Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 FXSTB "Bright Train" Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022 | 05:09 PM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Very nice. Love the rear fender and the brass. I did something similar to my 88.
Beautiful! Would love details on the oil pressure gauge!!

Old 01-27-2022 | 05:40 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Brass oil pressure gauge. https://www.diycycleparts.com/store/...e_Gauge.html#/
I used 3/16" aluminum plate for the bracket. Sorry about the blur but gives you an idea of what it looks like from the top.

Old 01-27-2022 | 10:43 PM
Prayinghands
Cruiser

Very cool modifications. I love those pushrod collars. How labor intensive is to install those?

Old 01-28-2022 | 02:36 PM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prayinghands
Very cool modifications. I love those pushrod collars. How labor intensive is to install those?
They replace the stock collars, so they're an easy install. Getting to them, however, is a little more challenging. On a stock bike, you'd have to either cut the pushrods and install adjustable ones or pull the rocker boxes to access them.

I did mine when I did the cam chain tensioners and adjustable pushrods. I also used the S&S pushrod cover kit to match the quickee pushrods.

Old 01-28-2022 | 06:06 PM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

By now you've probably noticed the tail lights...I converted Fork Co. bullet turn signals into combo brake/turn signals. The lights are drilled & tapped for M8-1.25, so I mounted them to the factory fender strut holes with stainless 3/8-16 to M8 adapter studs. A little filing was needed on the mounting pads so they would 'clock' in the proper orientation when tightened, and I had to drill 3/16 holes in the castings to run the power wire (they come with hollow studs for hiding the wires). A little VHT "anodized" red paint applied to the inside of the amber glass lenses gave them a proper shade.

To cap off the wiring (for now, at least) I added a license plate bracket and axle mount. The bracket is just one I had laying around...May have come from No School Choppers. The axle mount came from Rick's Cycles by way of W&W Cycles out of Germany. To mount it all, I drilled and countersunk the plate bracket to bolt to the axle mount and enlarged the license bolt holes so I could use some allen bolt LEDs I had on hand. I painted the bracket H-D texture black and mounted it all up. The axle mount replaces the axle adjuster spacer. Then I just routed the wires along the lower swingarm tube and hooked it all up. Got it all buttoned together and Texas legal Saturday, just in time for a frosty morning ride.

Last edited by gwhite; 01-28-2022 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Harfar (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022 | 07:09 PM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

Had a rare ice storm in Central Texas and we've been trapped at home for the last 48 hours - no riding and some of my recently ordered parts are delayed in transit.

A few days ago (before the storm) I had taken the tank off to mock up my new bars and measure for my cables & brake line. After that was accomplished, I decided to detail the engine - I don't think it ever had a proper bath.

I degreased with gunk original followed by McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash. Both products did an amazing job restoring the faded and stained texture black paint.

Confession time: I've really never cared for the machine finished fins on these late H-D engines - especially on a mostly black bike - so at this point I went crazy scrubbing, scuffing, and masking for paint. (Be gentle on me)

After everything was scuffed with 320 and wiped with acetone and a tack cloth, I shot 2 coats of H-D texture black on the jugs, heads, and rocker covers. I absolutely LOVE this paint. My only complaint is that it should come with a proper fan nozzle, so I lifted one from a donor can. This stuff lays down smooth and even - a perfect match to the factory paint. When all was said & done I'd say it was well worth the effort. Next up, a finned cam chest cover from Fork Co. and some EMD rocker box covers.

Last edited by gwhite; 02-04-2022 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2022 | 09:33 AM
Craigny
Road Master

Originally Posted by gwhite
Had a rare ice storm in Central Texas and we've been trapped at home for the last 48 hours - no riding and some of my recently ordered parts are delayed in transit.

A few days ago (before the storm) I had taken the tank off to mock up my new bars and measure for my cables & brake line. After that was accomplished, I decided to detail the engine - I don't think it ever had a proper bath.

I degreased with gunk original followed by McKees 37 N-914 rinseless wash. Both products did an amazing job restoring the faded and stained texture black paint.

Confession time: I've really never cared for the machine finished fins on these late H-D engines - especially on a mostly black bike - so at this point I went crazy scrubbing, scuffing, and masking for paint. (Be gentle on me)

After everything was scuffed with 320 and wiped with acetone and a tack cloth, I shot 2 coats of H-D texture black on the jugs, heads, and rocker covers. I absolutely LOVE this paint. My only complaint is that it should come with a proper fan nozzle, so I lifted one from a donor can. This stuff lays down smooth and even - a perfect match to the factory paint. When all was said & done I'd say it was well worth the effort. Next up, a finned cam chest cover from Fork Co. and some EMD rocker box covers.

Looks awesome! Nicely done!

The following 2 users liked this post by Craigny:
Dogs57 (03-13-2022), gwhite (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:06 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I'm really enjoying following along and love what you've done so far.
That said, I need to ask, where did you get the goggles? I have a pair but yours look to be twice as large as mine and would be great for wearing with my glasses. I have a restriction on my license and really prefer to wear glasses when riding but can't with my current goggles.

The following users liked this post:
gwhite (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022 | 10:46 AM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craigny
Looks awesome! Nicely done!
Thanks! Can't wait to get my other dress up parts in and on!

Originally Posted by IronAss
I'm really enjoying following along and love what you've done so far.
That said, I need to ask, where did you get the goggles? I have a pair but yours look to be twice as large as mine and would be great for wearing with my glasses. I have a restriction on my license and really prefer to wear glasses when riding but can't with my current goggles.
These are old Climax Model 521 goggles. I believe they are still being made in Europe. This set was New Old Stock from the 60s I picked up on ebay for less than a brand new set (about $80, IIRC). I love 'em, they fit over my Buddy Holly glasses...but the lenses are real glass, so be careful. They came with tinted glass inserts in the box but they were broken.

The following 2 users liked this post by gwhite:
Big Mule (05-08-2022), IronAss (02-05-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 08:48 PM
gwhite
|
Intermediate

It's been a little while since I've posted...been collecting a few parts and working on the rear fender situation. I've finally decided that I really need to center the rear wheel (it's off center to the left by almost exactly 1/4"). To accomplish this, I'm having the caliper machined 1/4" on the outside face of the axle mount and will add a 1/4" longer spacer on the left side of the wheel and a 1/4" spacer on the pullley to keep everything lined up. I may have to remove a tiny bit of material on the swingarm for caliper clearance...it's going to be close.

I borrowed the wheel and Avon Safety Mileage 5.00-16 (since I'll be using a similar tire on this build) from my Shovelhead and mocked up the fender - it's a Cooper Smithing Co. reverse lip.

I also picked up a Fork Co. finned cam chest cover and CV carb top. I'll polish out the cam chest cover and the plan is to paint the carb top to match the engine.

Last edited by gwhite; 03-12-2022 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 04 FXSTB "Bright Train" Build Thread