Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:29 PM
starbiker99
|
Tourer
Default 08 Custom

I was suppose to go pick up a 2008 Softail Custom thoday after work but after reading the 07 tranny issue thread amd 1/2 tempted to call it off. I currently ride an 03 Roadstar and have had no trouble at all with it and love the bike but its time for something different. I asked the dealer about the 07 issue and he said they have heard of a few with noise , but its not a serious thing. My Roadstar was recalled 4 months after I bought it for tranny issues as well. I really want the new FXSTC but don't want to like it less than my old bike. What do you think?

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:39 PM
rbabos
Banned
Default RE: 08 Custom

Personally I'd wait to see if any 08s join the tranny section. Nothing worse than having bike you're not really pleased with or the company that built itbecause theywon't take care of the problem.
Ron

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:40 PM
buckshot
Advanced

I got an 07 custom in may
have almost 4,000 on it and no problems

If you want the bike get it

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:42 PM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member

My FXSTC was built in June of 2006 and my transmission is fine. Don't worry about things out of your control, plus all the people that are complaining about the 6 speed are RUB's, and they don't understand that straight cut gears are going to make noise like the M-22 Munice ( Rock Crusher)in the old mussle cars

Old 08-03-2007 | 02:47 PM
Tileman
Advanced

My dad bought an 07 Custom about a month ago and I rode it home from the dealer for him. It was 90 miles one way. No noise or problems at all. Still to this day no problems.He also has an 07 Ultra and has had no problems with that one either. I have a buddy with an 07 Fatboy- no problems. I think a lot of the horror stories were from bikes that came out early in model year. Unless something has changed for 08, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-03-2007 | 03:56 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior

I've got the '07 FXSTC also and not a problem with it. Most of the people complaining about noise are the Baggers with full fairings.

I had a '66 Vette with the M-22 and I never heard any noise with that either. Of course, with the Headers, it was a little loud inside

Old 08-03-2007 | 04:07 PM
starbiker99
|
Tourer

Well its raining here now and the dealer just called and said it won't be ready for pickup until noon tomorrow it has to go thru service. I guess I have a few more hours to debate it. When I test rode the 07 2 weeks ago I only made it to 4th gear and had a full helmet on and it sound fine. My Roadstar has a loud engine compared to most bikes but it runs fine and there is nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-03-2007 | 04:34 PM
harleydavidson04
Novice

Bought an 07 fxstc, if I lug it too low in fifth or sixth it makes some noise, not sure it's the tranny though.Being a lighter bike and me being only 175# I can run 60 in sixth gear as long I'm smart on how hard you roll on, but if you really want to get moving drop one or two gears and say good bye.

Old 08-03-2007 | 04:46 PM
txgeezer
Tourer

No noise on mine except the sweet sound of the pipes. I had the same concerns but decided if it bothered me I would just turn up the radio or hit the gas. Nonoise even before changing the pipes. As for the FXSTC - buy it, you'll love it. I realize it's a much different bike but I had a 93 and put over 60K miles on it.

It didn't have gear noise but it had valve train noise but it took a lickin and kept on tickin. Get a T bag to lean against, a windshield, put a kooler on the fender rack, hit the highway and don't look back.

Old 08-04-2007 | 12:40 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior

I went from an '06 Roadliner to an '07 Heritage Classic, and I had some of the same concerns initially. I haven't owned a Harley in 15 years, and the main reason is that I kept believing a lot of the negative talk from my metric friends.

Then I drove a couple '07 models. That cured me of my concern. The reality is that the 6 speed transmission is very good; especially the 6th gear. A couple of the bikes I've ridden did have a bit louder 5th gear, but it was not something that would keep me away from the bike. I've got several friends who also ride '07 models and none of them complain. That doesn't mean that for some there haven't been problems, but just that it seems to vary from rider to rider.

The bike I actually bought doesn't seem to have much of a 5th gear noise, and the overall transmission feels as good as any metric I've owned including a VTX, Gold Wing, and Roadliner.

Don't make a decision until you ride one (or two or three). Long and short of it ... don't let opinions on the internet persuade you ... let the ride do it.

Quick Reply: 08 Custom