Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Standard - Engine Paint - Chrome Kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Dragonsoni
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Standard - Engine Paint - Chrome Kits

I have an 06' Stoftail Standard.

The Silver Powder Coating is coming off the engine after only 2500 miles and 2 washes. I have used the brush-on touch-up paint, which seems to work fine. Is this a common problem? Is this a warranty issue?

I am thinking about doing the Chrome Engine Kit. Can it be done by a shade tree mechanic? Do the gaskets come with the kit? Is HD the only place to get a complete kit?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-10-2007, 12:41 AM
PowerJunkie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Softail Standard - Engine Paint - Chrome Kits

I have an 06 Heritage FLST that came with a silver engine and polished engine covers. I changed the covers to chrome ones myself. It was a fairly easy job but it was expensive. The first and hardest thing you have to do is remove the fuel tank to get at the rocker boxes. I highly recommend a tech manual for this unless you've done it before. Once you have the tank off the rocker boxes are easy to get off and replace. You will have to take the rockers out and move them to the new boxes which again is easy. While you have the boxes off you can go ahead and pull the pushrods out and change the tappet covers to chrome ones as well. Then go ahead and put that all together again. One thing to remember is to get the chrome bolt kits to with the new stuff or the old bolts will really stand out.

Next I had to remove the exhaust to get to the cam cover and transmission trap door. The cam cover comes off easily, just remember to follow the torque values in the tech manual when putting the new one on. They are less than you would think. The transmission trap door comes off easily, but you will have to change over the cable to the new cover. Again, very easy to do. If you want to change the top trans cover you will have to take off the oil tank which can be a pain in the tail, but you ccan also change to a chrome oil tank at the same time if you do this. The top trans cover is very hard to see so I decided to wait on it until sometime when I have to tear the bike down again.

The only thing left now is the primary cover which is very straightforward. It's also a good time to adjust the chain tensioner and you will have to change the fluid. Also, the gasket for the primary cover is very expensive, about $70. I changed the inner primary cover also but it is a whole day's job itself. If you really want to do it the tech manual will explain how but if you are an amatuer mechanic like myself it is a pain in butt.

The whole job of changing the covers is fairly simple but be warned it is very expensive. Plus, after you have all that chrome on your engine the front end will be screaming for chrome as well. That's another story in itself. It's a never ending addiction. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

70 dollars for the primary gasket???

Old 08-10-2007, 07:25 AM
bigpapakus
Advanced

I am wanting to paint my standards engine black. Has anyone done this? Any trick to getting paint to stay between fins? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Or you really advise against it please let me know also. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
jbroughton
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back in '78 (God, I sound like an old timer!), I painted the motor on my Super Glide with black wrinkle engine paint. It was a major pain in the butt taping everything out, but it turned out nice and held up really well. I'm seriously considering doing the name thing to my FLSTI with the natural finish. Good winter project for when you've got a couple of days that you won't be riding!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Dragonsoni
Advanced

Thanks PowerJunkie - expensive I bet when you throw in the chrome hardware.

How about Powder Coating in Silver or other shiny color (Redor Yellow)?

Has any done this with there own take-off parts? How much do you think that would cost?

Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the chrome engine kit yesterday for $640, and the gaskets are included.........doesn't sound too expensive compared to other mods.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mojojones

I just bought the chrome engine kit yesterday for $640, and the gaskets are included.........doesn't sound too expensive compared to other mods.
I bought the HD kit too from M&M cycles for about the same price. It wasn't to bad to install if your mechanical and have the manual, torque wrench and a good tool set. I installed the auto-tensioner and easy-pull clutch while I had the covers off, but you probibly already have them if your bike is new.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
bigpapakus
Advanced

Thanks jbroughton... I live in TX so there really isn't any downtime on riding... I think I am gona give it a try. Did you tape off the fins or just paint it all and then take the paint of the outside edges?

Old 08-11-2007, 11:11 PM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..or just send jugs off and have polished and maybe diamond cut fins.
Later

Quick Reply: Softail Standard - Engine Paint - Chrome Kits