Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 FXST QUESTION - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 12:27 PM
7aceshigh7
|
Cruiser
Default 2007 FXST QUESTION - PLEASE HELP

I am wanting to do a Satge 1 A/C upgrade, D&D slip-on exhaust part# 649010 (straight cut).
I am rather confindent that I can do all the Hardware wrenching myself, but from what I hear I need to do an ECM upgrade also....?(I fell some what confident that I could do this myself also... maybe)What do I need in order to do the ECM upgrade? The guy at the dealer told me that all I need to do is connect my bike to my laptop (with what usb? where do I optain the software?) and click what options I have installed. He made it sound pretty simple, but again he is "the parts counter guy" Is this something I CAN do?

Old 08-07-2007 | 12:41 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: 2007 FXST QUESTION - PLEASE HELP

I'm no expert but from what I UNDERSTAND...the Stage 1 ECM upgrade comes from the MC only. And only authorized HD Service can do the ECM upgrades.

The only other thing I'd recommend is that you get NEW clamps for your slip on's.
And possibly use heat resistant silicone to reduce the leak possibility.

If not sure...call and ask other HD dealers....

Old 08-07-2007 | 12:44 PM
7aceshigh7
|
Cruiser

MY ride!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36911/D2B72DE93BE540D9BABB18A4A1771D07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007 | 12:50 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior

To do it yourself, youd need to purchase the Screamin Eagle Race tuner or similar bike tuner. I hooked up and downloaded a new map for my bike with the SERT. Dealer wants to charge for install. Thing they dont tell you is that they will find the closest map and download it; takes all of abuot 15 seconds.... not worth the money if you ask me.

If your not comfortable messing with your ECM, a pigyback unit may be the answer. Things like the SE race FUELER, or a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak may be the ticket for you. Simply follow installation instructions and program and off you go.

Old 08-07-2007 | 01:43 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

If it was my bike..I'd look real hard at the Thundermax with auto tune before I'd buy a SERT that is then married to that bike, and that bike only.

Just my opinion..nothing more...

Old 08-07-2007 | 04:45 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

You can also look into a PCIII, its simple to install, has tons of maps avalable for it, and if you buy it from somebody like Fuelmoto they will program it for you with the exact setup your bike has before they ship it.
Best of all is that once its on you can fine tune it yourself with a laptop or desktop computer and the guys at Fuelmoto will help you out with any future map or tuning questions.

But for the top of the line setup Soft06 is right, the ThunderMax w/Auto Tune is about the best thing out there. Unfortunatly its also not cheap at about $800 delivered.

Old 08-08-2007 | 07:33 AM
7aceshigh7
|
Cruiser

guys thanks for all your reply's !

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:50 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

You can also look into a PCIII, its simple to install, has tons of maps avalable for it, and if you buy it from somebody like Fuelmoto they will program it for you with the exact setup your bike has before they ship it.
Best of all is that once its on you can fine tune it yourself with a laptop or desktop computer and the guys at Fuelmoto will help you out with any future map or tuning questions.

But for the top of the line setup Soft06 is right, the ThunderMax w/Auto Tune is about the best thing out there. Unfortunatly its also not cheap at about $800 delivered.
+1 on the PCIII.........I found it to be very simple to install and use, and with their wide variety of available maps, I found the exact "match" of my a/c and V&H big radius pipes. I suppose I could have it fine tuned for my particular bike and altitude, but don't think I'd see an appreciable difference in performance. I think their downloadable maps will get you so close you won't have any problems with running too lean etc.

Old 08-10-2007 | 12:30 PM
snowmass
Tourer

Citoriplus -When I put the PCIIIon my FXSTC, I had a heck of a timefitting the thing in there. I did put itwhere the instructions said, which isbetween the battery box and the rear tire mud guard, in front of the reartire. The problem with that is that it is very hard to get in there (I had to remove the rear fender bolts), and impossible to get to it toreprogram it without digging it all out again. Where did you locate yours?
Also, can you give me a good source for the 3-bar LED tail light you have? It looks great.
Thanks!

Old 08-10-2007 | 12:51 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: snowmass

Citoriplus -When I put the PCIIIon my FXSTC, I had a heck of a timefitting the thing in there. I did put itwhere the instructions said, which isbetween the battery box and the rear tire mud guard, in front of the reartire. The problem with that is that it is very hard to get in there (I had to remove the rear fender bolts), and impossible to get to it toreprogram it without digging it all out again. Where did you locate yours?
Also, can you give me a good source for the 3-bar LED tail light you have? It looks great.
Thanks!
Not trying to step on toes since you didn't ask me but...
I have a 2006 Standard, that I put an 2007 FXSTC seat on it, ( have since changed to a Mustang) then had the PCIII installed. That seat has a little "void" right behind the ECM that I used velcro to attach the PCIII to. Very easy to access.