Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Fatboy FLSTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 10:22 AM
Lindyk66
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Huh? He’s building a 2002 Softail. Needs what the manual says is 68921-01d.

Old 07-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Lindyk66
6th Gear

Sorry, I think I’m replying to the wrong person. I apologize if this is Ed.

Old 07-14-2024, 06:49 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,146 Likes on 4,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Lindyk66
Huh? He’s building a 2002 Softail. Needs what the manual says is 68921-01d.

I'm not trying to be rude, but Ed Ramberger knows much more about this than you appear to know. He is trying to tell you that you don't NEED a #68921-01D. That is just the latest version of that part. You can also use earlier versions of that part that have different letters at the end. He explained it to you in two posts that you either didn't read or don't understand..

Here is the information he posted above for you... again:

"if it is a 2002 he can use the following:
Non Security: 68921-01,A,B,C,D

Security:68923-00,A,B,C,D"

That means for a Non-Security TSM, any of the part numbers 68921-01, regardless of the letter suffix, will work on that bike.

And for a Security TSSM, any of the part numbers 68923-00, regardless of the letter suffix, will work on that bike.

He even explained why in this post:

"The D is a revision for later years. 2001 used no letter suffix. 2002 nothing changed on the bikes. as HD revised parts they made them backward compatible. My information above is solid."

If you want to get it fixed, pay attention to the information above that he shared with you...

PS- I totally agree with him.

Forgive me if my post seems harsh.... but I can't understand why you would ask a question, then doubt, ignore, and/or disagree with someone who has good info on the issue and shares it with you....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-14-2024 at 06:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (07-15-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 07:34 PM
Lindyk66
6th Gear

Dear Hattitude. First off you are completely right about Ed. He has helped supply a lot of answers. My excuse is I can’t follow who’s talking to who in this thread sometimes. Once I thought I was answering someone who asked a question and I had replied to Ed instead, and upset him. That is not my intention. You have no idea how many people/groups I’ve talked to trying to find this part. And then most of them are scammers. My friend is a Harley rider coach and his techs tell him he needs to stay with this certain part number. Believe me, I’ve started to look for the numbers Ed gave me, and can’t find them either so far. I want this cycle done and the parts put on. If I trip over them one more time, he’s looking for a new parts finder. Again, I’m sorry this is so long, sorry I upset Ed and you. If I knew how to send this to Ed I would. He sounds like a really decent guy trying to help a big dummy. In finishing — I hope this is getting to Hattitude and not some person who has the part I need and will send it “Friends and Family”. Thanks. , Linda

The following 2 users liked this post by Lindyk66:
hattitude (07-15-2024), MarlinSpike (07-15-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 07:39 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 626 Likes on 418 Posts

This is like "Bizarro World"

Old 07-14-2024, 07:46 PM
Lindyk66
6th Gear

Harley-ish you’re, the one who I thought I was responded to. You said something about ESL ( I think). Anyone it went to Ed. You’re right. This is like dumb talking to dumber. But I hope you guys realize I might not know what I’m talking about, but I’m pretty, 😇

Old 07-15-2024, 08:13 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lindyk66
Dear Hattitude. First off you are completely right about Ed. He has helped supply a lot of answers. My excuse is I can’t follow who’s talking to who in this thread sometimes. Once I thought I was answering someone who asked a question and I had replied to Ed instead, and upset him. That is not my intention. You have no idea how many people/groups I’ve talked to trying to find this part. And then most of them are scammers. My friend is a Harley rider coach and his techs tell him he needs to stay with this certain part number. Believe me, I’ve started to look for the numbers Ed gave me, and can’t find them either so far. I want this cycle done and the parts put on. If I trip over them one more time, he’s looking for a new parts finder. Again, I’m sorry this is so long, sorry I upset Ed and you. If I knew how to send this to Ed I would. He sounds like a really decent guy trying to help a big dummy. In finishing — I hope this is getting to Hattitude and not some person who has the part I need and will send it “Friends and Family”. Thanks. , Linda

Message received...

These forums can be a free-for-all with information dump at times...

I wasn't upset, it was more frustration, as I thought you were missing, ignoring, and/or not believing the info Ed posted... See, we all get confused reading these threads from time to time...

Bottom line, you know what will work and what to look for... good luck with the repair..

Please update this thread when you get a resolution, it helps us all to know what is currently going on with the various repairs needed on our older bikes.

FWIW... here are couple of things you can do to ensure your message gets to the person/people you intend to respond to:

As in this post, I wanted you to know I got your message, so I quoted your post before my answer. I even highlighted in the quote of your post, the specific message I was responding to.

Also, when I want to respond to the original poster (OP) of a thread, and there are a bunch of other responses, I will start my message with, "To the OP............"

I hope these tips may help...

MarlinSpike (07-15-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 08:20 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 369 Posts

I in no manner want to hijack this thread. But I am very curious as I have a 2002.
Mr. H. What happens to these TSS & TSSM modules that they go bad or what causes them to fail?

Too bad they can not be just eliminated from the system since they seem to be so rare to find anymore.

Old 07-15-2024, 09:07 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MarlinSpike
I in no manner want to hijack this thread. But I am very curious as I have a 2002.
Mr. H. What happens to these TSS & TSSM modules that they go bad or what causes them to fail?

Too bad they can not be just eliminated from the system since they seem to be so rare to find anymore.

I have both a 2001 & 2003 with the TSSM modules. I have not had one go bad, but if it did, because it has security, it could keep the bike from starting. It also controls the tip sensor, so maybe that could disable a bike if the TSSM fails.

The EFI bikes with a TSSM need a complicated "Password Learning" procedure for the TSSM and the ECU to become married together and work. This can be an issue because if the TSSM fails, and the bike won't start, you need to replace the TSSM and complete the password learning to get the bike to start.

On the TSM module, it controls the turn signals and the "Tip Sensor", so not sure what happens there... I guess it could disable the bike via the tip sensor circuits if it goes bad, but I don't know.

The carb models with a TSSM, or replacing any TSM (non security) modules, are pretty much just able to switch around.

I have read rumors that there is a vendor, or two, working on an aftermarket TSM and TSSM. I can't remember if it was Custom Dynamics or one of the other vendors. That would be a great addition to those of us who want to keep our old bikes running... right now, the main repair for a TSM or TSSM is through eBay and the used TSM/TSSM market... that's always a crap shoot...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-15-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:34 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 670 Posts

Searching Ebay this very second
"68921-01" 3 results an 01, an 01A and an 01C.
"68923-00" Several revisions available.

I would recommend non-security. There is a 68921-01 for $299 obo and free returns. That is the bet I would place because there are returns, it looks the cleanest and it's the least price and has a best offer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/39552695160...Bk9SR-jC2fqWZA

The security one should have a key fob if he goes that route. I have a couple security ones and fobs but this is not a sale thread and I think there are ample on fleabay.

I looked in a 2001 parts book for Softail as I do not have a 2002 parts book. That is how I gave you the numbers above along with what I know about how HD revised numbers back then. Also, I truly do not remember any changes from the 01 to the 02 softail. A revision letter could literally be any change, and if this were an 04 Softail it would be a big deal. You could create a post asking for someone with a 2002 parts book or you could call around and ask for the number from the book - NOT the online catalogs as they will all say D. Then you will absolutely know what the 2002 book said. Even if it were revved there is no way it would be past an A.

My last concern is he is "building it". Does that mean it was a functioning 2002 or is there more to the story.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 07-15-2024 at 01:57 PM.
hattitude (07-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 2002 Fatboy FLSTF