Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy front end difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022 | 11:34 AM
Woofer
|
6th Gear
Default Fatboy front end difference

Hi please bear with me I’m new to Harley’s. I have a 2007 fatboy and I’ve discovered by accident that the front wheel is off centre on this year. Someone has fitted new forks on mine (I think) but it doesn’t make the front fender off centre like the wheel so the fender touches the tyre one side but lots of clearance on the disc side.
I’m thinking the forks are 2008 onwards as the lugs for the fender are equal and not unequal to move fender over like on a 2007 model. Assuming the forks are later ones how did Harley centralise the wheel? Is it a case of a different front brake disc and spacers to centralise the wheel in the fender? Does anyone know how I can do it as the brake caliper is a fixed item of course. Thanks

Old 05-13-2022 | 04:30 AM
bustergut
Tourer

On a 2007 Fat Boy [I had one...] you probably shouldn't centralise the front wheel, because then it would no longer align with the rear wheel.

Old 05-13-2022 | 05:36 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The fender should ​​​​​​not touch. You have something wrong. Maybe spacers.

But if it's the wrong forks, you may need the correct ones. Or at minimum, measurements to really determine those mounting lugs. I wouldn't shim the caliper however. Shim the fender would probably be acceptable.

On my 04 Softail, things if you start just eyeballing tires to fenders is not perfect from the factory.

Mines all original and never wrecked.

Rear on a Softail alligns straight with swingarm and frame.

Actually, that's not so easy since axle is rather crude. When I had the wheel off, I did a lot of measures.

I ended up putting a lock type nut on the axle adjusters with the side opposite the plastic in a direction and equal on both adjusters from the end.

That way I can use my calipers to align wheel to the milled flats on the swing arm lugs back side.

Belt tracks fine. If you roll it fwd, it always tracks to one side but mine is so close, pushing it back will make it slowly go to other side.

Just eyeballing everything, I'm not truly sure rear actually is perfectly aligned with front on a Softail.

I have never tried to wire or straight edge align it. My tire size would make that a real challenge.

It rides OK. When the rear tire wears a flat however, it lets you know if you push it hard over on the chicken strips you need tires.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-13-2022 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2022 | 06:53 AM
bustergut
Tourer
The following users liked this post:
Woofer (05-13-2022)