Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with a Fatboy looking for mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021 | 04:24 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I did go a different route with this '19 FLFBS

The following users liked this post:
eagleeyeice (04-26-2021)
Old 04-23-2021 | 04:36 PM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Maybe I misread his first post but I thought he was looking for mods to change the appearance as he's not a FB fan. He inherited it. But quite a few opt to buy the FB and add the Heritage stuff they like because it's cheaper than buying the Heritage.
My bad if I was mistaken.

Old 04-23-2021 | 04:45 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
Maybe I misread his first post but I thought he was looking for mods to change the appearance as he's not a FB fan. He inherited it. But quite a few opt to buy the FB and add the Heritage stuff they like because it's cheaper than buying the Heritage.
Huh? Well, TY for that. Thought I post what a FB could look like with my '05, and what I did with the new one. Give him a diff way of looking at it.
Not much difference in what you posted, other than bags, than my '05...lulz

Cheaper than a Heritage? I think not. I went in for the Heritage this time around, I walked away with the FB. Same price, same year, same 114.
That '05 lil more than the other softails, too.

Edit: I'll be nice and not throw my Deluxe into the thread.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 04-23-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2021 | 07:48 AM
F.U.T.W w/Harley
|
Novice

Originally Posted by 60Gunner

Thats pretty close. Its not that im not a FB fan i just think the solid dull front wheel IMHO is just hideous. I have the 5 spoke front wheel and it looks much better. id still like to do spokes and whitewalls and true dual exhaust or long shots. Something that will allow me to put bags on when i need them. Im much more of a fan on herritage and deluxe looks. Just me and what i like.

Old 04-26-2021 | 08:36 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F.U.T.W w/Harley
Thats pretty close. Its not that im not a FB fan i just think the solid dull front wheel IMHO is just hideous. I have the 5 spoke front wheel and it looks much better. id still like to do spokes and whitewalls and true dual exhaust or long shots. Something that will allow me to put bags on when i need them. Im much more of a fan on herritage and deluxe looks. Just me and what i like.

I'm with you on that, for whatever reason I've never been a fan of the solid wheels.... They just don't do it for me...

Good luck with the mods....

F.U.T.W w/Harley (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021 | 08:47 AM
F.U.T.W w/Harley
|
Novice

Originally Posted by hattitude
I'm with you on that, for whatever reason I've never been a fan of the solid wheels.... They just don't do it for me...

Good luck with the mods....
The all black or the mirror look are still pretty cool and i dig those.

Old 04-26-2021 | 08:56 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member

Things can get real exciting in a good crosswind with those solid wheels too.

Old 04-26-2021 | 09:01 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

The possibilities are endless, personally I think the Heritage bags would look good on your bike, not to mention WWW'S and spokes. But that's a classic look I really love.
Unless your wallet is wide open and bottomless then sit back, write down your wants, needs and goals for your end game look.
DNA makes a nice classic spoke wheel that won't break the bank. The Dunlop 402F and 401s are the brightest whitest WWW out there.
Bars, cables and wire extensions will be pricey, but once it's done it's done. Pipes? I love the look of the V&H Long Shots Staggered, or just thw straight shots. Seems like everyone has fishtail and or duals, so I stayed away.
Takes time and money, I did a little something to make her mine every year and she wasn't the cookie cutter look.
Good luck, go slow, take your time, spend your money right the first time around, this way you don't look back and regret anything you did.
I did a full fairing this year, not sure I'm totally sold on it yet, but I certainly do love having tunes.

F.U.T.W w/Harley (04-26-2021)
Old 02-20-2024 | 12:35 PM
F.U.T.W w/Harley
|
Novice

UPDATE: I know im reviving a 3 year old thread but the original post was about mods to my 02 fatboy and ive made more than a few so i wanted to update any and all that offered help. That and maybe get some advice on my next mod. When people ask what bike i have i usually just say a softail because she doesn't look much like a traditional fatboy anymore. True dual fishtail bassani 36' exhaust, 16' apes, 21' spoke front wheel with whitewall tires. 18' rear wheel with whitewall tires, passing lamps from i think an 03' road king, and ive added harley swing arm axle covers on the rear wheel .

Now im moving on to stage 2. Ive bee researching cams all over the place. I dont plan on doing anything like a big bore kit. I just want the cams for more torque and more hp from idle to 5500 rpms. I do most of my riding in the city and some back roads cruising. I only get on the highway for short periods of time to get to the next city to cruise some more. My local mechanic says the fueling 525 is something i should look into. Im leaning more towards a, Andrews 21 or 26, as those seem to be the cams that show the best torque and hp improvement in the low to mid range. Im looking for bolt in cams, not looking to do a big production, just want cams and lifters if needed, and maybe go with a hydraulic tensioner because that seems to be a problem that will occur with my bike at some point. So what are your suggestions on this cam mod? I want to get this done in the next few weeks before riding season gets here.

Old 02-20-2024 | 03:48 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F.U.T.W w/Harley
UPDATE: I know im reviving a 3 year old thread but the original post was about mods to my 02 fatboy and ive made more than a few so i wanted to update any and all that offered help. That and maybe get some advice on my next mod. When people ask what bike i have i usually just say a softail because she doesn't look much like a traditional fatboy anymore. True dual fishtail bassani 36' exhaust, 16' apes, 21' spoke front wheel with whitewall tires. 18' rear wheel with whitewall tires, passing lamps from i think an 03' road king, and ive added harley swing arm axle covers on the rear wheel .

Now im moving on to stage 2. Ive bee researching cams all over the place. I dont plan on doing anything like a big bore kit. I just want the cams for more torque and more hp from idle to 5500 rpms. I do most of my riding in the city and some back roads cruising. I only get on the highway for short periods of time to get to the next city to cruise some more. My local mechanic says the fueling 525 is something i should look into. Im leaning more towards a, Andrews 21 or 26, as those seem to be the cams that show the best torque and hp improvement in the low to mid range. Im looking for bolt in cams, not looking to do a big production, just want cams and lifters if needed, and maybe go with a hydraulic tensioner because that seems to be a problem that will occur with my bike at some point. So what are your suggestions on this cam mod? I want to get this done in the next few weeks before riding season gets here.

I have no experience with Fueling Cams, but they are a good company that make good products.

The Andrews 12 & 26 cams have a long history with the 88" Twin Cam engine. I have not heard a bad report about them.

When I upgraded the spring cam tensioners in my 2003 Heritage, it already had a big bore kit. I wrote Andrews about the choice between the 21 & 26 cams for that bike. Their advice at that time (numerous years ago) was that for OEM 88", go with the 21 cams. For a big bore kit and/or with a bump in compression, go with the 26 cams.

I haven't re-read this entire thread, so forgive me if it's mentioned earlier, you want to upgrade your spring cam tensioners and replace your inner cam bearings while you are in the cam chest... Search those two things and you will get days of reading, opinions, and options.

Good luck with your mods...

Quick Reply: Newb with a Fatboy looking for mods