Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sucks...always somthing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
brycharz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucks...always somthing.

New Member, New Harley, New problem

Got a '07 Night train with 1300 miles on it, it had the 1000 mi service. Long story long...I filled up with "Premium" last week at the pump on base and rode it back to work I parked it and it and letting it "cool down", in the Texas sun, for an hour and a half or so before leaving on it for lunch. When I tried to start it up for the trip it sputtered, coughed black smoke and ran like crap till it got hot. Chalked it up to base gas, which I've usually never buy and have had problems in the past. Had to ride it a bit and thought the gas would clear itself up.

On the way back from gas I had it and stopped in at the pump to talk to the manager. They shut down the "premium" and stopped selling the batch as they waited for a diagnosis.

Got an email today that the batch of fuel was contaminated with Diesel, not sure of the %, and that anyone who had purchased the fuel should contact them and the distributor to handle any problems they have had.

Questions for you:

With the bike so new, and still breaking in, will a bit of diesel through the engine cause any damage? Should I have Harley look over the bike or leave them out of it since this could possibly void the warranty?

After clearing out the bad gas and going through a tank and a half of good stuff with a little SeaFoam in it, I am not experiencing problems but I don't want things to start happeneing way down the road.

What do you think??

Old 08-03-2007, 03:44 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Sucks...always somthing.

I would check your plugs to see if they were fouled. Very possible. Also, I would register a 'complaint' or some written proof that you also had thatbad gas.. that way, if something occurs down the road. you will more likely be covered than if you didn't do the written proof situation. I would keep your reciept for the gas (should have date / time) at least, and also, file something indicating you did get gas and are having your bike checked. They should pay for the 'checking' (probably also pay for your plugs)..

Streak

Old 08-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Nortonics
Cruiser

Before I finished reading your post I was saying to myself "he put diesel in there accidentally".

Oily *** chit for sure. I'd think if anything you got some junk in there that will eventually burn out after a tank or two of regular fuel. Yeah, check the plugs, but beyond that...

Workin at a gas station at the time, I remember back in the days when diesel cars were becoming popular where owners would fill up with regular gas accidentally, then take off. Now THAT toasted those diesel engines in no time, as you can imagine. The other way around ain't so bad, the engine just won't run for crap. I'd also suggest you ask Harley - don't tell em' who you are, just call 'em and ask 'em. From their web site: To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
rockerhead
Road Captain

I doubt any engine damage as the diesel just did not burn completly giving you a crappy runner. Check the plugs drain the tank and refill with 91 octane. Should run properly.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

i think with the advice you have received,you will be ok

Old 08-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Paul.C.
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: rockerhead

I doubt any engine damage as the diesel just did not burn completly giving you a crappy runner. Check the plugs drain the tank and refill with 91 octane. Should run properly.

Good advise there.

You could always just go into a workshop and ask a tech what he thinks.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:18 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't tell Harley. I don't think problems caused by bad gas would be covered anyway and they could blame future problems on the bad gas.

If it was anything but a military base gas station I'd say get the gas station to pay for new plugs and get a refund for the bad gas. But, if its AAFES you won't get anywhere with them.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel in a gas engine is prone to serious detonation. When talking to dealer, mums the word.
Ron

Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Funny... the wife filled up my 'Vette the first time, several years ago now, and started to pump diesel before she realized it. She had pumped maybe 6 gallons, then realized it and filled it the rest of the way (~10 gallons) with Premium. We were both worried, but bottom line is that it had no impact. Smoked a little (very little really), but didn't even soil the plugs.

As stated - gas in a diesel engine is probably catastrophic, but diesel in a gas engine isn't a huge issue.

Roger

Old 08-03-2007, 10:52 PM
brycharz
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: deadeye

I wouldn't tell Harley. I don't think problems caused by bad gas would be covered anyway and they could blame future problems on the bad gas.

If it was anything but a military base gas station I'd say get the gas station to pay for new plugs and get a refund for the bad gas. But, if its AAFES you won't get anywhere with them.
Thanks everyone for the input, gonna change out the plugs in the morn (not that it's running bad now but just in case) Plus it will give me a reason to go to HD and get a few extra shiny things. I'll save the receipt for the refund.

The refund will not come from AAFES, like you said. AAFES isn't fixing the situation, they are just passing it on to the fuel distributor. I'm picking up the written proof from the manager on Monday and they have already been in contact with the supplier who is working with them and is supposed to take care of the prob.

I'll work up a letter to have the distribution company agree to fix anything fuel and combustion related should Harley not want to cover the warranty if something comes up. Yeah, like they will agree to that.

As far as specifically diesel in a gas engine and vice versa...I'm not exactly sure but I do have a Dodge Ram with a Cummins 5.9 diesel. The owners manual says that the engine can burn 10% (from memory) regular gasoline mixture in the wintertime to avoid gelling of the fuel. Shoot, that engine will burn waste oil from your crankcase!

Diesel I do know has several times the potential energy than gasoline, which was my cause for concern. Granted the Harley engine doesn't get to the compression levels needed for diesel combustion, mixed with gasoline it will ignite with the spark. Predetonation shouldn't be a problem but a strong late combustion was probably happening which would probably explain the backfiring and black smoke.

I have heard one of the guys in town accidentally putting some diesel in his Hyabusa. Smoked like a chimney and stopped running. Spark plugs fouled out like you all said. Changed the plugs, purged the fuel system and it wasn't an issue.

Thanks again for the input....or any more to come.

Quick Reply: Sucks...always somthing.