Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which wind deflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021 | 08:39 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
Am I the only one that isn't affected by this? I never saw this as an issue when I had my windshield, and even more so now that I put on a full fairing? What am I missing?

There's wind... and then there's buffeting..

Buffeting is when wind, while flowing around the windshield, hits your helmet in a way to cause a vibration or unwanted, random movement of your head/helmet... That vibration can be quite annoying...

It is obviously affected by many things, to include windshield size/shape, position of rider behind the windshield, and of course the type/style/shape of your helmet...

I've never noticed it on my non-windshield bikes, or before I started wearing a helmet... back then (and currently on my FXSTS) it was/is just wind to me...

I wear a small half-helmet, use shorter, recurve windshields on both my bagger and my Heritage, and I'm 5'8" tall.... that is all part of the equation...

I can feel wind from over, and under, my windshields, at varying degrees and at varying times. I don't find it offensive.... maybe if I had a very long beard that was constantly pushed up into my face I would have a different opinion...

Only once have I ever noticed real buffeting on one of my windshield bikes... it was very annoying, rapid wind pulses, "bumping" my helmet... I adjusted my sitting position slightly and it went away for that ride... I've never really experienced it since....

I read these threads with interest, and am thankful I don't have to deal with constant buffeting...

The following users liked this post:
jkinner (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021 | 02:28 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

I run a half 99% of the time, I have a Freedom Shields 8" recurve on my fairing, before that a 19" Memphis Shades windshield. I never really have any issues with buffeting, turbulence, sunglasses lifting or anything of that matter. Maybe it has a lot to do with riding without a fairing/windshield for so many years the added protection upfront makes that much of a difference for me?

Old 06-20-2021 | 10:18 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

A Tank Lift will go a long way in reducing the amount of air flowing over the top of the tank, that then hits the rider in the chest and travels up and causes buffeting.

It is different for everyone (height, riding position, etc.), but most experience a reduction/elimination of glasses and helmet buffeting.

Plus there are other benefits, cooler running engine, more chrome showing, easier cleaning.

Old 05-30-2022 | 10:02 AM
tiedye99
Stage I

Just upgraded my '04 Heritage to 2018 Heritage. Rode 250+ Saturday and came home feeling beat up by the wind. Both bikes had bad buffeting. I installed the HD fork deflectors on my '04 and they worked great. They fit snug to the fork, tapered down to a soft point and looked sleek. I've read how the JES fangs work great, but I have to say, I'm not overly excited about they way they look sticking out so far. I want my fork deflectors in black, so if I have to buy chrome I will take it to be powder coated. The HD deflectors are not for '18+ and I think I saw someone just had to drill new holes. So now my dilemma is, does the JES fangs actually do a better a job and I need to suck it up about the look? Or does the altered HD style work just as good?