Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Disc Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007 | 12:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: Solid Disc Wheels

No problem unless the winds are howling fast enough to blow any bike around. thatis like saying you can get pregnanat form giving a BJ...

Old 08-17-2007 | 03:37 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

No problems at all. If you want them get some. If I had money to get some chrome I'd sell you mine at a good price.

Old 08-17-2007 | 03:56 PM
Dragonsoni
Advanced

I read somewhere that a spoke wheel at (X) speed would basically have the same effect as a solid surface.

I would also say you probably already have experience with windsince you have afairing and hard bags. I would think with your bike and it's weightyou wouldn't feel any difference at all.

Old 08-18-2007 | 07:47 AM
TexasFatboy
Tourer

I think it's all in the head....I've got 25K on my 04'FB and havent noticed a problem.

Old 08-18-2007 | 10:52 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

This is the biggest HD urban myth of them all in my opinion. I have had my 05 FatBoyin the Gorge on I-84 numerous timesin the NW winds howling. If you do not know this area, it is a mecca for wind boards on the Columbia River! Anyway, on the SG I went to Courd'Alene. Going down I-90 terrible winds a week ago! Yes I guess I am doing a lane change all of a sudden kind of winds! The SG is worse then the FAT Boy with solid wheels in severe winds in my opinion. And we know why! My buddy riding on a Springer with spokeswas also fighting mothernaturelane changes in these conditions just as much as I was! You sum it all up, its just BS on these solid rims. There is so little addedsurface on them I doubt anyonecould notice a difference between a spoke and a solid rim on the same bike in severe winds! You take a SG mag rim they too are mostly closed with small openings. My SG is spoked smoothies.....Still got blown all over the place!

I wish Myth Busters would bust this Myth..... Because in my experience its exactly what it is! The difference has to be so small that it makes no difference! Let the Myth stop here!

Old 08-18-2007 | 01:12 PM
blz2503
Cruiser

got them on my '06 Fatboy...wouldnt trade it for the world. Going over bridges in high winds you do feel it...but not enough to make me trade 'em!

Old 08-18-2007 | 05:32 PM
tail11
Road Master

I noticed a difference when I put a solid fatboy wheel on my FXST. I felt that the crosswinds would catch my wheel. Now that I have my new wheels, I don't feel blown around as much. Perhaps it's all in my head, but I can tell a difference.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/C09CD438B5684A659CD68BDE59DBC81C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2007 | 10:07 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

urban myth
I've had them both ways (solid and open) and there was no difference.

Look at your picture and see how much wind could go through sideways anyway.

Old 08-18-2007 | 11:11 PM
Jucifer
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Texas Fat Boy

urban myth
I've had them both ways (solid and open) and there was no difference.

Look at your picture and see how much wind could go through sideways anyway.
ditto.

Old 08-19-2007 | 01:03 AM
SmokinEd
Advanced

Its all about surface area with wind, and for steering to be affected by wind and solid wheels that would mean that some parts of the wheel (front or back) is gettting more wind than other parts, or a shudder effect cause by forward momentum, shape of the bike and the front forks, causing wind vibration.

But I would suggest that the heavier your bike, the more front end fender gear, and especially having dual front discs would present less of a change in wind turbulance than bikes with a wide open front wheel.

In high winds there will definitely be a difference on any bike, but especially for the thin wheelers ...

Eddie

Quick Reply: Solid Disc Wheels