Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 sportster VS fat boy 1991

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021 | 06:36 PM
TonyHD
|
Intermediate
Default 2008 sportster VS fat boy 1991

Hello ladies and Gents!
i have a pretty unique 2008 sportster 1200 dressed as a bobber with 13 000km (~8000 miles)

I have posted it only to test the water because I’d like to get a Dyna or a Softail for smoother long ride and little more power. A gentlemen offered me a trade off for his 1991 yellow/white Fat Boy. Colour is secondary and if I get one of those I’ll try and go toward a cholo style anyway.

my big question is:
this is a 1991, mine is a 2008. Almost 20 years newer... how reliable or good are those 1990’s bike.

i know I know mostly depend on maintenance, I have to get more infos about this from the owner but from the pictures it looks pretty clean.

he also offered me to add some cash on top we haven’t discuss any amount yet.

my sporty is my first bike and don’t know much about those older ones.. God damnit I’m born in 1990 haha

thank you people and cheers

Old 01-16-2021 | 08:04 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

91's were the first year for the splined shaft on the trans with the updated clutch and the newer style starter. The clutch basket has a spring plate in it.. There's an extra plate kit you can get to replace that.. They're known to deteriorate over time. Ask the owner if he upgraded that... The Evo motors are very solid foundation, extremely reliable if maintained.. Still a bottom breather, some will puke a little oil at start up but it's nothing to worry about (Usually depends on how long they sit and oil passing through the check valve in the oil pump).. '92s were the first year for the top breathers going back into the carb.. The Softail Fatboy is a very comfortable ride.. It would definitely be better than a Dyna if you're looking to do any kind of miles.. The biggest difference is the FL front end.. Check cylinder base gaskets for leaks, pretty common.. find out what modifications have been made and if the ignition and camshaft and inner camshaft bearing have been upgraded... Also check the shocks they're known to leak out.. anything over 50,000 mi very possibly he's going to need a valve job and you should check the compression.. If the cam has been upgraded most likely the lifters have been as well including the ones can bearing... Depending on the condition and the miles they can value in at 3500 to possibly 5,200..

The following 2 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
hattitude (01-17-2021), HeyDoc (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021 | 10:04 PM
TonyHD
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
91's were the first year for the splined shaft on the trans with the updated clutch and the newer style starter. The clutch basket has a spring plate in it.. There's an extra plate kit you can get to replace that.. They're known to deteriorate over time. Ask the owner if he upgraded that... The Evo motors are very solid foundation, extremely reliable if maintained.. Still a bottom breather, some will puke a little oil at start up but it's nothing to worry about (Usually depends on how long they sit and oil passing through the check valve in the oil pump).. '92s were the first year for the top breathers going back into the carb.. The Softail Fatboy is a very comfortable ride.. It would definitely be better than a Dyna if you're looking to do any kind of miles.. The biggest difference is the FL front end.. Check cylinder base gaskets for leaks, pretty common.. find out what modifications have been made and if the ignition and camshaft and inner camshaft bearing have been upgraded... Also check the shocks they're known to leak out.. anything over 50,000 mi very possibly he's going to need a valve job and you should check the compression.. If the cam has been upgraded most likely the lifters have been as well including the ones can bearing... Depending on the condition and the miles they can value in at 3500 to possibly 5,200..
very much appreciated !! Thank you I will look into that

Old 01-17-2021 | 04:27 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

a rigid mount EVO Softail is going to vibrate at highway speeds considerably more than your rubber mount sportster

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021 | 11:13 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TonyHD

I have posted it only to test the water because I’d like to get a Dyna or a Softail for smoother long ride and little more power. A gentlemen offered me a trade off for his 1991 yellow/white Fat Boy. Colour is secondary and if I get one of those I’ll try and go toward a cholo style anyway.

my big question is:
this is a 1991, mine is a 2008. Almost 20 years newer... how reliable or good are those 1990’s bike.

Biggest problem with that trade, is per Blackbook Powersports, even with the year difference, your bike is worth less in each value category..

Your bike is $2340 less in Average Retail, $1475 less in Auction Wholesale, $1465 less in Clean trade, and $705 less in Fair Trade..

If he knows this, he may be trying to off load a problem bike.... check it out very carefully....

As mentioned above, that 1991 EVO bike can be a very solid, well performing bike. The only thing I will add to 98hotrodfatboy's points is that if I remember correctly, when kept to stock, or slightly modified, the EVOs were awesome in reliability... I seem to remember that some stronger, higher power builds would develop weeping and/or leaking cylinder base gaskets...

I had an '89 Heritage that I bought new and immediately bumped to Stage I (high flow A/C, high flow exhaust, & tune). That bike gave me 50K miles of solid performance and reliability. Nothing but gas, and scheduled service it's entire life......

As also mentioned, by eighteight the EVO softails had a hard mount engine and they were NOT counter balanced like the Twin Cam softail 88B engines ("B" engine started in 2000 I believe). While that lead to more felt vibration than their "B" twin cam softail counterparts, or any rubber mount engine, I don't remember it as a terrible issue. I remember a slight "buzzing" in the bars/grips/footboards at certain speeds like from 70-78 MPH for an example (I don't remember the actual speed range). I took many long, multi day rides on that '89 Heritage. It was my first bike with a windshield, and I thought at the time I had found a luxury cruising machine...!!

Good luck with your decision...

The following users liked this post:
jkinner (01-17-2021)
Old 01-18-2021 | 07:29 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Biggest problem with that trade, is per Blackbook Powersports, even with the year difference, your bike is worth less in each value category..

Your bike is $2340 less in Average Retail, $1475 less in Auction Wholesale, $1465 less in Clean trade, and $705 less in Fair Trade..

If he knows this, he may be trying to off load a problem bike.... check it out very carefully....

As mentioned above, that 1991 EVO bike can be a very solid, well performing bike. The only thing I will add to 98hotrodfatboy's points is that if I remember correctly, when kept to stock, or slightly modified, the EVOs were awesome in reliability... I seem to remember that some stronger, higher power builds would develop weeping and/or leaking cylinder base gaskets...

I had an '89 Heritage that I bought new and immediately bumped to Stage I (high flow A/C, high flow exhaust, & tune). That bike gave me 50K miles of solid performance and reliability. Nothing but gas, and scheduled service it's entire life......

As also mentioned, by eighteight the EVO softails had a hard mount engine and they were NOT counter balanced like the Twin Cam softail 88B engines ("B" engine started in 2000 I believe). While that lead to more felt vibration than their "B" twin cam softail counterparts, or any rubber mount engine, I don't remember it as a terrible issue. I remember a slight "buzzing" in the bars/grips/footboards at certain speeds like from 70-78 MPH for an example (I don't remember the actual speed range). I took many long, multi day rides on that '89 Heritage. It was my first bike with a windshield, and I thought at the time I had found a luxury cruising machine...!!

Good luck with your decision...
You were reading my mind... HD guys know what they have and the value.... EVOs are solid bikes PROVIDED they were maintained. I'd also run a CycleChex (which is still not fool proof). No one trades backwards, i'd need that Evo heavily checked out. If your Sportie is up to date with maint and tires, HOW MUCH off the bat does the Evo need - I have a gut feeling it needs something or the bike is f'ed and he's trying to dump it. My Spidey sence is up on this. My .02, sell the SPortie, have cash in hand and buy a big twin...

Old 01-18-2021 | 11:26 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by eighteight
a rigid mount EVO Softail is going to vibrate at highway speeds considerably more than your rubber mount sportster
True Dat !!
I’ve ridden a couple late model Sportsters
(one was that XR1200)
Dead nuts smooth @ 70-80
Guarantee you a 91 Fatboy isn’t