Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Fork covers Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 03:24 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Mod of the day! Leather/Banadana Upper Fork covers

So I always admired those upper fork covers, sometimes my 41mm WG forks just look so.. you know, 41 , anyways, I have a custom triple tree so can't buy anything from the market really, and decided to do a dyi with the following goals
1 - It must look a bit thicker than the original fork (so 3.5 m leather will give me a total width close to the modern 49mm
2 - Something that I can easily install and remove without having to remove the fork tubes
3 - Something that I can clean and change the look of as I wish

So finally, today is a very rainy day, boring day and I got this baby started

So here is my solution
Materials : Heavy leather pieces, Banadana, Grommet Kit (all from Amazon for under 40CAD$)

1 - Cut the leather to match the size of the Fork

2 - Cut the bandana to wrap nicely around the leather (take lots of measurements)

3 - Use grommet kit to install gromets in the bandana

4 - Looks good to me!

5 - Now Wrap the bandana around the leather, And since I have measurements, I can replace this in the future with Jeans, Other colors, patterns, etc!

6 - Test run to shoe the difference between the two, I used an old shoe lace for now to tie the groummet eyelet holes in the back but this could improve

BEFORE!

AFTER!! ( you can still see some excess on the sides so I had to tidy things up a bit

I think it looks good now, the best thing is, it is a 1-minute removal and maybe 5 minutes installation

Cheers

Last edited by klf33; 04-11-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Description match