Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some inspiration. Need pics of custom fatboys

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022 | 01:48 PM
Fogleguy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
I had DNA wheels, they rusted around the nipples in less than a year and DNA wouldn't honor the warranty and just blew me off.
Noted

Old 05-05-2022 | 01:58 PM
Fogleguy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Bopple Hill Rd
Agreed. There have been occasions over the years where I've gotten a bug to make some pretty drastic changes to all of my bikes. And on one occasion, that being my 2012 Street Glide, I did just that only to regret it. So much so that I ended up selling the bike because my bright ideas were not so bright.

In any event, I'd perhaps change out the bars on that beauty and maybe a cover here/there or a set of nice spoked wheels but that would be about it. She's a beaut! In fact, I'm half tempted to throw you an offer for it to keep her as she sits so you can go mod another one. But I understand the sentimental aspect of it. Good luck with your decision on how you move forward...just keep the old parts so you don't end up as I did on my SG. let us know what you do and pics are always appreciated.

Just for giggles, below is a pic of my 2005 FB. Paint, bars/nacelle ,exhaust, doo-dads and chromed. Still has the FB look with uncut tins.

I definitely plan on doing apes and spoke wheels first. I'm not getting rid of any parts that I take off because I always want the option to put it back the way it was back in the early 2000's.

Picture from 2003.
I will keep the bikes soul alive but I think changing some stuff out with new stuff that is more my style or more comfortable for me makes the bike that much more enjoyable so it can live on and be enjoyed the way it was back in 98. Taking the older parts off will also allow me to preserve them and quit wearing them out more than they already are. I'm not cutting on anything. And I can never sell this bike or any piece off of it. It will stay with the family as it has since 98.

The following users liked this post:
samsquanch (05-11-2022)
Old 05-05-2022 | 05:38 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Bar height is a little deceiving. here is my Carlini 12"
and with Carlini 18".
I like the 12" much better. Riding with the 18" bars your hands are so high that people in cars think you are waving at them so they wave back.

Last edited by Madison Bill; 05-05-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Fogleguy (05-06-2022)
Old 05-06-2022 | 06:46 AM
Craigny
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fogleguy
More pictures. I really want to put apes on first then go with smaller fenders and new seat etc. Just can't decide on what size ape to go with. I'm looking at 1.5inch fat apes but can't decide between 14 and 16 inch

During my first ride before I started working on the fatboy

Here's my '16 S. Alot of tasty mods IMHO (alot of them done by the previous owner)...anyway, these are 14" Carlini pist apes if you are wondering what 14"'s would look like.

Old 05-06-2022 | 11:20 AM
Fogleguy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
and with Carlini 18".
I like the 12" much better. Riding with the 18" bars your hands are so high that people in cars think you are waving at them so they wave back.

lol the thought of people waiving back legit made me laugh. I think the 14 inch bars would be a good size not too tall but not short either

Old 05-06-2022 | 11:21 AM
Fogleguy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Craigny

Here's my '16 S. Alot of tasty mods IMHO (alot of them done by the previous owner)...anyway, these are 14" Carlini pist apes if you are wondering what 14"'s would look like.
Im not sure if it's the angle of the photo or what but those look taller than 14 inches to me lol. Do you have any other pictures?

Old 05-07-2022 | 07:06 AM
Craigny
Road Master

Im not sure if it's the angle of the photo or what but those look taller than 14 inches to me lol. Do you have any other pictures?
Lol it's probably the angle, they are 14's I measured them when I got the bike.....at 5'6" these are the limit of what I can reach! Here are a couple of different angles:

Old 05-07-2022 | 07:17 AM
Fogleguy
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Craigny
Lol it's probably the angle, they are 14's I measured them when I got the bike.....at 5'6" these are the limit of what I can reach! Here are a couple of different angles:

I'm 5'11 so you think 14s would be just right or Maybe 16s? I could always get taller risers for the 14s assuming cables have 2 inches of extra reach

Old 05-07-2022 | 09:50 AM
Craigny
Road Master

I'm 5'11 so you think 14s would be just right or Maybe 16s? I could always get taller risers for the 14s assuming cables have 2 inches of extra reach
I think that's a solid plan. Like you said, 14's or 16's could work for you if you mess with riser heights if need be. At 5'11', 16' bars with some standard 2" risers should fit you, so at that point it may just be what look you like better. Either way you're probably looking at longer cables and brake lines, wiring extension too. At 14" I had to angle these back a bit because honestly they're a tad too big for my tastes. If they weren't already on the bike when I got them i'd have probably opted for some 12" apes or my usual pullback T-bar setup, but since the previous owner installed these bars (which ain't cheap lol) and went through all the effort of new clutch and brake lines and all internal wiring...it didn't seem practical to not adjust them to make them work for me. With my new Saddlemen seat that pushed me up a bit I can reach these now quite comfortably and I'm liking the riding position more and more! BTW your Fatboy is super clean...very nice, some apes on that bike will look killer!

Last edited by Craigny; 05-07-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Fogleguy (05-08-2022)
Old 05-07-2022 | 09:56 AM
Craigny
Road Master

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
and with Carlini 18".

Both look great but yeah I agree those black 12" ones look just right on that bike...awesome. Love the paint scheme on that bike! Like I stated I love my Carlini's that were on it when I got it, but if I was picking apes to install myself i'd go with probably exactly what you have there!

Last edited by Craigny; 05-07-2022 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some inspiration. Need pics of custom fatboys