Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork oil spray

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Tiffy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork oil spray

I have noticed between washings that I find a small amount of what appears to be front fork oil (little droplets and streaks) on the front of the gas tank and frame. I can see a small amount of oil on the rear side of my right front fork when this happens. [:'(] Thebike is a Heritage and is only a couple of months old. Does anyone have any experiance with this or is it just a bit of excess oil during assembly that is coming off. Your thoughts and opinions please. Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Mike05
Tourer
Default RE: Fork oil spray

I have seen posts on this forum about excess grease from the steering head bearings seeping out, especially after service as there may be too much grease shot into the zirk fitting. Not that I'm ruling out a leaking tube....just some things I've seen here.....

Check this post..

https://www.hdforums.com/m_120144/tm.htm

Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Take it in and have it checked. The left front fork seal went out on my EG Classic at 9,000 miles. Had it repaired under warranty. My shop said that mine was the second one they had seen in a week.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Tiffy
Advanced

Thanks! I took it in to the dealer and had it checked. It turns out that the right and left nuts at the top of the shock tubes were both loose!. Not the chrome nut that you see from the top but the nut that is supposed to be torqued down to keep the spring in place and fluid from leaking. All work done under warrenty of course. Are these sorts of things supposed to be noticed at the dealer when getting the bike ready for the customer or is this a case of sloppy assembly at the plant ?? Makes ya wonder what else is loose or missing. All in all, a relativly minor glitch that was caught in time. Still happy as a clam though, can't sem to wipe the sh#t-eating grin off my face when I'm riding her.
Brad