Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Softail sensor question (missing?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021 | 09:23 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

To me, without any reliable information on why they were used, those eliminators are a big red flag.....

All those do, is fool the ECM to not throw a check engine light, when the O2 sensors are disconnected....

IMHO....That is a pretty "Mickey Mouse" way (an old saying from my youth that describes substandard shortcuts when doing mods) to deal with the check engine light, if you in fact have a proper open loop tune.... If you are flashing a proper tune, you would just turn off the O2 sensors in the ECM..

Maybe overkill, but if I couldn't figure out exactly what kind of tune is in that bike, and that it is tuned to run without the O2 sensor feedback, I would not trust the tune, or any other mods on that bike.

I know with my PowerVision, I could tell what kind of tune was in that ECM. I don't know if the FP3 will give you that information..

Without knowing about the tune, I would consider it improperly tuned, and start from scratch.... I like to KNOW what tune is in my bike...

I would install the O2 sensors per OEM standards, and get a new tune for an '07 Bike w/O2 sensors and your specific mods... I would then flash the bike with the entirely new tune, maybe run an Auto Tune session, and go from there...

If your FP3 can't tell you what you need to know about the current tune, or handle flashing an entirely new tune, I would get a PowerVision (my tuner of preference). I bought mine from Fuelmoto, to get lifetime map/tuning support from both FuelMoto AND DynoJet...

It won't take a lot to get it sorted out correctly, just don't take shortcuts..... do it right and you'll only need to do it once...!

Good luck with dialing in the tune...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-18-2021 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kinamyen (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 03:28 PM
Kinamyen
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
To me, without any reliable information on why they were used, those eliminators are a big red flag.....

All those do, is fool the ECM to not throw a check engine light, when the O2 sensors are disconnected....

IMHO....That is a pretty "Mickey Mouse" way (an old saying from my youth that describes substandard shortcuts when doing mods) to deal with the check engine light, if you in fact have a proper open loop tune.... If you are flashing a proper tune, you would just turn off the O2 sensors in the ECM..

Maybe overkill, but if I couldn't figure out exactly what kind of tune is in that bike, and that it is tuned to run without the O2 sensor feedback, I would not trust the tune, or any other mods on that bike.

I know with my PowerVision, I could tell what kind of tune was in that ECM. I don't know if the FP3 will give you that information..

Without knowing about the tune, I would consider it improperly tuned, and start from scratch.... I like to KNOW what tune is in my bike...

I would install the O2 sensors per OEM standards, and get a new tune for an '07 Bike w/O2 sensors and your specific mods... I would then flash the bike with the entirely new tune, maybe run an Auto Tune session, and go from there...

If your FP3 can't tell you what you need to know about the current tune, or handle flashing an entirely new tune, I would get a PowerVision (my tuner of preference). I bought mine from Fuelmoto, to get lifetime map/tuning support from both FuelMoto AND DynoJet...

It won't take a lot to get it sorted out correctly, just don't take shortcuts..... do it right and you'll only need to do it once...!

Good luck with dialing in the tune...
Thanks hattitude. I have ordered new O2 sensors and I am removing the exhaust to have bungs welded in this week. After that is installed I am going to tackle the tune. Thanks for all the well informed knowledge and posts.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (07-19-2021)