Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to tune after V&H Bigshots & Hypercharger install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
bs883
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to tune after V&H Bigshots & Hypercharger install?

I asked this in the "Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection" section, but haven't gotten any answers. I was hoping I could get more info from the Softail section.

My dad has an '07 Softail Deuce, which already has Vance & Hines Bigshots. His bike was tuned at the dealer after the pipes were installed, but now he wants to install a Hypercharger. Which would be the best way to tune his bike after the Hypercharger is installed? V&H Fuelpak? SERT? PCIII? Or what? The dealer just wants too much money, and I'm clueless about EFI bikes. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain
Default RE: Best way to tune after V&H Bigshots & Hypercharger install?

IF YOU ALLREADY HAVE A LOW RESTRICTION AIR CLEANER, LIKE A K&N OR SC. NO CHANGE IN TUNING IS NEEDED. THE HYPER CHARGER IS MORE FOR LOOKS THAN PERFORMANCE AND WILL NOT ACTUALLY "CHARGE" ANY THING EXCEPT YOUR EYE *****

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 PM
bs883
Cruiser

There isn't an aftermarket filter of any kind installed. That's why I asked about tuning after the Hypercharger is installed. I want to know if there will be any drastic changes in how it runs, and if it needs to be re-tuned, which would be the best way to go.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If the stock air filter setup is still on the bike then you WILL have to do something in the way of tuning or risk damaging the engine from an excessively lean condition.
Changing the pipes alone won't hurt things because no matter how good they help scavenge the exhaust gasses its not going to change things in any great way. The engine is still restricted in how much air gets in by the stock air filter. But once that's changed and lets more air in, all bets are off and a retune either by the dealer or an aftermarket FI system (PCIII, FuelMoto,SERT, or other system) becomes manditory.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
bs883
Cruiser

Okay, which tuner would everyone recommend?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If you don't have any future plans for amking a rice killer out of it, just have the dealer download a Stage 1 map and you should be good to go.
But if you do haveplans then I think you will be better off with either a PCIII or a SERT. Stick to the PCIII for moderate upgrades. Its less expensive and is easey to work with. For really big upgrades the more expensive SERT offers a lot more tuning flexability especially for things likea big bore kit, cams and assorted other goodies.
The top of the line setup would be a ThunderMax w/Auto Tune. It would replace the entire ECM system currently in the bike with a tuanable and self retuning system that in my personal opinionshould have been installed in the factory before delivery.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not trying to talk you out of getting a HyperCharger, but for another opinion you might want to read the following;

http://www.harleyhelp.com/faq.html#hyp

Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
bs883
Cruiser

That's just what he is interested in. Personally, I like the Forcewinder and SE Heavy Breather intakes a lot. Maybe I can show him some dyno numbers and change his mind. Also, do you think the dealer has already downloaded the Stage 1 tune? Or is there a download for just pipes that they may have used?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If the intake is still stock I gotta question ifANYTHING was downloaded to it. They might have done it, but without the intake being changed its not really needed and might even cause problems with an over rich mixture.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

Not trying to talk you out of getting a HyperCharger, but for another opinion you might want to read the following;

http://www.harleyhelp.com/faq.html#hyp

Im not really sure if i would put a whole lot of stock into what this guy says, on his site, he claims that synthetic oil in a Harley will cause bearing skate (syn oil is too slipery and causes bearings to skate in thier races instad of role) which is a bunch of BS! So take that for what its worth, but my opinion, I dont really like Hyperchargers but, if you like the looks of the Hypercharger get it and be happy, you could probably get a few more HP and TQ out of a different brand but you would never notice it in the seat of your pants. If your not real familar with EFI tuning, get a PCIII from fuelmoto ( www.fuelmotousa.com) they will pre program the PCIII with a caned map and you can just plug and play, and all will be right with the world.

Chris

Quick Reply: Best way to tune after V&H Bigshots & Hypercharger install?