on fork oils. It shows the "thinning" of the oil at temp..

This is not a chart showing the thinning of fork oil at temperture

This is a chart showing the min and max viscosity of a particular grade of fork oil at the test temp of 100c (212F) in centistokes.

It says that a SAE Grade 5 fork oil must have a viscosity between 3.80 and 4.09 centistokes at 100C to be labeled an SAE 5 fork oil.

Anything below 3.08 does not qualify for a 5 weight (too thin) and anything above 4.09 is a 10 weight.

This is why company A's 5 weight fork oil can offer a different feel in the the forks than company B's fork oil, one can be blended to the low end of the range and the other to the high end...they are both 5 weight but could react differently in your application

MarlinSpike (05-29-2022)
Old 05-29-2022 | 09:10 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by y22c

This is not a chart showing the thinning of fork oil at temperture

This is a chart showing the min and max viscosity of a particular grade of fork oil at the test temp of 100c (212F) in centistokes.

It says that a SAE Grade 5 fork oil must have a viscosity between 3.80 and 4.09 centistokes at 100C to be labeled an SAE 5 fork oil.

Anything below 3.08 does not qualify for a 5 weight (too thin) and anything above 4.09 is a 10 weight.

This is why company A's 5 weight fork oil can offer a different feel in the the forks than company B's fork oil, one can be blended to the low end of the range and the other to the high end...they are both 5 weight but could react differently in your application
I knew that, but very good follow-up information...

That's why I put the word thinning in quotations.... but I can see I was clumsy in my wording and use of that chart...

I was unaware that was the test for fork oils to qualify for their various weight ratings, I thought it was just a standard for comparison..... so thanks for the education on that point...

Thank you for clarifying...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-29-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2022 | 09:19 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master

Centostrokes are out of most people's "normal" discussion wording. Normal talk with all the nerdies I worked with.
Some of the chemical engineers I worked with had centi's in the brain. But boy did some of them really know there stuff! I made a mistake about asking one about something to do with octane ratings of LL100 I used in the ATV's while we were doing some Boi-fuel testing for the Airforce......Whew, never thought he would stop talking...Still don't know the answer or even the question at that point.

"Centistokes is a decimal fraction of kinematic viscosity unit stokes. One centistoke is equal to 0.01 stokes"

hattitude (05-29-2022)
Old 05-30-2022 | 05:29 AM
y22c
Road Master

I knew that, but very good follow-up information...

That's why I put the word thinning in quotations.... but I can see I was clumsy in my wording and use of that chart...

I was unaware that was the test for fork oils to qualify for their various weight ratings, I thought it was just a standard for comparison..... so thanks for the education on that point...

Thank you for clarifying...
This is the min and max chart for all straight weight oils, including the oil grade after the "W" in multi-viscosity engine oils.

It is not the min and max chart for "W" rated oils

Last edited by y22c; 05-30-2022 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2022 | 08:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by y22c
This is the min and max chart for all straight weight oils, including the oil grade after the "W" in multi-viscosity engine oils.

It is not the min and max chart for "W" rated oils

OK.. now you guys are way over my head.... can't say I understand what that means...

Like I said, clumsy (inappropriate) use of that chart. I know now, that it doesn't show what I thought it did. I misunderstood it's meaning....

I shared it from a Spectro oil tech bulletin. Obviously misunderstood it, and shared it out of context from the bulletin (trying to be brief)

I THINK what I have learned here is that it shows the testing range needed, to receive a particular weight for a fork oil...

In any case, I'll just sit the rest of this discussion out in the back of the classroom shooting spit wads, and let the adults discuss fork oils...

That's something I have plenty of experience with......

Last edited by hattitude; 05-30-2022 at 08:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
Captscotty (06-04-2022), MarlinSpike (05-30-2022)
Old 06-04-2022 | 07:51 AM
Captscotty
Tourer
Veteran: Air Force

Hattitude this and your original post saved me lots of research and were spot on. Thanks much.

Also, looks like the Bel Ray is on the high side of the 100 degree range for a given ‘viscosity’

http://www.belray.com/wp-content/upl...-23Nov2021.pdf

Last edited by Captscotty; 06-04-2022 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added link
hattitude (06-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Fork Fluid