Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Series "Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:00 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 450 Likes on 294 Posts
Default bike

[QUOTE=scottylj;2000648]Jorge, here are the specs and the detailed photgraphs of Lozza's sleigh - will ya now go and sort it out!

This is straight from the web page (it alleges that Lozzaispretty good on the tools)

"Able to exceeds speeds of 100mph, this 1990 Softail has a v-twin engine, Lorenzo himself personally increased the horsepower above and beyond the original 59 horsepower. At 1340cc and 628 lbs, this is a powerful ride."

Just as an idea, The guys from OCC might want to do the build for you...... you never know
Ph: 845-457-1992
or drop Paul Senior an email - paulsnr@orangecountychoppers.com

Mention to Senior that it's Lorenzo's bike - he is his biggest fan!

Last edited by gerald martin; 01-12-2021 at 04:05 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 01-12-2021, 04:30 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,023 Likes on 524 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Vincent Black
Alright here we go. After an 11 hour round trip I am the proud owner of this 4,300 original mile 1999 Softail. I bought it from the original owner. Too bad he didn't keep the original parts. It's time to start removing the ugly from it. I have lots of parts ordered to start the Renegade build. Does anyone know what kind of front turn signals/mounts were used on the show? The lights are mounted vertically. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Decent sled....:-) Low miles and original sheet metal! Your painter will thank you for that. Thanks for offering to take off the ugly from that bike. I hate lowered Softails. BTW...I had the same front wheel on mine. I got 175 bones for it on craigslist. And another 125 for the solid rear wheel.

The turn signals...These are 2" Classic bullet/marker style lamps (widely available as a re-pop) with Amber lenses front and rear. Chopper builders have used these for decades. Several different mounts/styles used on the different bikes. Front signals (Dual Filament) mounted high outside on Wide Glide forks at the outside of the top triple tree clamp. In most pictures, the bullet lights are mounted with a V-Twin Chrome Bullet Marker Light Mounting Kit.
V-TWIN CHROME BULLET LIGHT LAMP MOUNTING KIT Pt# 31-0202
Also, Cycle Standard Bullet Light Mounting Kit SKU# 002712 matches exactly
( E-bay, J&P, or Jireh Pt# 11-104 )
These classic bullet/marker lights were originally an OEM Harley Davidson Vintage Accessory Part. An authentic original set can cost over $80.00. They were also used as Axle mounted rear lights on the "Captain America" motorcycle from the movie "Easy Rider".
Now, you have your work cut out for you...:-) Please take pictures and post them...

Last edited by SirHarley; 01-12-2021 at 04:32 PM. Reason: info addition
The following users liked this post:
eighteight (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Vincent Black
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all that info! That’s a huge help! Next pics I post it should be well on its way. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:16 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

[QUOTE=gerald martin;19661016]
Originally Posted by scottylj
Jorge, here are the specs and the detailed photgraphs of Lozza's sleigh - will ya now go and sort it out!

This is straight from the web page (it alleges that Lozzaispretty good on the tools)

"Able to exceeds speeds of 100mph, this 1990 Softail has a v-twin engine, Lorenzo himself personally increased the horsepower above and beyond the original 59 horsepower. At 1340cc and 628 lbs, this is a powerful ride."

Just as an idea, The guys from OCC might want to do the build for you...... you never know
Ph: 845-457-1992
or drop Paul Senior an email - paulsnr@orangecountychoppers.com

Mention to Senior that it's Lorenzo's bike - he is his biggest fan!

That is a nice Sporty !!

Old 01-16-2021, 01:31 PM
Renegade ARR
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been awhile since I've been here.. but yeah, I know mine is a tc engine with 95 bore kit and not a stock evo 80.. but it was always meant to be a modern 'tribute' bike that's still me, and not a show used replica. Hence the 'Renegade' logo on the lower forks, and not the stock most likely oxidized gray ones. Most of the casual fans can't tell the difference though between the small visual differences between his 91 and my 2000 anyway, so it does it's job at bike shows. Even Lorenzo was very pleased with it, after it being over 20+ years since he owned the original himself. After Lorenzo rode it and signed it, it will forever be in my possession, it's just hard to want to ride it anymore. Last year, I really just trailered it to bike shows lol. As for 'Vince Black' on the forums here, who is building a tribute bike as well, unfortunately all I can say about the air cleaner cover and turn signal mounts, is that I literally fabricated them myself. A good mexican blanket roll was also very hard to find. Good luck with the painter to, it took me a while to find one who could screen replicate that job to...

Old 01-17-2021, 12:46 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

Oxidized fork lowers can be wet sanded and restored to better than show room new. I also buffed them to an almost chrome like finish. I like to think that I put the "custom" back in "Softail Custom" I also went with chrome spokes (F & R) the way the "A" bike was. Just to add a little more bling.

Anybody building one of these should look at pictures of the original, and not copies. There are plenty of pics on the internet of the TV show original Renegade bike. Everyone seems to stop when they have enough $$ involved or get stalled on parts availability. Make a copy of a copy and you always diminish the end result. For example when the US Treasury teaches their employees how to spot counterfeits, they have them study the original notes. Then they can easily spot the fakes.
Take your project to the level that you feel most comfortable. Then ride the Bejeezus out of it...

Last edited by SirHarley; 01-17-2021 at 01:58 PM. Reason: info addition, pics
Old 01-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Renegade ARR
Novice

To each their own I guess right? I was never really out to impress anyone, or have it win trophies at some high end bike show for being screen accurate to the bolt. (I'm plenty happy with it being bike of the month in Easyriders Magazine 2 years ago). My end result again, was a 'tribute' to his bike, while still being my own. If it entertains fans in the meantime, that is a bonus for sure. Regardless, I would still much rather have the only Renegade bike outside of the show's, that Lorenzo himself actually rode and endorsed, rather then a screen 1:1 replica that he will never actually see in person. I don't expect that to happen for everyone, so I can see the appeal of going for a screen replica instead though. Good luck to them, and glad to see the spirit of the Renegade bike continue on.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:19 AM
SirHarley
Road Warrior
Cool Mexican blanket

Originally Posted by Renegade ARR
A good mexican blanket roll was also very hard to find. Good luck with the painter to, it took me a while to find one who could screen replicate that job to...
In less than 5 minutes on Amazon....20 dollars. Free shipping, delivered in 3 days! :-)

84 X 59 Inch Mexican Serape Blanket Bay Window Blanket, Mexican Tablecloth Serape Tatami Blanket Bed Blanket Table Cover Tapestry Blanket Picnic Mat for Mexican Party Wedding Decorations

A Serape. A South Western "Saltillo", Mexican blanket or Shawl
A Mexican blanket wrapped up into a cylinder and Bungee corded to the handlebars is present in nearly every available picture of Reno's motorcycle. Typical Mexican/Southwest color motif are arranged in a striped pattern. Several different color combinations were used during the series. The bedroll is usually shown mounted to the lower Handlebars and sitting just atop the front turn signals and attached by black Nylon Bungee cords with Red metal hooks. Some flat black rubber bungees and even brown leather straps were seen as well.

Last edited by SirHarley; 01-29-2021 at 12:00 PM. Reason: info addition, pics
Old 01-29-2021, 12:34 PM
Renegade ARR
Novice

I mean if you want purple in it if I guess? Regardless, my bike is a one of a kind years in the making project, I'm not just starting to look for things now, nor do I want mine to be like somebody else's. Hell, there were multiple versions on the show, so making a 'one all, be all' replica is redundant anyway. Few people, which includes myself, also know directly from Lorenzo, that yes he owned the original bike, but even it was modded before it hit the screen.
Also, I'm not sure why this is suddenly becoming a competition or who can make the best "high level" copy lol. I mean, paint a softail with some flames, and enjoy your bike personally, end of story.
Lorenzo himself signed mine, endorsed it on his facebook live, and twitter, as well as rode it. I'll take that with my custom tribute bike with hand made parts, over gray colored lower forks, or exact factory bought stock parts ANY DAY. Peace out.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:48 PM
SirHarley
Road Warrior

This is not a competition... This is a forum for Harley riders to freely exchange ideas, and share information. Don't know where you're coming from on that. I'm just trying to help out people who may want to make this endeavor. and hope they don't make my mistakes. Some things will be more difficult to find. I don't make it harder than it has to be. It's not like I am holding on to grandmothers recipe and going to take it to the grave with me. I will share what I know and if HD forum readers want to read it, maybe they can use it. If not, it's no skin off my nose. In the end there is really no wrong way to build a renegade tribute bike. Anyways, after a few wash cycles the purple, will look more blue and road worn as in the series. There were even blankets with purple and more with heather grey. I happen to personally like the ones with the multicolor S/W motif.

I wish all readers well, and the best of luck.
Renegade AAR....Peace brother....! I meant no harm.

Last edited by SirHarley; 01-29-2021 at 01:41 PM. Reason: info addition, pics
The following users liked this post:
eighteight (01-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Harley Series "Renegade"