Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bars, small issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021 | 12:09 PM
Gil-V
|
Novice
Default New bars, small issue

Installed 14" apes on 2011 fatboy lo. I had a hard time pulling the throttle side cables through. I think I may have snapped a wire or wires, I have no power to that side. I'm pretty sure that is the issue, just wanted to post this in case there is something else I should look at.

Old 03-25-2021 | 09:36 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe the 2011 softails are the canbus correct?

I've done a bar change on a canbus bagger, but not a softail. I'm assuming the softail will have the same basic connections, but the main harness connections are at the frame neck, behind the front panel instead of in the fairing...

First thing I would do is disconnect the switchpack/throttle connectors and then the connectors at the main harness, to check that the connectors themselves haven't separated and also the continuity between the connectors.... That should confirm the problem is in the bar wiring...

If you used add-on extensions instead of new longer wire sets, the splice connector usually ends up in the bars... it could have come apart during the pull...

Good luck with the fix, and report back what you find...

Old 03-25-2021 | 03:51 PM
Gil-V
|
Novice

Originally Posted by hattitude
I believe the 2011 softails are the canbus correct?

I've done a bar change on a canbus bagger, but not a softail. I'm assuming the softail will have the same basic connections, but the main harness connections are at the frame neck, behind the front panel instead of in the fairing...

First thing I would do is disconnect the switchpack/throttle connectors and then the connectors at the main harness, to check that the connectors themselves haven't separated and also the continuity between the connectors.... That should confirm the problem is in the bar wiring...

If you used add-on extensions instead of new longer wire sets, the splice connector usually ends up in the bars... it could have come apart during the pull...

Good luck with the fix, and report back what you find...
It does have the same connections, one on each side. Good news, yesterday I started pulling the wires from bars, I pulled throttle side through triple tree access hole. Before I went the rest of the way, I peeled away layers of shrink wrap and electrical tape, boom! One white wire was broken, I did a quick patch to other piece and power was restored when I flipped the on switch. Oh man I was happy. I checked remaining wires and did a good solder on bad wire. All is good now.

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (03-25-2021)